Bass concertina

Cornerstone

I play a Marcus Treble English, which I very much enjoy. However, I'd love to be able to join sessions with a nice, fat bass concertina sound.

Has anyone any ideas about getting hold of one without breaking the bank? Does anyone make them nowadays, or am I looking for vintage models?

I play a Marcus Treble English, which I very much enjoy. However, I'd love to be able to join sessions with a nice, fat bass concertina sound.

Has anyone any ideas about getting hold of one without breaking the bank? Does anyone make them nowadays, or am I looking for vintage models?

Colin Dipper made a series of 5 bass ECs about 4 years ago. WCCP had two from new and sold one of them recently. I can't imagine any current maker making any soon.

There was a very nice double action bass, Lachenal I think, for sale at Kilve in March. Colin Dipper would be able to tell you what happened to it if you ring him.

If I can be forgiven for mentioning such a thing here, I did a conversion for a friend recently, installing second hand bass reeds in the treble end of a little two-and-a-bit octave piano accordion. New reed blocks were needed obviously and the original bass end reed blocks had to be removed because the "new" bass "treble" reeds were so big. It works quite nicely, prob loud enough for a session but not really for morris band playing which had been part of the aim.

This may be the droid you're looking for: Wakker Project: Bass Concertinas

ggG

Greetings,

I have a Lachenal Edeophone double action bass that is strong and fast--for a bass. i rarely use it, so I would like to sell it, but it is not inexpensive.

Len

I have a Lachenal Edeophone double action bass that is strong and fast--for a bass. i rarely use it, so I would like to sell it, but it is not inexpensive.

What's the low note on that? Is it a C, or a G?

And how many buttons?

Greetings,

Len

Len, I'd like to ask you about it. What is it's compass? Does it have C-2 and possible lower? I'll PM you.

What's the low note on that? Is it a C, or a G?

And how many buttons?

Hi Jim,

It is one octave below tenor, down to C. It has 35 glass buttons--2 and 1/2 octaves. Raised large ebony ends. 8-fold original bellows. Serial #52046.

Len

An obvious suggestion, but just in case you haven't considered it: check with Barleycorn Concertinas for vintage ones.

It is one octave below tenor, down to C. It has 35 glass buttons--2 and 1/2 octaves. Raised large ebony ends. 8-fold original bellows. Serial #52046.

Sounds very nice, similar to one I saw more than 30 years ago, though not exactly the same. That one, as I recall, was a 48-button and was two full octaves below a treble. A wonderful beast! Alas, it wasn't for sale.

One more question, I guess. How big is it? I.e., what is the distance across the ends (between "the flats", not the corners, is the usual way to measure), and how many bellows folds?

And one detail: In the parlance I know (shared, I believe, with Chris Algar and at least some entries in the Wheatstone ledgers), what you have described is a "bass-baritone". I.e., for the same fingering, notes sound an octave lower than a treble or tenor-treble, just as a standard baritone. A "bass" (without the "baritone" qualifier) would sound two octaves lower.

I have two such basses. One is a 56-button (4 octave) Æola, with the same low note as your Edeophone. The other is a 35-button stretched-hex Lachenal, with a lowest note of the G below your low C (two octaves below the treble's low G) and a top note of middle C.

That and a serious lack of cash are the reasons I'm not making an offer for this one.

I wish it a good home.

• 1 month later...

And one detail: In the parlance I know (shared, I believe, with Chris Algar and at least some entries in the Wheatstone ledgers), what you have described is a "bass-baritone". I.e., for the same fingering, notes sound an octave lower than a treble or tenor-treble, just as a standard baritone. A "bass" (without the "baritone" qualifier) would sound two octaves lower.

So what's the difference between a "bass-baritone" that for the same fingering sounds "just as a standard baritone", and a standard baritone?!? I own a baritone and have been looking out for a bass since I played one at a local festival. But the bass I played certainly didn't produce the notes of a standard baritone -- it was an octave lower. Any help?

Ron

So what's the difference between a "bass-baritone" that for the same fingering sounds "just as a standard baritone", and a standard baritone?!? I own a baritone and have been looking out for a bass since I played one at a local festival. But the bass I played certainly didn't produce the notes of a standard baritone -- it was an octave lower. Any help?

Difference between a baritone and a bass-baritone is that the bass-baritone continues down to a bottom note a fifth lower than the baritone (and likely also doesn't go as high as the baritone).

By your description, the bass you played was what is simply termed "bass", without any qualifiers.

Difference between a baritone and a bass-baritone is that the bass-baritone continues down to a bottom note a fifth lower than the baritone (and likely also doesn't go as high as the baritone).

By your description, the bass you played was what is simply termed "bass", without any qualifiers.

Ah, of course (whacking forehead). Terminology working just like "tenor-treble". Thanks for the info, and why didn't I figure this out myself? Guess that's the porpoise of the forums, eh :) .