New Clover Anglo or used Morse Ceili (#020)?

I am a beginner player from Colorado, ready to move up from my (crummy) student 30 button to a better model. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Morse Ceilli for $1800, but it needs repairs: some of the reeds have been swapped out to create a "custom" button arrangement and one button only sounds on the push, not the pull. Without being able to see/examine, the box, Button Box guestimated the cost of repairing the 'bad' button/reed and restoring the original button layout at $300-$500. A new Clover costs about $2400 which makes the two possibilities about equal in price. Button Box wait repair time is 3 months. Since I am an inexperienced player, I don't know if it is "risky" to purchase an instrument whose maker is no longer in business or if this is even a crucial issue. Is an instrument of this vintage prone to increasing repair issues? There is no one local who can repair concertinas, so any future repairs means I would have to ship the instrument somewhere like Button Box. I have tried both instruments and slightly prefer the more mellow tone of the Morse as well as the fact that it doesn't have metal-capped buttons (which kinda leave indentation marks in my finger tips!), but I would be OK with the Anglo if the Morse potential repair problems seem significant. Thank you for your feedback!

I'm a huge fan of Morse ceilis, and the BB's Bob Snope could probably build one in his sleep.  The BB repair service is still in business, and I imagine it will be for some time to come.

But I'd ask one question: who did this "custom" button arrangement?  If it was the BB, fine; if not, I'd be wary, since amateurs can do a lot of damage.

The ceili and clover are roughly comparable instruments. I prefer the sound of the Morse, but that's a subjective question of personal taste.  The clovers I've tried have a pretty comparable feel.

Metal capped pointy buttons - trust me, you get used to them. It took me a few weeks to adjust to my Jeffries, which has button caps like little spears. Now it feels totally natural

I agree with Jim on the first point: technically the makers of the Morse are still in business; they just aren't making new instruments.

I have been hammering on my Morse Ceili since I bought it in 2001 and it has held up very well. I will confess can't separate my opinion of its thoughtful design from my memories of its thoughtful designer, Rich Morse, whom I considered a friend.

I built one of the early Clover kits for my wife and it is a fine instrument/design also.

Ken

If you liked the feeling and sound of the Morse, go for it. Have the Button Box fix her up just like new. I second that they know what they're doing and It's worth it. Those are good instruments; built to last.

From ergonomical point of view,

- Ceili is lighter than Clover. 

- Buttons of Clover (and concertinas of concertina connection in general) are somewhat "thinner" than Ceili and someone will experience their fingers falling inbetween buttons, which could be frustrating

- Bellows are very smooth on either instrument. 

Totani

Thanks to all who replied. I think the question of new Clover versus used Morse has been answered for me - ConcertinaConnection seems to be out of business. Their phone is disconnected; there is no order form on their website; emails go unanswered. So, Morse, here I come! thanks again.

I have not played the clover.

but the Morse are top notch.

I would also keep looking, there are hybrids out there in your budget that will come up. I’d look out for an ac Norman I had one and it was on par with anything else I ever tried.  Fast bright, loud and amazing workmanship.
But I traded it as I am focusing on English anD duet.

2 hours ago, bluesgal said:

Thanks to all who replied. I think the question of new Clover versus used Morse has been answered for me - ConcertinaConnection seems to be out of business. Their phone is disconnected; there is no order form on their website; emails go unanswered. So, Morse, here I come! thanks again.

Good luck with your decision/choice. However, I've not heard anything about Wim and Co. suspending operations from anyone/where else and would want to know this from sources near him before giving this credence beyond a rumor.

Ken

It is a pity that Wim Wakker of concertina connection did not respond to you. 

From ergonomical point of view,

- Morse is lighter in weight

- Clover has thinner buttons and some player may find his fingers falling in between buttons

- Bellows of Clover and Morse are both very good with different taste

So I think your decisión is decent. I would not mind going for a Clover though.

Totani

22 hours ago, bluesgal said:

Their phone is disconnected; there is no order form on their website; emails go unanswered.

I just received a package of parts from them last week.  Maybe they are on vacation?

Anyways, you won't regret a Morse.  A lot of different concertinas have passed through my hands, but the one I have hung on to since I first started playing 14 years ago is my G/D Morse.  It plays like butter.  I wouldn't worry too much about the layout modifications (if they were in fact done by someone other than the manufacturer- my Morse has a custom layout that they did at my request.) Because the reeds aren't slotted into a dovetail it's unlikely that any damage was done in the reed swap.