Do Concertinas Have A Gender?

Richard, when starting the Wheatstone/Jeffries anglo thread, said that he was "considering acquiring a Jefferies as a Sister to his Wheatstone".

Up to now, I've always thought my Concertina was a "boy". (for no specific reason it has to be said)

So, if they were to have a gender, what would it be? I know that some languages give genders to objects (eg German), so do they have a gender for the Concertina?

Does any one else consider their pride and joy to be a boy?

Derek

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I believe they do have gender association.

My Wheatsone Aeola 64 note was "The Stone". Without a doubt a male and a macho male at that whose motto was "Lead, follow, or get the h*** outta my way!"

My current squeeze is a Morse Albion named "Tina". She stood up and said "I am woman, hear me roar" the very first time my fingers flew across her black little buttons. She is a saucy lass and I cannot be without her ;) !

Mine certainly do, though not to the extent that they have names :). It's more a case of default pronoun when referring to them ("he's a bit too loud for this song", "she's got a grumbly valve" etc.) than anything else. My anglos and my Jeffries Duet are male, and my Maccann duet is female. I have absolutely no idea why - nor do I know why my Land Rover is (very definitely) female.

...edited to note the passing of my 200th post. At this rate I'll never reach "boxer" status... :lol:

Edited by stuart estell

I have heard a number of players with bass concertinas referring to them as 'Grandfather'.

My miniature concertina is generally referred to as my little tina, and therefore must be female B). Therefore if pressed for an answer, I would say that my Lachenal edeophone and my Wheatstone Hayden duet are little Tina's mum and Dad.

- John

Yes, I believe they do have gender association.

Not I. I don't think of my instruments as having either gender or person-ality.

I've only ever given one of my instruments a name, but that was sort of a joke, and I've long since stopped thinking of it by that name or any other. That one was my 80+1 button Maccann, which I named "Baby Huey", after a cartoon character who is an infant duck of monster size. But infants don't normally evoke gender associations... in fact, we often color-code them with pink or blue decorations to indicate their otherwise-imperceptible gender. So even with a name, Baby Huey was genderless, but now it's just my big Maccann, or sometimes "my monster Maccann".

So my concertinas are concertinas, that's all. But that's quite enough, for concertinas are wonderful enough in their own right. They don't need to be people.

Stuart, I've been dying to ask...why did you know your Rover was a female?

Sounds like the beginning of a fun song to me: "for I knew she was a rover," :P

As I'm sure Jim would rightly dissaprove, I've been assigning gender to my cars for past 30 or so years. In all that time I've only owned one who was difinetly female (had nothing to do with temprement on starting or any such cliche jokes, she was just most definetly a female 74' Mercedes 300TD station wagon named Leonora).

Edited by Mark Evans

...I'm sure Jim would rightly dissaprove...

Why would I do that? Just because I don't share one of your tastes, doesn't mean I have to disapprove of it.

Jack Sprat and his wife got along just fine.

For all I care, you could concertinamorphise the people you meet, e.g.:

... "He thinks he's a real Excelsior, doesn't he?"

... "Isn't she a classy New Model!"

... "He has the presence of an Æola."

... "He's small, but strong and nimble, like a Dipper County Clare."

... "She's a Paragon, she is."

... Etc. :)

Good idea Jim.

Let's see, were I to apply that to myself, I'd have to go with the Scholer from my youth (which is setting on the shelf above me) blown bellows, two buttons forever stuck and a windy moan like like a mornful old Jersey cow.

Yep, that's me most days. :blink:

Curses, I'll be doing this all day now. :( What a Bastari that guy is! My oh my, she's a cute little Tedrow! Salva me!

Edited by Mark Evans

Hello Folks

I am a bit surprised and even delighted to have inspired this energetic sharing of ideas. But before it goes too far and people get the wrong idea I need to share something that might bring to a halt all this introspection, speculation and assumption!

When I referred to the gender of a Jeffries as a female, (1) I was only looking at a photograph (2) It was very late at nght, and (3) I had enjoyed quite a lot of drink, and (4) yes...the lights were very dim.

I don't mean to make excuses, but really, in the dark it all kind of feels the same.

Richard

If anyone would like to volunteer their (female) Jeffries in a breeding experiment, I would be delighted to introduce her to my Jeffries, Kilroy by name. I would be happy to share the offspring with you, though be warned: since the nuptials may take some time and results are not guaranteed, she may have to stay with me for a while...

Chris