Bless Me Father, For I Have Sinned. . .

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My own made-up term for one of those tiny ones with notes that only bats can hear

Jim, this is just a perfect description of those tiny squeakers. I hope you don't mind if it becomes regular terminology in the mid-coast Maine area, because I'm sure to be using it.

before-coffee horrible spelling corrected

Edited by Lisa Wirth

There was a group call the Harmonicats. There were more than three as I remember. They were very good and played lots of harmonicas. Some were huge. Some were ganged in groups, sort of like a gatling gun where you could rotate from one to another. The plethora of instruments wasn't just to get to different keys. Some used multiple reeds on a single hole and were wet tuned. They were very good. They acted like clowns, but they played very well.

In the early part of the last century (still getting used to that!) harmonica groups were very popular and there were quite a few of them, the Harmonicats, led by Cappy Barra, being the best known. The US Marines, no less, had a long running Harmonica band, hence the famous Marine Band harmonica from Hohner.

The book. Harps, Hamonicas and Heavy breathers gives a great, comprehensive history of "The Peoples' Instrument" and is well worth the read.

...the Harmonicats, led by Cappy Barra...

A quick web search confirms my memory that the Harmonicats were led by Jerry Murad. Cappy Barra's group appears to have been generally earlier than the Harmonicats.

(Cappy Barra's Harmonica group is variously mentioned as CBH Band, CBH Ensemble, CBH Gentlemen, and Cappy Barra's Swing Ensemble. I don't know whether these were actually different groups, different recording names for the same group, or just sloppy "reporting".)

Did the Monarchs have a midget who used to play a huge base harmonica which was double sided and had to keep twisting it as he played.I am sure I have seen this group years ago but cannot now remember where?

Al

Cappy Barra ! What a GREAT name!

Samantha

Well.. not knowing any of those names related to harmonica players and groups, my first association with Cappy Barra is a huge rodent, living in Venezuela :lol: .

Have a look at this!

A famous harmonica player in our (Dutch speaking) region is of course Toots Thielemans.

I thought he might be captain of the football squad from Scotland's Isle of Barra.  ;)

Possibly the Isle of Barra may struggle to produce enough population to make up a full football team -I have not checked the last census but some of the Western Isles are sparsely populated.

- john :)