Instruction Books for Concertina

gcoover

Got it, thanks. I think my original intention was just to direct folks to concertina.com and let them prowl through the site to find the book pdfs in hopes they would explore some of the site's other great features and articles along the way. But in this instance it's probably better to go directly to the books.

Gary

We’re almost there. Sorry to be a bug, You put the Maccann link on both the Maccann and Hayden tutors.

1 hour ago, gcoover said:

I think my original intention was just to direct folks to concertina.com and let them prowl through the site to find the book pdfs in hopes they would explore some of the site's other great features and articles along the way.

I realize that. My main purpose was to correct links that went nowhere, but I figured as long as I was there, I might as well point directly to the pdfs.

• 2 weeks later...

English Concertina tutor volume one by Pauline de Snoo has been updated some time ago. See www.concertina-academy.com. It comes with two CDs. With extra material to follow up on volume one. Pdfs, audio and video with more advanced exercises. Also free tuition for all systems on the website in order to give people the opportunity to see and hear and thus choose from the three different Concertina systems; English, Anglo or Duet. At the moment working on expanding a grading system for English Concertina in the UK.

• 3 months later...

I've recently scanned the "Simplicity Tutor for the English Concertina", originally published by Hawkes of London (which dates it prior to 1930, when Boosey and Hawkes merged). There is a scan already elsewhere on this site, but this appears to be a later edition, with an expanded selection of tunes at the end. It can be downloaded from:

Simplicity Tutor for the English Concertina

Thanks to Terry Evans for lending me the book to scan.

Apologies for truncating the title of the tune at the top of page 31; the missing title is "Come Back to Erin".

Edited by Cheshire Chris
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Almost all of the old original tutors are available in the British Library archives.

I understand that at one time, a copy of each book published was required to be sent to the British Library.  Many of these have already been scanned or can get scanned on request.  This also applied to published music scores.  There is a fee for this service but found them very good to get along with.

https://explore.bl.uk/

I’m a big fan of Richard Blagrove and found his 1864 tutor at the British Library along with a few other rare ones.

https://explore.bl.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?tabs=moreTab&ct=display&fn=search&doc=BLL01004221696&indx=17&recIds=BLL01004221696&recIdxs=6&elementId=6&renderMode=poppedOut&displayMode=full&frbrVersion=&frbg=&dscnt=0&scp.scps=scope%3A(BLCONTENT)&tb=t&mode=Basic&vid=BLVU1&vl(297891280UI0)=any&srt=rank&tab=local_tab&dum=true&vl(freeText0)=Richard Blagrove concertina&dstmp=1697438988004

Edited by 4to5to6

On 10/16/2023 at 8:02 AM, gcoover said:

Thanks for the update, Morgana. I've just now reached out to Frank to see if we can keep his books available through Rollston Press.

Gary

That would be great, please let me know if it becomes available again, I'll be your first customer :D

• 4 weeks later...

Good news! Frank Edgley's The Anglo Concertina: Handbook of Tunes and Methods for Irish Traditional Music, originally published in 2001, should be available in 3-4 weeks through Rollston Press, with QR code links replacing the original CD's with 48 lessons and tunes.

Many of you know of Frank as a masterful builder of concertinas, but he is also quite the player of Irish traditional music in what he calls "a modified Chris Droney" style. 

Really excited that this book will now be readily available worldwide, and never out of print!

Gary

Edited by gcoover
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Some years ago Julliette Daum printed most of my Victorian Concertina Book for The ICA to send out to it's members.

Some pages were missing which I later supplied..

Apart from some excellent old music composed for concertina, there are pages of scales suggested for practice. I must stress that unless you can read music and play to a reasonable level then what you find in the book may drive you to play another instrument, 

I have donated the original book to the ICA and it is now in their possession. 

It was handed to me at a Morris Meeting outside a pub from a person I had never met before and he asked me if I would like it. No charge.  I think it is only right that I pass this on also free of charge to the Concertina World . 

Al