Baritone Anglo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a baritone in F/C. The maker isn't identified, although I suspect it's a Lachenal.

Although it's only a tone below my G/D, the construction and different quality of sound definitely makes it a baritone. The low notes are wonderful, but they're quite slow to speak. Also, it only has six-fold bellows, so air management can be a problem. I therefore have to alter my playing style - I usually like to play quite full chords, but I have to be more economic with air and also maximise the pressure to get the low reeds moving.

I'm in agreement with those who love the sound of a baritone. However I wouldn't have it as my main instrument as I prefer something more responsive. But for songs and slower tunes, it's great.

Here's a picture of it (next to a 40 key C/G Crabb for comparison)

Dear membership

I have just learned to navigate my MAC and have recorded this sample of the Baritone just completed.

http://hmi.homewood.net/bari3/baritone.mp3 "The Old Resting Chair" this is a simple and spare cover of the melody

http://hmi.homewood.net/bari3/sbsm.mp3 Shebeg/Shemor.... maybe over arranged and underrehearsed?

http://hmi.homewood.net/bari3/nrs/mp3 New Rigged Ship...thanks Bertram Levy and apologies!

Please give this a listen and tell me what you think of the timbre.

Bob Tedrow

Edited by Bob Tedrow

Well, excepting all the caveats about determining sound quality from mp3's, I have to say that does sound mighty purdy. It doesn't quite have the harmonium quality of my Dipper, but that's an unfair comparison in many respects. It does have that richness and sweetness of tone that I like in a concertina, and has a more "concertina-like" sound than many accordion-reeded instruments (but it has long been an observation of mine that the lower the note the more alike the two types of reed sound).

As we say in these parts: lovely job!

Chris

PS I've heard that tune before in sessions but I can't remember what it's called. It's certainly a good choice for the instrument

I've had this hankering for a while now for a baritone anglo for song accompaniment. The trouble is, I'm a bit worried by the general lack of instruments and popularity - I don't know anybody who plays one, but I do know people who play tenor english, if not baritone. I'm also concerned about limited chording and the potential lack of air.

I currently play C/G anglo (Wakker Phoenix) so I'm thinking stay with a familiar instrument format. On the other hand, given the potential problems with a baritone anglo, maybe I should just buckle down and learn the english system and get a tenor or baritone english.

Any advice?

I don't know if it's of any help / interest, but with reference to responses suggesting a G/D anglo as a baritone substitute, I have both a Dipper G/D and a Dipper G/D bass anglo. I'd suggest the ordinary G/D would be nearer your needs, as long as you can sing in those keys available, of course. The bass is a fabulous instrument, but more of a Bernard Wrigley " Nellie the Elephant " sort of noise, than a box for more sensitive numbers. How about Bb/ F ??

Well, excepting all the caveats about determining sound quality from mp3's, I have to say that does sound mighty purdy. It doesn't quite have the harmonium quality of my Dipper, but that's an unfair comparison in many respects. It does have that richness and sweetness of tone that I like in a concertina, and has a more "concertina-like" sound than many accordion-reeded instruments (but it has long been an observation of mine that the lower the note the more alike the two types of reed sound).

As we say in these parts: lovely job!

Chris

PS I've heard that tune before in sessions but I can't remember what it's called. It's certainly a good choice for the instrument

It's off "Buttons and Bows" Manus Mcguire et. al. "The Old Resting Chair"

I have both a Dipper G/D and a Dipper G/D bass anglo.

You lucky bugger!

The Dipper bass anglo that I met once had (if my memory serves me right) green ends, and I played it on the front at Sidmouth. That wasn't you by any chance? I ask because I know there are very, very few of these beasts around.

Chris

PS Thanks, Bob.

"Please give this a listen and tell me what you think of the timbre.

Bob Tedrow"

I really enjoyed your playing and the richness of the sound on the baritone. Affirms my conviction that I'd like to own one of these someday.

"Please give this a listen and tell me what you think of the timbre.

Bob Tedrow"

I really enjoyed your playing and the richness of the sound on the baritone. Affirms my conviction that I'd like to own one of these someday.

Hi Howard.................I used to own this concertina...a Wheatstone Linota anglo....tuned in F and C.It was the most wonderful instrument to accompany one's voice.When I posted about the instrument two or three years ago I was corrected and told it wasn't a baritone anglo,as that suggests it is a transposing instrument ( down one octave).However it plays in a baritone range...so I don't know.

In reply to Robin above,my voice lies in the upper baritone range, so I found my voice stood out well from the lower pitched concertina. I wonder if you've experimented with a higher accompaniment to your lower voice ?

Cheers

Another Robin (but not Montreal Robin)

I used to own this concertina...a Wheatstone Linota anglo....tuned in F and C.

Robin, are you sure? Wasn't yours metal-ended with metal buttons?

Howard's has wooden ends and bone buttons. Also, I was told that yours wound up in Ireland.

When I posted about the instrument two or three years ago I was corrected and told it wasn't a baritone anglo,as that suggests it is a transposing instrument ( down one octave).However it plays in a baritone range...so I don't know.

The term "baritone" in concertinas generally means an octave below standard. The standard (C/G) anglo has a lower bottom note than the standard (treble) English, reaching down to the same low C as a tenor-treble English. Similarly, the standard (C/G) "baritone" anglo extends down to the cello low C of a "bass" English. A standard G/D anglo lies about half way between the standard and the "baritone", so it might be called a "tenor" if anglo terminology parallelled English terminology. But it doesn't. It's just called a "G/D". Similarly, I think both your F/C's should simply be called "F/C", since "baritone F/C" would imply an octave lower still.

However... the bodies of both your F/C's do seem to be of the "baritone" size, i.e., the size normally used for the much lower "baritone" anglos. It does seem to give them a much richer sound. But I'm not familiar with any other F/C's. Has anyone here seen F/C anglos in the same size body as G/D's? I speculate that F/C tuning in a baritone body might have been a "standard special" (to coin a term), possibly for the Salvation Army, as the pitch would correspond to a G/D in the same way as a Bb/F corresponds to a C/G, while the richer sound from the larger body would be desirable for accompanying hymns.

But as I say, that's speculation.

The term "baritone" in concertinas generally means an octave below standard.

<Snip>

However... the bodies of both your F/C's do seem to be of the "baritone" size, i.e., the size normally used for the much lower "baritone" anglos. It does seem to give them a much richer sound.

Perhaps I've got the terminology wrong. But the body is of "baritone" size and the tone is certainly richer than my G/D, although the pitch is only a tone lower.

How can I put it? To me, my G/D and C/G feel as if they are simply different versions of the same instrument. The F/C feels as if it belongs in a different category, and not just because of its size but also the sound.

Perhaps the F/C of this type should be considered as being at the top end of the baritone range, and without an equivalent in the treble range. In other words, they could be thought of as being an octave below a "notional" treble F/C (the top notes of which would be mainly of interest to dogs!)

The term "baritone" in concertinas generally means an octave below standard.

<Snip>

However... the bodies of both your F/C's do seem to be of the "baritone" size, i.e., the size normally used for the much lower "baritone" anglos. It does seem to give them a much richer sound.

Perhaps I've got the terminology wrong. But the body is of "baritone" size and the tone is certainly richer than my G/D, although the pitch is only a tone lower.

How can I put it? To me, my G/D and C/G feel as if they are simply different versions of the same instrument. The F/C feels as if it belongs in a different category, and not just because of its size but also the sound.

Perhaps the F/C of this type should be considered as being at the top end of the baritone range, and without an equivalent in the treble range. In other words, they could be thought of as being an octave below a "notional" treble F/C (the top notes of which would be mainly of interest to dogs!)

Arf! ;)

Your terminology is "wrong" only in that it seems not to have been used generally, so others seeing it might misunderstand. I think this is simply a case where using a "simple" description such as "baritone F/C" can be misleading, but a somewhat longer description -- e.g., "F/C a step below standard G/D, but in a baritone-size body" -- would be much clearer.

Yes Jim............you were the one who corrected me ! Quite rightly I think..........I don't think they are baritone anglos, but I completely agree with Howard, they feel and sound like a different "category" of concertina,hence the inclination to call them baritones. A true baritone F/C would sound like a bass and so on

BTW,mine was ebony ended, metal buttons.I've been trying to get a pic to stick, but there's a global overload, or something. I sent you pics in 2003 so you may well have them in your archive.

Robin

BTW,mine was ebony ended, metal buttons.I've been trying to get a pic to stick, but there's a global overload, or something. I sent you pics in 2003 so you may well have them in your archive.

OK, I thought I remembered yours as ebony ended, but I found pictures in my archive of a metal-ended, large anglo, labelled "Linota F-C", so I thought my memory was wrong. Now I'm wondering where I got those photos, and where I put yours. Obviously not a unique setup, is it? :)