Where Are You From?

By the way, why are British folk sometimes referred to as limeys?

I've always wondered about the expression "Blimey!" Now, does that have anything at all to do with Limeys?

'Fraid not, received wisdom is that this, (full form is "Gor-" or "Cor Blimey") is a contraction of the oath "G-d blind me!". Next question ... :rolleyes: ?

Samantha

Blimey was first noted at the end of the 19th century, at that time 'to blind' was to curse! It is a cockney expression, cockneys being Londoners born 'within the sound of Bow Bells' - so how come a Scot knows all abaht it?

Chris

Blimey was first noted at the end of the 19th century, at that time 'to blind' was to curse! It is a cockney expression, cockneys being Londoners born 'within the sound of Bow Bells' - so how come a Scot knows all abaht it?

Chris

Because I was born in Camden Tahn, within the sound of the lion's roar from the Zoo! I'm only a quarter Scots (and not telling which quarter that is!).

Samantha

Raised all over the country, but I've been living in Ohio for the past 12 years.

By the way, why are British folk sometimes referred to as limeys? Does it have anything to do with your naval history?

From www.dictionary.com

Short for lime juicer(from the use of lime juice on British warships in order to prevent scurvy)

Oh yes, while I'm on this thread, I'm from Newcastle on Tyne, but moved south with my parents as a child. Damned shame to lost that Geordie accent.