AndrewCollins

Playing together across an internet connection

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2020 at 7:32 AM, alex_holden said:

What you could possibly do is record a track, send it to a collaborator, have them record themselves playing along with it (in headphones), then mix the two together afterwards.

Surely that’s what’s going on here (but with more than two):

The Sacred Harp Quarantine Chorus - pg. 146 Hallelujah

Edited by David Barnert
Fixed link

On 3/23/2020 at 3:40 AM, Jody Kruskal said:

I spent the past three hours on JamKazam tonight playing live music with a random bunch of folks from all over the world and had fun. It was sort of like a festival where new musicians would join unexpectedly and new influences would occur. Very cool!

Interesting, Jody. I hadn't bothered with JamKazam because the site looks moribund, quite frankly. The JamKazam FB page was last updated in August 2016, the last news item on their website is dated 6th August 2014 (!) and clicking on JamKazam Support just gives a 404 error. Since you've done OK I'll have another look, but if it takes a lot of techy input then it may still prove impractical. Anne (my wife, for people who don't know us, and a fine EC player) wants to find some way for her band Fiery Dragon Company to practice online and, of course, Zoom doesn't cut it. We shall see.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2020 at 11:03 AM, Paul_Hardy said:

I’ve also been trying to find a way of musicians playing together from home, and have written up a two-page essay on the subject, particularly concerning latency, Zoom, and avoiding concertinas being interpreted as background noise and suppressed.  –  you can read it at https://pghardy.net/greenshoots/virtual/virtual_music_sessions.html.

Thanks, Paul, for that comprehensive and very useful summary!

In particular, the disillusioning section on latency should make it very clear that (regardless of how much more bandwidth one can shell out of the internet) it will be impossible to accomplish good enough turnaround times for Online jamming purposes. Which for me is good news because (even though and probably because I'm a computer pro) it implies yet again that there are occasions in which real human interaction and togetherness can't be replaced by machinery. I'll be happy to be proven wrong though!

Let's hope, then, that the time after the crisis will leave enough room to make up for all the isolation forced upon us now.

For the time being, though, let's try to be creative concerning musical cooperation. I remember Alan posting a recording a few years ago onto which everyone was encouraged to piggyback his/her own addition. Unfortunately back then the resonance wasn't exactly overwhelming. So why not try to do something like this: I encourage everyone here on the forum to download a favorite track of another member's soundcloud or youtube presence, play along, record the mixture and repost the result to the forum? Something like a TOTM 2.0?

Edited by RAc

I think that's a brilliant idea RAc.  I'll try and record something appropriate this weekend and upload a link here.  I'm happy to fiddle about mixing tracks too, pretty sure I have the necessary software / motivation!  I'll then share the results on here.