I am a retailer of the Stagi range of concertinas. In the past 6 months there have been big changes at Stagi, and the standard has improved beyond belief.

They now produce a good standard beginners to intermediate quality concertina, English, Anglo and duet.

The action is quicker, the tuning is exceptional and the finish is wonderful.

Not everyone can afford a high quality Antique concertina or a Norman or Morse, so the Stagi range is essential to encourage people to start to learn this wonderful instrument.

I now that I will be lampooned and criticised for my opinion, but putting barriers in front of people who would love to try the concertina but can neither afford a top concertina or don’t want to part with a large sum early on Should be encouraged and not put down by the concertina purists.

Steve Morrison

Red Cow Music

26678161-7E14-4BA4-A18C-62C549B402DC.jpeg

Welcome Steve.

Please, please, just one thread per topic. When you post, wait a minute for the site to come back with confirmation before hitting "submit" again. Thanks.

Ken

• Thanks 1

Good luck with these Steve ,I learnt to play the Anglo on a ten pound Hohner with large white buttons and moved to a better instrument when I was ready. An affordable concertina Anglo ,English and Duet systems at a reasonable price lends itself not only to beginners but to introducing the instrument to schools.

Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's good news, Steve. What do they cost?

I learned on a Bastari (the precursor to Stagi) way way back when. It was fine as a starter, but after two years of steady play the bellows gave out and imploded. Perhaps this new tweak has improved the bellows segment angles and depth of the folds?

"Big changes at Stagi" is, of course, great news - good starter instruments encourage new players.   What specific changes have been made to bring about this improvement, Steve? What has been done to make the action quicker? 

I have to say I've never been that impressed by any Stagi Anglos I've tried (the one in the photo above and the similar model with black wooden ends) - reeds slow to sound, more leaks than a government ministry and those awful bellows that look like they're made of corrugated cardboard that really should be consigned to the parts bin of history. I know Chinese quality control can be quite hit and miss so maybe they just need a decent setup when they first arrive on these shores?

18 hours ago, Steve Morrison said:

The action is quicker, the tuning is exceptional and the finish is wonderful.

I am curious about action improvement. The Button Box of Massachusetts also says (from some months ago) about Stagi W15-LN as "30-button model with new improved action." I am not sure the improvement is the same but would like to see the improved action photos. ?

Edited by Takayuki YAGI
typo

I agree. As has been demonstrated, the quality control of Stagis seems to be weak. In addition, they do not show theirself as very fomal. IMO if a dealer assumes these rols seriously in Europe, all Stagi, the dealer and the future buyers will win....

I have a Stagi Hayden since two years and half. I dont know if the action has any of the improvements that are mentioned, although the mechanics looks like very similar to that shown in pictures exhibited in C.net a few years ago. Yes, the bellows are a bit hard to act, and the keys are hard and make sticky noises, but even so the sound is very sweet, the tuning is perfect and the action response is as quick as the speed your fingers can reach (excepting the very bass keys ). Even respond well to triplets and rolls.

... .so I am happy as this instrument has opened to me the door of the concertina world. However, I hope not being in the door of imploding bellows period as Jody says....:blink:

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 1:50 AM, JimLucas said:

Which duet system?  I would guess Wiki/Hayden, yes?

On 9/25/2019 at 7:00 AM, Steve Morrison said:

Hayden

I hope it’s more like the Bastari Haydens of the early 1980s than the Stagi Haydens of twenty years later.