Wanted EC in Bb.

Geoff Wooff

Looking for  an  English  in Bb  . In other words  all notes  a whole tone lower than  normal.

The reason  for  this;  although I am  quite happy to  transpose  and play in  most  keys, there are situations where  playing with one's  default  fingering  in a different key  is prefered. 

Here, in France,  I  get to play  the local  Bal Trad  music  mostly in C    but I  often feel  I'd be happier  if the tunes were in D, from a fingering view point.  When in Ireland  it  would be nice to  have a 'flat' concertina  for the  C  sessions.

Any  ideas or leads  most  aprieciated.?

1 hour ago, Geoff Wooff said:

Looking for  an  English  in Bb  . In other words  all notes  a whole tone lower than  normal.

Not sure you'll find one in Bb, but you might find a tenor-pitched one in F. I think they were produced for playing Eb parts from brass band scores (whilst the trebles played the Bb parts in C).

My bass English played in F - again I assume for playing Eb bass parts - but I couldn't get on with it so I had the B and Bb reeds swapped. Result? It now plays in C but with the notes one row higher than you would expect. I can cope better with that than playing a "transposing instrument". (Although I can happily transpose! Illogical, but that's just how my brain works.)

LJ

3 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

I have only ever seen one concertina in Bb - I missed out on it at auction about 8 years ago.

I  can  sort of manage  a simple  , semi  transposition  on the  Baritone Treble  by  dropping  down  two  rows  of  buttons  (  say  from D to  C  etc.)  and  correcting the  wrong  notes ( F's for f#'s  etc.)  but one ends up  an octave  lower  than  normal  and  this is not  very effective in a band or  session situation being in Baritone  pitch... ie... I  cannot  hear  myself.

Thanks for  the comments  Wolf,  LJ  and Steve.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I wonder, if swappinng reeds would do!? They should be similar size...

If I remember right, there was a Edeophone for sale with two swappable sets of reedpans - one in Bflat;-) I don't remember where...

And: I love F-tenors. I have several Aeolas converted. Even a baritone-treble, which now plays a fifth below a tenor-treble;-) Great range!

Hello Geoff, You could be the second in line for a Edeophone ex Salvation Army pltched inBb. I will be sending photos to the person at the front of the queue tomorrow,so i will keep you postedas to whether the box is sold.

Regards.

Mike