Favorite Sweet Spots To Play

I was wondering if others have favorite spots that they frequent that enhance their sound and pleasure?

A section of the downtown Charlottesville, Va. pedestrian mall where the configuration of the old buildings produces a rich, powerful sound. As a solo musician for a Morris side, sometimes it's hard to be heard over the clamor of the street, but not in that acoustically amazing place.

I also played once in the old, art-deco main terminal of Washington National Airport, which is now used for special events. We did a sound check when the place was empty, and the sound was soaring. But when it filled up with people, I couldn't even hear myself play.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once did a gig in Wells cathedral cloister, now used as a restaraunt, as the entertainment spot for a Wells Civic Society dinner. The sound was very interesting as we were in the middle of a long thin stone room, about 15 feet by 90 feet.

Another interesting sound was at a folk club where, performing as a duo, my colleage sang "Willie of Winsbury" in the room, standing at the entrance of the skittle alley whilst I played about 10 feet behind him, actually in the alley. It gave a really ghostly feel to it.

Robin Madge

I've found places on cruise ships that I like to use. For example on the Holland America Statendam there's a little used semi-exterior stairwell at the stern that traverses about four decks. While enclosed, it's all exposed metal without carpet or other sound absorbing materials and the concertina sounds very rich and inviting. I've sat on the steps and played for an hour or more at a time without seeing anyone else.

I walked through the most recent house I purchased (after purchasing but before moving in) while playing my concertina to check the acoustics of various rooms before furnishings were put in. I found it quite interesting that in certain positions in the living room (for example) the instrument sounded much nicer than in others. One corner and close to one wall sounded much richer than most other spots in the room, though there were some good 'hot spots' closer to the center of the room too.

I have mused further on this subject and come up with a place I wish I had played a concertina in....Follen Church in Lexington, MA.

Designed by Charles Follen circa 1836 it is in the shape of an octagon! I sang there frequently in the late 80's and the acoustic properties were very interesting. From certain spots in the pews you could hear different voices and instruments jump out at you from the ensemble as if they were playing right at your side. Astounding experience from the alter or congration side.

A popular concert venue that occasionally has celtic presentations, I wonder what sort of madness would be cause by an AC or EC getting loose in there a solo? I'm sure that has happened and wonder if any of our adherents have done so.

Speaking of the tunnel in Golden Gate Park, about 30 years ago, groups of Sausilito freaks used to gather ther there for "group hums", Someone would start to hum a note and others would join in, finding harmonies until the tunnel was filled with sound. Then another note started and so on. Few real songs were sung, but the sound coming out of the ends of the tunnel was amazing.

For my part, the school in which I work has two rotundae, one at each end of the central hallway; one opens onto the second floor leading to classerooms. Playing in the exact center of the lower circle lets the sound rise, resonate, and spread out down the halls. Spectacular.

Different story when the halls are filled with ramped up 12-year-olds. Look in the dictionary for the definition of Cacaphony... :blink:

Speaking of the tunnel in Golden Gate Park, about 30 years ago, groups of Sausilito freaks used to gather ther there for "group hums",...

Hmm. (Of course I know it's a pun. :)) That makes me think I should try the tunnel between the two platforms at the Humlebæk train station. I noticed a while back that if I stand on the landing at one end, the slightest movement of my feet is reflected from the other end with strong amplification. At first I thought I was hearing someone else approaching -- rather noisily -- from the other end, but nobody appeared. Then I realized it coincided with me shifting my weight.

That was surprising enough. I wonder what the concertina will sound like.

Not as a player, but my morris dancing days coincided with my college theater major drink-too-much-at-cast-parties days.

One time my morris team had a gig at the newly renovated great hall at the Walters Art Gallery in Baltimore. Marble, two-story with balcony, lovely amplifying accoustics.

I am morbidly hung over + I am jumping up and down a lot + I and everyone around me are wearing hundreds of brass bells + great accoustics + early Sunday morning gig = Rhomylly never ever got drunk again.

In the Summer months, up to 1994, we used to go to Fort Amherst on Sunday afternoons. This was a Napoleonic fort in Chatham, Kent, U.K., built to protect the Chatham Naval Dockyard from attack by marauding French ships. It is now a local tourist attraction.

The fort consists of a network of tunnels built into the hillside, with gun doors at various points along the way, all directed to the river. One of the volunteer staff was a concertina player, and he used to practice in the tunnels. When I met him and introduced him to other players (not just concertinas), this developed into a weekly gathering where we would sing or play in the Upper Gun Room.

The acoustics were great, and the tourists on their guided tour could here us some distance before they reached us. Sadly Tony died early after an illness, and these meetings just drifted off without him. But I have fond memories of these gatherings.

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild

I have noticed that my concertina sounds very pleasing when I'm sitting on my sailboat or when I'm aboard any type of boat or ship. And the type of tune does not have to be sea shanties. There seems to be a synergism between my anglo and the marine environement.

This wonderful thread has inspired me to try out different places.

Me too. I tend to just find somewhere where no-one can here me. I'm going for a few days camping in France in a couple of weeks and am taking the Jackie with me - visions of playing in a field, very early in the morning with coffee brewing. I am relying on the site being very empty at this time of year!

One of my great memories from my trip to Ireland was playing my brand new concertina in our hotel room at Ballyseede castle in Tralee. When I inquired if it would alright to play in our room, the hotel manager assured us that as the internal walls were at least 2 feet thick, no one would here me! :P

We spent a glorious three weeks in Ireland, my husband driving the rental car, and me happy sitting in the front seat playing my concertina. :)

One of my great memories from my trip to Ireland was playing my brand new concertina in our hotel room at Ballyseede castle in Tralee.  When I inquired if it would alright to play in our room, the hotel manager assured us that as the internal walls were at least 2 feet thick, no one would here me! :P

We spent a glorious three weeks in Ireland, my husband driving the rental car, and me happy sitting in the front seat playing my concertina. :)

What a great instrument the 'tina is. I can't imagine anything nicer than driving through Ireland with someone playing a live soundtrack in the passenger seat. You couldn't do that with a guitar/clarinet/bodhran/harp/double bass could you!