CD naming Contest

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't practical, just a vagrant thought I had. Percy Honri always used to describe himself as a Concert-in-a Turn. As it's the seaside, how about A Concertina Tern?

Back to the plot:

- Oh I do like to squeeze beside the seaside

- Hold me gently, squeeze me tight

- What do you do with a drunken sailor?

Chris

Based on the illustration and with due regard to the sensitivities of some (apologies) and no regard to the CD content, in the best of British seaside postcard tradition:-

'You can touch but please don't squeeze it'

or

'Please don't sit on my winkle'

Geoff

I am about to release my latest CD, but I don’t have a good title for it. Can you help?

The concertina at the seaside suggests to me Concert in a Cabana.

Alas, it would seem strange when there's no cabana in the picture.

The lady appears to be about to stroke the concertina - possibly wary of it or thinking it has magical properties.

So how about:

Magic

Lantern Concertina :D

John Wild

Edited by John Wild

Thank you all for your delicious ideas.

There are two titles amongst this hilarious crop that I am seriously considering. Both of these have nothing to do with the seaside and that's what I'm looking for. Despite it's major defect, I really do want to use the card graphic because it is so old fashioned and camp, like the songs. It places the songs well in time if not in place. It's true, as Howard Jones points out, the songs do not have a single nautical themed one in the bunch. Rather it's the story telling element and the pithyness of the characters that the card shares with the songs. That bald guy with the glasses and concertina is singing to a rapt audience of one goddess in a shell, now that's a story. Also, he looks quite a bit like me!

I'm off to Pinewoods Camp next week with 150 other like-minded dancers, singers and players of musical instruments, a creative and fun loving group all. I think I'll put up a poster on the camp house wall with the graphic and solicit more requests for a CD title, in part because your ideas have been such fun to read and fun is the name of the game at camp.

The recording part of this CD is pretty much finished and whatever title it finally gets, it will be released in early October, just in time for my UK tour, mostly in the south. See you there?

Edited by Jody Kruskal

There are two titles amongst this hilarious crop that I am seriously considering. Both of these have nothing to do with the seaside and that's what I'm looking for.

Ambiguities of language. Which are you looking for? About the seaside? Or not about the seaside?

For a title with a hidden reference to the seaside, there's the title of a Marie Lloyd music hall song: A Little of What You Fancy Does You Good, or just A Little of What You Fancy. As I recall, one verse speaks of separate holidays (vacations), one in the mountains and one at the beach.

Admittedly, the title has been used by others, including a London restaurant and something by Jethro Tull (I'm not familiar with that one, and I didn't look further, but there were a lot of Google hits), but that isn't necessarily a show stopper, since the phrase has become so widely used that nobody can "own" it, and searches for those other references could serendipitously put folks onto your CD (if you use that title). Or maybe not, if yours doesn't show up until the umpteenth page. Oh, the uncertainties of life! B)

There are two titles amongst this hilarious crop that I am seriously considering. Both of these have nothing to do with the seaside and that's what I'm looking for.

Ambiguities of language. Which are you looking for? About the seaside? Or not about the seaside?

For a title with a hidden reference to the seaside, there's the title of a Marie Lloyd music hall song: A Little of What You Fancy Does You Good, or just A Little of What You Fancy. As I recall, one verse speaks of separate holidays (vacations), one in the mountains and one at the beach.

Admittedly, the title has been used by others, including a London restaurant and something by Jethro Tull (I'm not familiar with that one, and I didn't look further, but there were a lot of Google hits), but that isn't necessarily a show stopper, since the phrase has become so widely used that nobody can "own" it, and searches for those other references could serendipitously put folks onto your CD (if you use that title). Or maybe not, if yours doesn't show up until the umpteenth page. Oh, the uncertainties of life! B)

Hi Jim,

Good point. Not about the seaside is your answer, as the graphic seaside reference is not even close to central for the songs on this album.

Your point is well taken. Just as the "Tempting Prudence" title, though very good by itself, would be buried in a google search with references to Melissa Schroeder's bodice ripping novel by the same name. This aspect of my title search is not about what is legal but rather what is practical. If "Hey Jude" were the best title for my album, I could use it legally but would I want to? No. I'm just trying to avoid confusion with another well known commodity here.

I really am sorry about the "Tempting Prudence" title. It is right in so many ways. It's sexually suggestive, always a plus. It refers to the picture nicely. It also suggests that I am perhaps not prudent in including some potentially objectionable songs like Princess Pa-Pu-Le and Unrest. All 'round a big disappointment that it has been taken in a big way by another work. I could still use it of course but as mentioned before, that would cause potential confusion on the web.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

All 'round a big disappointment that it has been taken in a big way by another work. I could still use it of course but as mentioned before, that would cause potential confusion on the web.

You could always adopt the Apple approach - call it "Tempting Prudence" and then sue Melissa Schroeder for trying to pass her book off as your CD.

Chris