Alan Day book - now available

The Anglo Concertina Music of Alan Day is now out and available through Red Cow Music (UK) and Amazon!

With musical notation for the melody and Anglo button numbers and tab like all the other Rollston Press books, plus QR code links to videos of Alan playing the tunes.

It has been a pleasure working with Alan on this book - 65 tunes, of which 46 of which were composed by Alan in a variety of styles, and including one surprise tune composed very recently.

A couple of weeks ago I posted his tune "Bonjour Mazurka" here on CNET.

The book also includes a QR code link to Alan's 20-button Anglo Tutor audio files on the ICA website.

I've really enjoyed transcribing and playing his tunes, and I'll be teaching "Chocolate Rabbit" at the Old Palestine Concertina Weekend in East Texas in two weeks. With luck I will have some copies of the book with me, hot off the press.

Kudos to Alan for writing so many great tunes and for being such a tireless promoter of the concertina.

It's both a privilege and an honor to showcase his work. Hope you all enjoy it too!

Gary

Edited by gcoover
  • Like 6

And the tunes:

The AbigailL Waltz, Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy, Al Day’s Waltz, Al’s Minor, Always Loved  Never Forgotten, Archie Minor, Auntie Ada’s Waltz, Battle of the Somme, The Bees Knees Hop Step, Bonjour Mazurka, Chocolate Rabbit, Commonwealth Hornpipe, Commonwealth Jig, Coquetterie, Croissants et Café, David Stanton Waltz, Fairy Dance, The Flo Waltz, French Set – Rondeau, French Set – Bourree, Fubu Waltz (Version 1), Fubu Waltz (Version 2), Gatwick Express, Glastonbury Hornpipe, The Green Shoots of Spring, The Harbour Inn Jig, The Hollesley Frolic, I Only Want to Dance with You, In the Toyshop, Jean’s Waltz, Jenny’s Hornpipe, King Cotton March (Second Part), La Marianne Waltz, Limey Pete, Little Eavie, Little Mark’s Tune, Manor Royal March, Manor Royal Waltz, March of the Concertinas, Mazurka Gasconne, Mazurka Lapleau, Moonlight Hop, Morris Oxford, New Year Stomp, Oats and Beans, The Old Smithy, Old Tom Cat Hopstep, Pint of Cockles, Plasir d’Amour, Plum Duff, Processional March, The Queen’s Jubilee, Ro’s Tune, Shingle Street, Sidmouth Polka, Snow Flakes are Falling, Son ar Chistr, Spring Bumbles, Stream to River Flows, The Day Thou Gavest Lord is Ended, Three-Part French Schottische, Tom Tolley’s Hornpipe, Turn Off the Gas Mantle, Up with the Sparrow’s Fart, The Wiggle Woggle Jig.

Gary

• Like 1

And here are the dots to the simplified version of Chocolate Rabbit that will be part of the harmonic-style Anglo workshop at the Old Pal Concertina Weekend this coming March 22-23 in East Texas.

Now you can play along with the video posted earlier.

From Alan's notes:

"One of my early tunes that started with a base run and thinking "If only there was a tune with a base run like this in it". Well here it is!"

Gary

Chocolate-Rabbit-Alan-Day-2.pdf

Thanks!

On 3/10/2024 at 8:39 PM, gcoover said:

And also available now in Kindle format. Thanks, Owen!

Gary

Thanks! For what it's worth, it looks like "86 Swiss & German Folksongs for Anglo Concertina" and "75 More Irish Session Tunes for Anglo Concertina" still aren't available in Kindle format.

Unfortunately not - Alan used a different button numbering system for his Twenty Button Anglo from 2004.

This new tunebook uses the same "1a-10" numbering system that is in the other Rollston Press books. 

Gary

2 hours ago, Owen Anderson said:

Thanks!

Thanks! For what it's worth, it looks like "86 Swiss & German Folksongs for Anglo Concertina" and "75 More Irish Session Tunes for Anglo Concertina" still aren't available in Kindle format.

My trusty worker, Jeff Bezos, says they should be available in the next 72 hours.

Gary

• Like 1

Just to recap Gary's hard work.

The book provides the basic tune dots, Against each dot is a number showing the button I am pushing or pulling.

Other numbers are provided giving the accompaniment I am playing.

A page is dedicated explaining the push pull notes and numbering system Gary uses  Just in case your Anglo system is a different

layout to mine.

A link is provided to me actually playing the tune, so you can play along with it.

Thanks again to Gary and for your interest.

Al

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 9:51 PM, gcoover said:

Unfortunately not - Alan used a different button numbering system for his Twenty Button Anglo from 2004.

This new tunebook uses the same "1a-10" numbering system that is in the other Rollston Press books. 

Gary

Thanks, Gary.