post-Brexit shipping

The EU postal system must be the next big challenge for A I. I live in England and recently purchased an item in the Republic of Ireland to be sent to one of their fellow confederates in the Netherlands.

Postage 100 eu.  Postage to their arch-enemy UK: 15 eu.

No longer hope of a global village.

Les Branchett

3 hours ago, Peter Laban said:

That statement is just plain silly.

I could qualify it and say that the EU have less incentive to make smooth and easy importation work well by small companies and individuals from non EU countries (because most of their trade is driven by geopolitical boundaries …the EU…which incidentally I think is a brilliant thing). And anecdotally this seems to be the case. But it may also be silly. Thanks for pointing it out.

I think it shows that there is need for people to make and supply within this British isles area; as well as for export.

Unortunately , everything has been outsourced to other realms, which means a lot of stuff you want is merely ordered through British companies, but is made or sent from warehouse in the continent.

Producers, of musical or creative products should supply also within the GB area, from originating products, to sending items out.

Why, for example, should one send for manuscript paper, or other basic items, only to find they are being sent from the continent?.. so small companies here is a market for you, almost ready with UK itself.

I think it's in everybody's interest to have smooth functioning postal system. To pretend there is some sort agenda or no interest in the EU in having things function smoothly is  as I said, just plain silly. The fact these last few posts attempt to lay the blame at the EU's door, framing the UK as the EU's arch enemy is telling, you poor little mites,   but let's not go there.

I used to buy quite a few things from the UK but have been avoiding this since Brexit 'got done', due to the cost involved (shipping cost, not customs charges) and unreliability of the UK postal system (as well as the UK dropping out of EU consumer protection laws).

In reality it is cheaper and more efficient to get items sent from the continent (to Ireland). The few times I did order from the UK, due to a lack of alternatives,  postage was expensive and delivery was slow with packages sitting around warehouses in England for at least a week (followed by next day delivery once they made it to Dublin sorting facilities).

46 minutes ago, Peter Laban said:

The fact these last few posts attempt to lay the blame at the EU's door

It’s a bit of a stretch to read that from my posts (if that’s what you were saying). And anyway I'm a big fan of the EU.  I’m merely pointing out that there seems to be more friction getting stuff from the UK to the EU than the other way around. You can speculate on the reasons for that. I don’t think it applies to trade between the UK and EIRE AFAICT.

coming back to my „case“, I can clarify that the delay was (albeit customs-related) mainly on the side of DHL (in Germany) - and of course the requirement of collecting the shipped goods at the customs is a nuisance, but an unevitable one, and annoyingly expensive too

(however, I‘m very glad I took all that upon myself here)

best wishes - 🐺

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

• 6 months later...

I'll never purchase another big ticket item from overseas. It's was held up in customs. The purchase didn't work out, and then I had to figure out return shipping/insurance (easier said, than done). It was an expensive lesson.

• 2 months later...

I’ll be curious to see how this goes for me. I recently purchased a 20b Lachenal from the UK via eBay (I live in Portugal). I did pay the hefty duties which had been pre-calculated via the eBay Global shipping programme plus shipping. 

It’s been a week. Hopefully it won’t be too crazy a wait. 

“Government do take a bite, don’t she?”

Edited by Paula
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Paula said:

I’ll be curious to see how this goes for me. I recently purchased a 20b Lachenal from the UK via eBay (I live in Portugal). I did pay the hefty duties which had been pre-calculated via the eBay Global shipping programme plus shipping.

In theory you shouldn't have to pay any extra fees because the eBay shipping system charged you in advance. Good luck with your new instrument!

3 hours ago, alex_holden said:

In theory you shouldn't have to pay any extra fees because the eBay shipping system charged you in advance. Good luck with your new instrument!

Yes, and just as importantly, it may not be held in import status as long. Times I’ve purchased items where you don’t pay up front, it can sit for weeks while they determine the duties etc. 

im looking forward to this concertina. It’s my first. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Paula said:

Yes, and just as importantly, it may not be held in import status as long. Times I’ve purchased items where you don’t pay up front, it can sit for weeks while they determine the duties etc. 

Exactly where I have been with my most recent purchase (as reported above), should be avoided by any means.

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

Was that using eBay’s Global Shipping Programme or not? I’m hoping that going through the GSP might significantly speed up the process. 

6 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Exactly where I have been with my most recent purchase (as reported above), should be avoided by any means.