Recorded Tune Link Page.

This thread is going to be a monologue form my side B)

Again the Recorded Tunes Link Page has been updated.

This time it is with pleasure that I announce four tunes played by Tom Cunliffe (Brightfield) on his Lachenal EC. You can see his concertina and read about Tom's tunes at his very nice website which offers more interesting material :)

Thanks Henk - I think we 'tina players owe you a huge debt of gratitude for all your work on this page.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's time for an update of the Recorded Tunes Link Page:

1. 4 tunes of Bill McHale for comparing the sound of an Edgley and a Kennsington ANglo
  2. The Wind Cries Mary, with Howie Leifer (Radioboy) playing on a Crabb 12 button mini-EC
  3. John Morgan, playing beautiful Welsh tunes on a McCann duet
  4. Stuart Estell with his latest soundmix in which he plays a McCann duet
  5. My first trials on my new G/D Anglo

Have fun listening!

Edited by Henk van Aalten

Danny, beautifully done. Such a sense of line (almost cello-like :) ). The dymanics are perfect. What a nice touch on the instrument. Who is the accompanist? It is an excellent collaboration that left me satisfied.

Pity I could never sing it as well.

Dominique, who rarely pays any attention to my concertina infatuations, came into the study to listen (even stopped spinning wool to do so) and quietly said when the last note had evaporated, "beautiful." This from a lady who makes most of our daily bread singing this very literature.

Thank you Danny and Bravo!

Thanks for the comments :) Explanation of the accompaniment is at the bottom of here, and via that link you can also hear my cello version, if you're feeling brave (I make no claims for my cello playing - I just love the beast!). It's quite an interesting comparison. As it happens I do have a real live pianist here in snowy Bavaria I play cello with sometimes, and occasionally concertina too - we played through the Regondi serenade a few times, but I don't know how he'd feel about playing "real" music on/with concertina :) I can say that because _I_ don't know how I feel about it!

Danny, I did indeed checked out your link and enjoyed your cello rendition. The cello looks quite old, my guess (and this is just from others I have been around) is that it is from the early 1800's.

There have always been transcriptions of compositions to other instruments. English Concertina is a legitimate instrument and a player with your touch and musical taste should not feel constrained by genre. I felt your "Apre un reve" was first rate, wonderful and respectful of the composer. You damn near made that box sing. Gabriel Faure must be smiling down even if he is a bit bemused.

• 3 weeks later...

So.. who's next ;) :)

Would that be me? I just recorded an Em Hambo that came to me from the muse last night.

But how do I submit it to you? The recording is sitting on my mac desktop as an aif file. When I tried attaching it, the Add Reply button became grayed out. Does it have to be an Mp3? How do I convert it? I could not figure out how to get itunes to do that. Any suggestions?

Bravo on your link page. Very enjoyable to hear what everyone is up to.

Jody

Would that be me? I just recorded an Em Hambo that came to me from the muse last night.

But how do I submit it to you? The recording is sitting on my mac desktop as an aif file. When I tried attaching it, the Add Reply button became grayed out. Does it have to be an Mp3? How do I convert it? I could not figure out how to get itunes to do that. Any suggestions?

Bravo on your link page. Very enjoyable to hear what everyone is up to.

Jody

Thanks for your kind words :) .

MP3 is the most common sound file format world wide, so it gives the highest chance that C.Netters will hear the sound file.

I did a Google search on "AIF MP3" and saw that there converters on the internet.

As far as I know MP3 files are allowed to upload to the Forum. The normal procedure is however that an MP3 file is uploaded top the players own website after which I link to the file.

How do I convert it? I could not figure out how to get itunes to do that. Any suggestions?

Jody

Hi, Jody -

Some more folks could maybe find this useful:

Using iTunes for conversion to MP3, both Mac and Win

1) Go to "Preferences", "Advanced" and "Import Using".

(Make a note what the settings are (Encoder and Setting). Then:

Macs:

Change "Import Using" to "MP3 Encoder" (is probably "AAC" , by default).

The "Setting" can be lowered to, say 64 kb/s for use in the "Recorded Tunes link page"

- the lower, the smaller the file. Tradeoff is quality - try it out, if you are curious.

Wins:

"Import Using" is probably "MP3 Encoder" by default,

but lower the setting to 64 kb/s (default is 160 kb/s, I think).

Close "Preferences".

2) In iTunes, now select "Add to Library" - a file dialog appears.

Locate the AIF (or Wav) file you want to convert, then click "OK".

The file is now copied (not moved) to the iTunes library and appears in the Library list somewhere.

It doesn't mean that it's converted, though.

3) Locate the file in the list and Control-click or Right-click it.

From the pop-up menu, select "Convert selection to MP3".

Swish! You have now "ripped" the file (youngster talk for the conversion).

4) You now have two files with the same name in the Library list, the original AIF/Wav and the MP3.

Which is which?

Select "Get info..." on them, one by one, then you'll see.

Note the file size of the MP3. Next: how to get it out of iTunes.

5) Again, Control/Right click, and this time select "Show file".

A normal Finder/Windows window open with the actual file selected.

Easy there! You are in iTunes Library folder now - don't mess around!

But you can safely Control/Right click the file and select "Copy xxxx.MP3"

(yes, on Macs, too) close the window and then paste it wherever on you computer you want it.

6) Clean up: select iTunes' "Preferences" again and restore the Import settings to what they were before - otherwise all future adding (ripping) of CDs will end up in fairly low quality.

You can also delete the two files in the Library if you want.

Looking up the page, this seems a lot, but give it a try, it makes sense.

/Henrik

How do I convert it? I could not figure out how to get itunes to do that. Any suggestions?

Jody

Hi, Jody -

Some more folks could maybe find this useful:

Using iTunes for conversion to MP3, both Mac and Win

Looking up the page, this seems a lot, but give it a try, it makes sense.

/Henrik

Thanks Henrik,

Thanks for that detailed answer. I think my files were way too large. I'll try attaching one. I don't really have a web site to call my own... yet, though I can see that a link is the most efficient way.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Nice recording-- thanks Jody!

In addition to Henrik's instructions you might want to pick up a copy of Audacity (a free program for handling sound files available at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ ) which allows editing of sound files as well as conversion between different formats. I've found it easy to use. Now if I could only play well enough to have anything worth recording ;)

Larry

Thanks Jody for uploading the file. Sounds very nice!!

I wonder if your muse would be interested in a short holiday to The Netherlands :)

I did some editing with Audacity to influence the file size. The original file has a so called bit-rate of 161 Kbps, which is rather high, so I reduced the bit-rate (and as a result file-size) stepwise:

bit-rate file-size

---------------------------------------------

161 kbps 3,072 kb listen

128 kbps 2,420 kb listen

64 kbps 1,210 kb listen

40 kbps 757 kb listen

24 kbps 454 kb listen

----------------------------------------------

Listening to my (poor) notebook speakers I do not hear a big difference between the original and the 64kbps version.

B.T.W: In order to show these files, I placed them (for the time being) on my website. I hope you don't mind Jody :unsure:

Listening to my (poor) notebook speakers I do not hear a big difference between the original and the 64kbps version.

B.T.W: In order to show these files, I placed them (for the time being) on my website. I hope you don't mind Jody

Henk, that's fine. The reductions you made sound OK on my laptop speakers too, right down to 757 kb. However, if you listen to the original download on headphones... all of the reductions are clearly inferior.

Headphones are a quick and cheap way to dramatically improve the fidelity of your listening experience.

What conclusion should I draw? Probably, when offering downloads, there might be a hi and low fidelity version so folks with dial-up or slow equipment don’t have to wait forever, and those who want to take advantage of higher quality can get it.

Baring that, here is another tune for you all. I made this Hurdy Gurdy file as good a compromise as I could between size and quality.

Jody

Oops, no attachment!

I would send you another tune, but it seems that I’ve run out of Global space, only 428.82k left. Oh well, I guess I better get myself a web site to link to.

Jody,

As your contribution has already an address and is inserted in the Recorded Tunes Link Page, you could edit your original mail and delete the attachment. In this way you get enough Global space to upload Hurdy Gurdy file :)

Edited by Henk van Aalten