Re homing reeds.

Hello, A few years back I showed this awfully butchered large duet concertina.I hoped the reeds left in it would be reasonable quality and they appeared to be. I have finally got around to making them a new home. it was quite a challenge squeezing them in but I'm pretty happy with the resulting 32button D/G.Apart from a bit more tweeking it is starting to play /sound better than I was expecting.Sorry no idea why some of  the pictures are rotated? regards David.IMG_21417.jpg.ed0266de5170302658387eccb825d98e.jpgIMG_20240327_1625508776.thumb.jpg.1dc6dfabe7f243b6efa64d1c9f444df0.jpgIMG_20240501_155129619_HDR1.thumb.jpg.4b39e89a621b96345eb0b29b484a753a.jpgIMG_20240501_1544556553.thumb.jpg.e70b6f19b3386b652a5e317d61ecdeab.jpgIMG_20240501_1545499684.thumb.jpg.d456d7a2896cf87cd3919869907c57ce.jpg

IMG_20240501_1548179605.jpg

• Like 2

It must be very satisfying to make and playyour own instrument. How did you cut the fretwork? It looks like stainless steel with flat edges.

10 minutes ago, Tiposx said:

It must be very satisfying to make and playyour own instrument. How did you cut the fretwork? It looks like stainless steel with flat edges.

The ends are fret sawn german silver.I'm afraid the photos are rather poor as it is dull and rainy here today and I took the with a phone.

On 5/1/2024 at 6:41 PM, DDF said:

The ends are fret sawn german silver.I'm afraid the photos are rather poor as it is dull and rainy here today and I took the with a phone.

Is that tadpoles in the fretwork design? Very intriguing. Chapeau for the overall conversion from me as well, looks like a very nice job!

5 hours ago, RAc said:

Is that tadpoles in the fretwork design? Very intriguing. Chapeau for the overall conversion from me as well, looks like a very nice job!

Thanks, I asked my grand children what they thought I should design in to the end and they came up with all sorts of ideas,elephants ,dinosaurs,tractors etc. Just post xmas I was out checking the state of the local frog spawn progress(it has been in rapid decline around here) and it occurred to me the button area on a concertina resembles a mass of spawn. so the design was born mother frog watching over her brood with a pond snail looking after my air button. I'm now glad I took a chance and bought that rough duet, although the reeds were the only usable parts in it.

• Like 1

I seen them pollywogs but didn't catch snailly.  Nice job!  Looking for a parts box myself for a Jeff duet.  Did you build parallel chambers or radial?

7 minutes ago, wunks said:

I seen them pollywogs but didn't catch snailly.  Nice job!  Looking for a parts box myself for a Jeff duet.  Did you build parallel chambers or radial?

Thanks ,I made radial chambers the wood came from a locally felled sycamore tree.Good luck on your search, only go for one that was a good box to start with to save lots work ending in a disappointing result. regards David.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, richard said:

Could you post a video of it being played? SVP

There you go Richard. I leave that up for a few days as it was recorded on a cheap phone and my recording skills are only slightly worse than my musical skills! Regards David.

• Like 4

On 5/5/2024 at 8:40 AM, DDF said:

There you go Richard. I leave that up for a few days as it was recorded on a cheap phone and my recording skills are only slightly worse than my musical skills! Regards David.

Joe Bane's and Gypsy Princess! A lovely pairing indeed, and reminds me I should give Cormac Begley and Jack Talty's record another listen soon. Well done, both on your playing and the instrument build!