Jump to content

An old American Folksong with Concertina!


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Owen Anderson said:

Interestingly, the chorus that you're singing is totally different than the version I learned as a child in the US. Yet your audience appears to know and expect your version. I wonder if this is an Australian variant on it?

 

It's the same version I remember being taught in northwest England in the 1980s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Owen Anderson said:

Interestingly, the chorus that you're singing is totally different than the version I learned as a child in the US. Yet your audience appears to know and expect your version. I wonder if this is an Australian variant on it?

 

5 hours ago, alex_holden said:

It's the same version I remember being taught in northwest England in the 1980s.

 

Everywhere but in America, I guess. I never heard the chorus before, either (and I grew up on the song).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Isn't the folk process interesting! I grew up in Manchester, England, in the 70s and 80s, and this is pretty much word-for-word and note-for-note the version I know. Also a fair few more ribald adaptions, but this version sounds "canonical" to my ears (not that that really means much in this context.) Anyway, nicely done and thanks for posting!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, James Fitton said:

Isn't the folk process interesting! I grew up in Manchester, England, in the 70s and 80s, and this is pretty much word-for-word and note-for-note the version I know. Also a fair few more ribald adaptions, but this version sounds "canonical" to my ears (not that that really means much in this context.) Anyway, nicely done and thanks for posting!

 

This is essentially the version I learned from my parents in the 1960s in the New York City area (but without the sound effects). In our version, it was “silk pajamas” in the 5th verse and the 6th and 7th verses are unfamiliar to me.

 

https://youtu.be/fPxpF5MWu-A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...