Willie Clancy Summer School 2012 : photos

When I started checking out the pictures, I began to wonder if there were any of concertina players? But with a touch of patience, I found them. And I must say that in the almost 20 years that I've known Noel Hill, I have never seen him so dressed up and brushed down! A lovely group of photos. Thanks Peter.

Ross Schlabach

What an amazing and professional photographic tribute to Irish musicians! These really need to be published, or displayed somewhere prominently. You've really captured a lot of soul with these photos. Love the black & white treatment, feels very "archival"!

Gary

Noel Hill, I have never seen him so dressed up and brushed down! A lovely group of photos. Thanks Peter.

After that testament, I also had to go for a look--and have to agree that Noel Hill cleaned up really good. I was enthralled with the photos of the fiddlers (didn't I do good catching myself and not saying violins??)-- those photos were all works of art. Does the fiddle just bring out the best in folks?? And finally, I must note that none of the pipes players are as beautiful as Kathryn Tickell...but I bet they can still play a mean pipe??? :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
i may have to print out the marty o'keeffe on nice photo paper..

For some reason concertinaplayers seem to manage to keep at it longer than most other instrumentalists. Obivously the concertina is an instrument less physical than for example the flute and the push button and you have a decent tone makes it easier than playing the fiddle when infirmity sets in. There have been a few examples, Mollie McCarthy, pictured in the attached article from the Clare Champion at 104 (she hadn't been outside the house since she was 80) and Bridget Dineen who went on playing I believe until she died at a hundred and six. And alongside Marty, that's only a few examples from Clare.

For some reason concertina players seem to manage to keep at it longer than most other instrumentalists. Obviously the concertina is an instrument less physical than for example the flute and the push button and you have a decent tone makes it easier than playing the fiddle when infirmity sets in. There have been a few examples, Mollie McCarthy, pictured in the attached article from the Clare Champion at 104 (she hadn't been outside the house since she was 80) and Bridget Dineen who went on playing I believe until she died at a hundred and six. And alongside Marty, that's only a few examples from Clare.

That's very ineresting, Peter.

Conductors are also known for living and working well into their seniority. I wonder if it has to do with the constant motion and exercise of the arms?

[For some reason concertina players seem to manage to keep at it longer than most other instrumentalists]...i have noticed this also and am very struck by it. perhaps it is a combination of the light/compact size; and the fixed pitch, so you don't lose intonation as much; and perhaps the rubik's cube aspect continues to fascinate and to tone the neural transmitters....

maybe the compact size is not dispositive, perhaps it's a concertina thing generally...here is gabriel "chula" clausi at 97...

i may have to print out the marty o'keeffe on nice photo paper..

For some reason concertinaplayers seem to manage to keep at it longer than most other instrumentalists. Obivously the concertina is an instrument less physical than for example the flute and the push button and you have a decent tone makes it easier than playing the fiddle when infirmity sets in. There have been a few examples, Mollie McCarthy, pictured in the attached article from the Clare Champion at 104 (she hadn't been outside the house since she was 80) and Bridget Dineen who went on playing I believe until she died at a hundred and six. And alongside Marty, that's only a few examples from Clare.

Thanks for the photo of Mollie MacCarthy, Peter. And the other photos were equally wonderful. Great stuff.

Someday I'll make it again (sigh)........haven't been since 1986!

Dan