An old American Folksong with Concertina!

2 hours ago, Owen Anderson said:

Interestingly, the chorus that you're singing is totally different than the version I learned as a child in the US. Yet your audience appears to know and expect your version. I wonder if this is an Australian variant on it?

It's the same version I remember being taught in northwest England in the 1980s.

8 hours ago, Owen Anderson said:

Interestingly, the chorus that you're singing is totally different than the version I learned as a child in the US. Yet your audience appears to know and expect your version. I wonder if this is an Australian variant on it?

5 hours ago, alex_holden said:

It's the same version I remember being taught in northwest England in the 1980s.

Everywhere but in America, I guess. I never heard the chorus before, either (and I grew up on the song).

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the folk process interesting! I grew up in Manchester, England, in the 70s and 80s, and this is pretty much word-for-word and note-for-note the version I know. Also a fair few more ribald adaptions, but this version sounds "canonical" to my ears (not that that really means much in this context.) Anyway, nicely done and thanks for posting!

3 hours ago, James Fitton said:

Isn't the folk process interesting! I grew up in Manchester, England, in the 70s and 80s, and this is pretty much word-for-word and note-for-note the version I know. Also a fair few more ribald adaptions, but this version sounds "canonical" to my ears (not that that really means much in this context.) Anyway, nicely done and thanks for posting!

This is essentially the version I learned from my parents in the 1960s in the New York City area (but without the sound effects). In our version, it was “silk pajamas” in the 5th verse and the 6th and 7th verses are unfamiliar to me.

https://youtu.be/fPxpF5MWu-A

I've heard a lot of variations on the verses. The version I learned as a kid always ended with "We will kill the old red rooster when she comes!", which gets omitted from children's TV renditions.  Across all the versions I've heard in the US, all repeat the verse in the refrain, rather than the aye-aye-yippee-aye-yay refrain.