Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend 2009

Details of the guests attending and a booking from can be found on the Musical Traditions website.As usual many of the leading players of all systems of concertina will be in attendance together with concertina makers and repairers.I have brought forward the date of this years weekend so I hope it does not clash with too many other events.As accommodation is in short supply in the Bradfield area and it gets booked up well in advance of the weekend please email for an accommodation list.As usual we will start the weekend on Thursday 25th June with our session hosted by The Royal Concertina Players.For further details contact me:-

Mark Davies

Email:edeophone@aol.com

• 1 month later...

As the Eigse Mrs Crotty Festival will not be taking place why not come to the Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend which is held in a beautiful part of England with some great concertina playing guests attending who include amongst other:-

Shay Fogarty(Dublin)Anglo

Gavin Atkin Jeffries Duet

Mike Hebbert Jeffries Duet

Roger Digby Anglo

Alan Day Anglo

Dave Prebble Anglo

Geoff Crabb Crane Duet

Jon Boden Maccann Duet tbc

Roy Clinging English

Steve Harrison Anglo

Rees Wesson Anglo/Melodeon

and many more

Roger Digby will be presenting his Anglo Hour on both the Saturday & Sunday and Geoff Crabbs Manufacturers & Repairers Seminar will take place on those days also.There will also be other talks by some of the United Kingdoms leading authorities on traditional music

Tickets cost £20 per person for all events including the Saturday night dance.Caravans,mobile homes and tents can stay for the weekend at no additional cost.

We will start the event on Thursday 25th June with the Royal Concertina Players meeting at The Royal Hotel,Dungworth.

Email me for further details and a booking form

Mark Davies

Home Email:edeophone@aol.com

• 3 weeks later...

A change to the published programme, as the BBC used to say!

The 'Anglo Hour' has become the 'Concertina Council'(!!) because in addition to the trusty triumvirate of Dave Prebble, Chas Marshall, and Alan Day we will also be joined by Michael Hebbert (Jeffries Duet) and Roy Clinging (English).

As Mark has said, there is always a strong concertina presence at this weekend. May I add that it's also a very enjoyable, relaxed weekend in a beautiful part of the country. I can sincerely recommend it if you enjoy your music in a friendly environment with no hierarchies!

Best wishes

Roger

The 'Anglo Hour' has become the 'Concertina Council'(!!) because in addition to the trusty triumvirate of Dave Prebble, Chas Marshall, and Alan Day we will also be joined by Michael Hebbert (Jeffries Duet) and Roy Clinging (English).

As Mark has said, there is always a strong concertina presence at this weekend. May I add that it's also a very enjoyable, relaxed weekend in a beautiful part of the country. I can sincerely recommend it if you enjoy your music in a friendly environment with no hierarchies!

Best wishes

Roger

I second that, a good friendly weekend. A little bit windy on occasions, but well worth the effort.

It would be nice to hear your interesting discussion on Concertina History Stephen try and get there if you can.

Lovely Sessions and lovely singing.

Al

Would have loved to return this year Mark, especially as I'm now getting to grips with playing a Maccann duet (still learning) as well as singing - but it clashes with the Traditions Festival in Preston !! :( Maybe next year ?

Saturday evening ceilidh now confirmed - Northumbrian music from Bracken Rigg Band plus friends with local caller Ron Darnbrough.

See you there.

Be octagonal - or be square (bandoneon?)

Jon Boden(of Spiers & Boden & Bellowhead)

I spoke to Jon last night who confirmed he would be in attendance and willing to perform throughout the weekend.For those who do not know Jon is a fine singer,fiddler and Maccann concertina player who has been a constant winner in many categories of the BBC Folk Awards over the last few years.Jon's partner Fay Hield(ex Witches of Elswick)will also be performing at the weekend.Anybody looking for accommodation for the weekend should book as soon as possible as there are very few spaces left.For further details contact me

Mark davies

Email:edeophone@aol.com

Best wishes

Roger

From the information I have received from Roger "The Anglo Hour" at Bradfield is not to be missed.

Roger will fill in the details when all the information is collated.

Al

Concertinas are thick on the ground at the Bradfield weekend but the sessions are well mixed.

We live in Sheffield city which is only 10 minutes away from the lovely Loxley Valley where it takes place, reputed seat of Robin Hood of Loxley! After all Sherwood Forest stretched many miles into Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Rivelin and Loxley vallies had ' the biggest oak trees in Christendom', according to John Evelyn the diarist.

It was always brigand territory, the Celtic Brigantes ruled locally and harried the Romans from a hill fort at Wincobank. It was later border territory between Northumbria and Mercia (Vikings v Saxons). England was unified only a few miles away at Dore in the 900's by Ecgbert ( The Inebriate or Incontinent or was it Aelfroth The Unsteady, or Beerwulf The Pintslayer) Anyway here we all are, half bre(a)d like sausages as my old Dad used to say.

Be there or be polygonal.

Mike The Rambler

• 4 weeks later...

Earlier in this topic, Alan Day (who else!?) committed me to providing some details of the 'Concertina Council' when they became available. So here goes.......

After a brief look at the state of the Duet, based on Alan's summary of progress on Duet International and capitalising on the presence of Mike Hebbert, we'll discuss various ways of building a tune. For the Anglo, Chas Marshall will talk about left hand vamping, Alan will discuss bass lines and Dave Prebble will consider the potential of cross-rowing. Roy Clinging will take the theme and apply it to song accompaniment on the English system and Mike Hebbert will base his thoughts around his playing of Diarmuid’s March.

Concertina's always have a good representation at this weekend, but I also enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and the community feeling.

If this weren't enough, the setting is magnificent and I shall endeavour to attach a couple of pics that I took there a few years ago. Don't be surprised if I don't achieve this!

Best wishes,

Roger

I shan't be able to attend this year, much to my disappointment as it's one of my favourite events. Plenty of good song and tune sessions, some interesting talks, and above all good company. I'm now looking forward to 2010!