Claiming Our Place In The English Language

.....I thought it was supposed to be pronounced "stodgy".

..........Or if you're burnin' out a fast reel, maybe a "stogie"?

...............Or if you're overacting with it, "stagey"?

Or if it has poor action, or it is victim to sloopy fingering "Soggy?"

Thanks to all of you for helping to muddy the waters. I probably should hve posed the question about Lachenal pronounciation as a new thread. This is fun, any way. Especially for those of us who live on the moon and rarely see a concertina, much less hear one pronounced.

Pronounciation is one of the great buggaboos of the English language. As one with more degrees in that subject than any one has a right to, I just enjoy hearing how others use it.

Have fun,

Jim Robertson

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my Belgian friend replied and said

Now concerning our friend Louis Lachenal, his name looks French to me so I think you'll have to pronounce the CH in his name as SH (like in sheet). The A's are pronounced as the A in bath.

Which only goes to show that another correspondent who said

Louis Lachenal was a Swiss Tool-Maker!

was undoubedly right. For myself, I've completely forgotten, except I'm fairly certain he didn't come from Tasmania, Personally I think it rhymes with Arsenal. Gosh, this Calvados is good!

Chris

This is fun ... for those of us who ... rarely see a concertina, much less hear one pronounced.

con-CHAIR-tin-uh ?

It amazes me how many people call it a "constant Tina". But then there are people today who don't even know who Dwight Eisenhower was, who mispronounce "nuclear" the same way that he made popular: "NOO-kyoo-lar". :)

Well my Belgian friend replied and said
Now concerning our friend Louis Lachenal, his name looks French to me so I think you'll have to pronounce the CH in his name as SH (like in sheet). The A's are pronounced as the A in bath.

Sounds like he doesn't know how many different ways there are in English to pronounce the "a" in "bath". Then again, maybe that was his point. :)

Back to the other subject of types of concertinists etc... What about those who play those monstrous Chemnitzers?

I was thinking "Chemnitzite" or just "Chemnist".

Some of those guys are not aware that any other kind of concertina exists, and many consider any other type of concertina to be a toy. So, I guess they would be Chemnichouvenists?

Now, if one plays both English, and Anglo, and Duet, (and maybe even Chemnitzer), the would that person be an Omnitinist?

What about those who play those monstrous Chemnitzers?

I was thinking "Chemnitzite"...

Sounds like the mineral they make those heavy things out of.

...or just "Chemnist".

And the attraction between players of those things is called "chemnistry"?

Now, if one plays both English, and Anglo, and Duet, (and maybe even Chemnitzer), the would that person be an Omnitinist?

I think "optimist" would suffice (says an incurable optimist). :)

Reading all this, it occurs to me what an odd choice of words "concertina" is. Strictly speaking, a performance by one musician is not a concert, but a recital. A concert is a performance by more than one musician. So what imagery is "concertina" supposed to conjure up? A multi-instrumentalist performance in a box?

A concert is a performance by more than one musician. So what imagery is "concertina" supposed to conjure up?

Well, isn't "-ina" a diminutive suffix? And what's smaller than several musicians? One musician! :)

By the way, I was surprised at your definition, so I looked it up in my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, which agrees that a "concert" involves multiple performers or "voices". (So a "duet" concertina might qualify?) But I grew up with the understanding that a "concert" was full-length formal performance, with no reference to number of performers, while a "recital" was a presentation (a subtle distinction, I'm sure) -- often, but not necessarily, by students -- to demonstrate the performer's (or performers') accomplishments. I've certainly been to "recitals" of duos, trios, etc.

A difference in dialect between the unschooled masses and those formally trained in music? I don't know. But I'll try to remember to tap my feet as I play, the next time I do a solo "concert". :-)

Some time ago, I found a postcard tucked into one of my father's books.

It was a picture of the McNeill Evangelistic Party, one of whose members was Mr Duncan McNeill, described as Concertinaist.

(The other members were described as Preacher, Soloist and Pianist!)

The group was pictured gathered round a grand piano, and the concertina in the picture seemed to be a Aeola tenor-treble.

From the style, I would estimate the picture to be taken around the 1920s.

(When did spats go out of fashion?)

So concertinaist seems to be a valid term.

You mean SPATS ARE OUT OF FASHION?

Concertini - Very small Concertina.

Concertommy - A Rock 'n' Roll Concertina.

Concertubbys - An annoying childs television show. About Concertinas.

Concertales - Storys about Concertinas.

Concertina.net - Center of the Universe.

Concert-height - What you say when a concertina player sneezes.

Concertable - Music within the range of MY Concertina.

And the philosopher who plays this type of concertina is Chemnietsche?

Ouch! Next thing you know, someone will be inventing the Kafkatina. :o

But I think Concertinagaard sounds much better than Kirkegaard. The former could mean either "concertina farm" or "concertina playground". The latter means "churchyard", or more colloquially, "cemetery". That pretty well sums up what I think of the study of "philosophy". :)