Where Are You From?

Just a quick thought. Often I read in the forum questions like 'where an I get....', but equally often there is no indication as to where the person lives! This makes it much more difficult to answer these sort of enquiries. There is a space provided for location, why not use it? It would be a great help to me, at the very least!

Chris (from darkest sarff-east Lundun)

Hear hear! There is nothing sinister in filling in the "Location" box when you sign in, it simply makes it easier for c.netters to come up with useful suggestions. Why not update your profile now? (click on "My Controls" at the top of the screen.

Samantha

Well I put where I am from and where I now reside. I put the where I am from to give an indication that English is my second language, Yorkshire dialect being my first. There is a real difference in vocabulary and grammer and it has got me into a dispute on this website! Particularly the "Yorkshire question" which to everyone not from Yorkshire sounds and reads like you are making a statement :rolleyes:

Careful! We are in danger of sinking into Dick van Dyke territory...
Strange. When I saw the mention of Dick van Dyke in a thread called "Where Are You From?" it brought back memories of growing up in New Rochelle, NY. A very common interchange whenever I met someone was:

Where are you from?
New Rochelle.
Do you know Dick van Dyke?

it brought back memories of growing up in New Rochelle,

As a fairly precocious 9 year old watching the very same show, but in a different continent, I alway used to puzzle over why anybody would want to call a town Neuro Shell. True!

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Careful! We are in danger of sinking into Dick van Dyke territory...

Strange. When I saw the mention of Dick van Dyke in a thread called "Where Are You From?" it brought back memories of growing up in New Rochelle, NY. A very common interchange whenever I met someone was:

Where are you from?
New Rochelle.
Do you know Dick van Dyke?

Which in turn reminds me of the time I asked a young woman in Montana where she was from.

"New Jersey," she replied. Now as you might know or not, the stock response in the US to that comment is, "Which exit?" (New Jersey is quite urbanized)

So, I asked her as a joke, and she told me, with a perfectly straight face, "27."

Don't ask about which exit if they come from Brooklyn - it might be the "Last"!

There is a real difference in vocabulary and grammer

Have to agree with Peter - while and untill are interchangeable in Yorkshire and only programmers know the difference. (As are lend and borrow).

But at least we talk reit, tha noz.

Howdy:

Alright, you got me.

All (or most) of you.

Born in Brooklyn.

Attended high school in Mount Vernon, N.Y., right next door to New Rochelle (Hi Dave!)

AND

Now living right off exit 165 in New Joisy.

Are there any players with a Kansas connection?

I have that also to add to my list if need be.

Have fun,

Perry Werner

By the way, why are British folk sometimes referred to as limeys? Does it have anything to do with your naval history?

Yes. British naval ships carried a cargo of limes (rich in vitamin C) for the crew to stave off scurvy. A Scotsman by the name of Lauchlan Rose devised a way to preserve the fruit in sugar and invented the first alcohol free fruit cordial (where's the fun in that, hey?) - at least, that's what is says on the bottle in my kitchen!

Samantha

By the way, why are British folk sometimes referred to as limeys? Does it have anything to do with your naval history?

I believe it is because US Navy ships arriving at London docked at Limehouse quay, and the term limeys was derived from that and adopted by US sailors.

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild