Help With A Name

Hi,

Not particularly on topic, but I could do with help in finding a name for a session we're starting. From September two Mondays a month Anne and me and a couple of others will be running an English music session at a pub called The Inn At Freshford. It's at - where else? - Freshford, and the pub has a number of other musical events: jazz on Thursdays, Irish session on Sundays and folk song on one of the other Mondays.

I'd really like a whizzy sort of name for the publicity when we produce it. I thought of The Titfield Thunderbolts (Freshford was used for the exterior shots in that film - not many people know that), but it makes it sound more like a group. The folk singaround has already snaffled The Music Makers.

The only ground rules I have at present for the session are:- music from anywhere on the map that isn't green, played at dancing speed.

TIA

Chris

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only ground rules I have at present for the session are:- music from anywhere on the map that isn't green,...

So both red and blue states are OK? Good! :)

...played at dancing speed.

I seem to recall Alistair Anderson saying that Northumbrian dances start off "at breakneck speed" and accelerate from there. :o

Well, I'll scratch my head and see what I can come up with. B)

Well, I would start from the pub name and be "The Inn Crowd".

Then you could work on that theme and be "Inn Tune" or "Inn Tempo".

Did anything come of the idea floated some time ago for participants to make recordings of the sessions they go to?

I've started recording some of the tunes from the Thursday Gregson session in Lancaster to try and make sense of them, particularly some of the Scandinavian ones!

Robin

sorry in advance but...

Fresh English Sesh

Fresh English Fayre

Sweet English

Albion on Avon

English Water Music ;)

Fresh Spring Turns :lol:

English Refresh

etc. etc.

or simply

The English Session at Freshford

all the best

Peter

No ideas for a name Chris, but where is Freshford, and for that matter, where is Bradford on Avon?

Bradford on Avon is about 9 miles south-east of Bath on the Bristol Avon and about 12 miles north of Heytesbury, which of course in the concertina world looms larger than London. Freshford is about 4 miles west od Bradford on Avon. May I recommend www.multimap.com?

Chris

Did anything come of the idea floated some time ago for participants to make recordings of the sessions they go to?

I tried recording a session at Chippenham FF recently, only to find I had placed the mike close to a thrash metal mandolin player. Totally unusable. :(

Chris

I'd really like a whizzy sort of name for the publicity when we produce it.

Will they serve food at the session? If so, you might advertise it as "Sound Bites". :)

The trouble with "a whizzy sort of name" is that the whizziest are likely not to give any clue as to what's actually happening. E.g., you said that "The Music Makers" has already been snagged by the song session, but that wouldn't tell me that it's songs, not tunes, or even that it's a session, not a group. Do the jazz and Irish sessions have catchy names? Maybe you should have a simple name, like "That Other Session", but a whizzy slogan, like "foot-tapping tunes".

Other not-quite-usable names are "Freshford Fridays" (wrong night) and "Fortnights at Freshford" (which isn't right in months with 5 Mondays). "Music Mondays (at Freshford)" is both descriptive and alliterative, but doesn't distinguish it from the other Mondays.

Since it's dance music, why not "Step Lightly Session (at Freshford)". Of course, that would be even more appropriate if there were room for dancing. Or how about "Sound Off (at Freshford)"?

Other thoughts (you decide which are the serious ones):

... Strings & Things

... Buttons & Bows

... Freshford Assembly

... Freshford Wives [probably not applicable]

... Sound Vice

... Ear Candy

... The Tunefull

... The Gathering

... The Other Monday Night Session

... Down the Plughole [relative to Bath]

... A Fine Freshford Session