Anglo style bellows for duet

I've read that duets require the EC type of bellows as opposed to Anglos,  however My Jeffries (made by Jeffries) appears to have the Anglo style while my Wheatstone has the EC.  I can certainly feel the difference when I play and because I like to change direction often( (fiddle player) I prefer the Jeff.  I know there aren't many of them out there but did Jeffries usually fit his duets with Anglo bellows?  Are some other systems equipped this way as well?

One might  then  asked the question  'did Wheatstones  fit  an EC   type  bellows to  their  Anglos' ?  From  my observation  the  difference between  Wheatstone's  Duet bellows  and their Anglo bellows is  not  apparent.  I recall  a Jeffries  EC  that  had  a    fairly typical  Jeffries  bellows ... perhaps a little lighter  in construction..... So, perhaps each  house had their  own style (weight)  of construction  for bellows ?

Having read this, I went and checked my bellows and in my stable, (and remembering the Herrington, too) the anglos did seem a bit more flexible, although the 57b Crabb is just as much so, and its bellows are not original, but its reeds are set up like an anglo.  It couldn't have to do with that difference, could it? 

SS 

I just got in and have to dash back out but I'm referencing a thread either here  or another website.  I'll also put up pic's when I get back in.

Wakker concertina's ,com/bellows   I believe Wakkers explanation fits my situation.

Below:  both my instruments in repose ( Jeff on right).  The jeff will squeeze tight but will slowly push back.

IMG_20190310_185854.jpg

Edited by wunks
more info

Here's Wim Wakker's page on this: http://www.concertinaconnection.com/replacement bellows.htm .  The relevent text from that page is below: 

English/Duet versus Anglo bellows
          Not all bellows are the same. There is a difference between bellows 
          made for an English or Duet concertina and for an Anglo.

Bellows  made for English/duet concertinas have thinner folds and 
          are very supple. They should not 'pull back' when you play on them.

The weight of the bellows in relation to the ends is very important. 
          For English and Duet concertinas the bellows should be as light as 
          possible. Just like the bow on a violin, it should almost be weightless 
          in order not to interfere with the musical movement.

Anlgo bellows folds are thicker. They allow less side movement of the bellows.  
          The most important asset of anlgo bellows is stability. When playing an anglo, 
          the bellows movement is very short and irregular. Because of the rapid changes 
          it is important that the folds themselves do not move. When the folds 'bounce' 
          when you change bellows direction, you lose energy which results in slower 
          bellows changes and less control over volume.
          This does not mean that they should be stiff.  We use an acid-free type of card 
          for our anglo bellows, with a higher weight. The card does not bend itself and 
          provides a solid base for the typical anlgo movement. 
          The heavier bellows feel more stable and give the player maximum control over
          movement.

I wonder if other makers or restorers would agree.  There aren't many makers who make both Anglo and English concertinas.  

Edited by Daniel Hersh

8 hours ago, Daniel Hersh said:

Here's Wim Wakker's page on this: http://www.concertinaconnection.com/replacement bellows.htm .  The relevent text from that page is below: 

English/Duet versus Anglo bellows
          Not all bellows are the same. There is a difference between bellows 
          made for an English or Duet concertina and for an Anglo.

Bellows  made for English/duet concertinas have thinner folds and 
          are very supple. They should not 'pull back' when you play on them.

The weight of the bellows in relation to the ends is very important. 
          For English and Duet concertinas the bellows should be as light as 
          possible. Just like the bow on a violin, it should almost be weightless 
          in order not to interfere with the musical movement.

Anlgo bellows folds are thicker. They allow less side movement of the bellows.  
          The most important asset of anlgo bellows is stability. When playing an anglo, 
          the bellows movement is very short and irregular. Because of the rapid changes 
          it is important that the folds themselves do not move. When the folds 'bounce' 
          when you change bellows direction, you lose energy which results in slower 
          bellows changes and less control over volume.
          This does not mean that they should be stiff.  We use an acid-free type of card 
          for our anglo bellows, with a higher weight. The card does not bend itself and 
          provides a solid base for the typical anlgo movement. 
          The heavier bellows feel more stable and give the player maximum control over
          movement.

I wonder if other makers or restorers would agree.  There aren't many makers who make both Anglo English concertinas.  

This is the reference I referred to.  It also includes photos of two representative instruments to compare with mine.  In addition, my playing experience conforms to the text.

I have a  replacement Wakker  bellows on one of my EC s  , it is  supple  and  a  very expressive component  of the instrument.  Other  bellows makers  do, I think, take into consideration  what  instrument  type  is the intended  oblect of their  creations,  but one  seller of  bellows kits  appears to offer  just the one 'weight'  and I fitted  one of his to an EC  a couple of years ago.  It was  heavier  than  the  original EC  bellows from  classic  Wheatstone  and  Lachenal  instruments  but  supple enough to function  for either, at a bargain price.

The bellows on my Morse Beaumont seem to be a compromise between Anglo bellows and EC bellows - definitely heavier and thicker at the fold than the bellows on either of my ECs but they do not bounce when played or push back when closed.

Edited by Don Taylor