Concertina&squeezebox Magazine Reader's Tapes

Hi,

In the process of trying to rescue my old cassette tape collection, I ran accross my set of C&S Readers Tapes, so I threw them into the pile and got them digitized. I put them up on a

web page for you listening pleasure.

If I can find the server space, I'll post the tapes as zip files, but for now, each track is separate.

Have fun!

ed

Good Lord, what an amazing resource! Over the years I've been able to accumulate most of the C&S magazines, but I've never heard any of the tapes. I've just pickd out a few tunes so far, and you've done a nice job on the transfer.

My thanks, you've opened up a lot of good listening here.

I don't know what the copyright implications are but if we're all sensible about it I don't think it should be an issue.

Chris

Hi,

In the process of trying to rescue my old cassette tape collection, I ran accross my set of C&S Readers Tapes, so I threw them into the pile and got them digitized. I put them up on a

web page for you listening pleasure.

If I can find the server space, I'll post the tapes as zip files, but for now, each track is separate.

Have fun!

ed

Ed, Great job!

This will be a great resource. Many thanks for your efforts.

Thanks, Ed. Great stuff!!

I was a going to ask about tune and artist identification when I scrolled down and found you had taken care of that.

Very thoughtful of you to share.

Greg

I think that you're ok based on what George said in this post when the tapes came up in an earlier thread. Thanks, Ed!

Daniel

I did check with George Salley who indicated no problem with making them available. I plan to leave them up until I hear otherwise. Enjoy!

ed

Ed,

Many thanks!!

I have a few of these old C&S cassettes....somehwere....but never listen to them (and a gazillion other old cassettes) simply because they are too hard to mess with in this digital age (and my car no longer has a cassette slot). It is wonderful that you have made them again accessible; I've been picking and choosing some of the tunes for my iPod.

I looked in the attic last night for the 'Original Reader's Tape', to be able to provide you with the missing documentation, without any luck. I seem to remember that Daniel Hirsch said once on this Forum that he had a set, so maybe he'll come up with the liner notes for it.

Dan

I do indeed, and I'm already in contact with Ed.

I seem to remember that Daniel Hirsch said once on this Forum that he had a set, so maybe he'll come up with the liner notes for it.

Daniel,

That's great...thanks!

I must do better at spelling your name, though.

Dan

There are still problems on the Son Of... tracks, the first set of tracks are either cut incorrectly, or the liner notes are incorrect. I know the first track is the first on my tape, but it's not Mississippi Blues, the second track is. Any help identifying from the audio which tracks are which would be appreciated. I think start with track 12 and on we're ok.

regards,

ed

Well done Ed – and good quality. I have the first three tapes but somehow I didn’t get the fourth one.

One of my favourite tracks is “A Nautical Melody” by Alf Edwards from the Brides of Readers Tape. I listen to Take the Floor on BBC Scotland regularly and a few weeks ago they had a band competition. I taped Band 8 who played a tune similar to to this tune and I think it was called “John MacColl's Farewell to the Scottish Horse” Have a listen here.

What do people think?

Well done Ed – and good quality. I have the first three tapes but somehow I didn’t get the fourth one.

One of my favourite tracks is “A Nautical Melody” by Alf Edwards from the Brides of Readers Tape. I listen to Take the Floor on BBC Scotland regularly and a few weeks ago they had a band competition. I taped Band 8 who played a tune similar to to this tune and I think it was called “John MacColl's Farewell to the Scottish Horse” Have a listen here.

What do people think?

Not sure if you taped the right bit here. The tune you linked to is what is generally known as The March Hare.

Maybe it has other names???

post-121-1178796275_thumb.jpg

MC

Edited by malcolm clapp