New Map Of C.net Players

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Stephen, you are a difficult case.

All other free reed instruments shall remain black. What color is rusty English with aspirations toward Anglo, and otherwise collector, connoisseur and savant of concertinas? At the moment you resemble a pimento-stuffed olive prematurely situated over Kilrush, but I don't think we can leave you in such a unique state.

If there were color for the Chemnitzers, and if these Chemnists were C.net members, that color would be all over the Chicago area.

I know of at least 3 people in the Chicago area who play only Anglo, and two of them are professionals who play on CDs, John Williams and Tom Kastle.

So, the map also points out that there are a lot of concertina players who are non-C.net members. I guess we need to convince those folks to join.

...the map also points out that there are a lot of concertina players who are non-C.net members.

Indeed.

There are many ICA members who aren't C.net members, many who are C.net and not ICA, and many more who are neither.

When Allan Atlas reported his survey results I started toting up those players I know personally, and I came up with more than had responded to him in every country but one and I think in every state but two.

Some folks are just more interested in playing than in organizations or surveys...

.........or even pretty speckled maps. :)

Well, Stephen, you are a difficult case.

Funny, that's what my mother says !

All other free reed instruments shall remain black.

Does that mean all the concertina players are surrounded ?

At the moment you resemble a pimento-stuffed olive

Thanks ! (I'll have a pound of them please, I forgot to get some from the French Market in Dublin, on St. Patrick's Day.)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

In reply to Steve Chambers, I may be the Dublin Duet man as I have a Duet, a 56 key WHeatstone Crane, but can at this stage only manage the scale of C. My long term ambition which seems to get longer every year is to play some Tommy Williams type tunes. One of these days I'll tackle the SA tutor. If there's anyone else in Dublin Irl , that is,with a Duet, let us know

...the map also points out that there are a lot of concertina players who are non-C.net members.

There are many ICA members who aren't C.net members, many who are C.net and not ICA, and many more who are neither.

I wonder how many customers we (and similar businesses) have which are neither ICA nor concertina.net folks. Our database shows about 3000 concertina-related transaction customers.

Our database shows about 3000 concertina-related transaction customers.

I wonder how many customers we (and similar businesses) have which are neither ICA nor concertina.net folks.

That 3000 makes it pretty clear: MOST of 'em.

In reply to Steve Chambers, I may be the Dublin Duet man as I have a Duet, a 56 key WHeatstone Crane, but can at this stage only manage the scale of C.

So that's why the rest of them seem to be rowing away at a rate of knots ? (And I thought it was me !)

Hello Shay,

No, Stephen has already said that he got confused by the mention of the Maccann Duet website in my Profile, you will have to edit yours to add what you play, and where you live, to get your very own technicolour dot (and put Dublin back on the map !).

My long term ambition ... is to play some Tommy Williams  type tunes. One of these days I'll tackle the SA tutor.

I think you will find that Tommy's music works much better on the Maccann, though I never heard him play any hymn tunes.

Cheers !

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Aw, well no, sorry to burst everyone's bubble. But Richard's 3000 concertina-related transactions probably represents only 100 people. Everyone gets infected with the concertina virus and then buys a ton of instruments.

Helen

Aw, well no, sorry to burst everyone's bubble. But Richard's 3000 concertina-related transactions probably represents only 100 people. Everyone gets infected with the concertina virus and then buys a ton of instruments..

Actually, I had said "about 3000 concertina-related transaction customers". Our transactions are in the tens of thousands.

I do say "about" as we have computerized records only since 1993 and I'm not about to manually count transactions before then. Even since then we've changed our database several times so tallying up (and weeding out duplicates between) concertina instrument SALES, REPAIRS, TRADES, RENTALS, APPRAISALS, etc. would also be laborious. From what I can easily garner and estimate from our records is that we have done concertina instrument business with about 3000 different people. That is concertina instruments - not CD's, cases, T-shirts, etc.

But you are correct that a number of our customers HAVE bought several (and in some cases considerably more than several) concertinas. I have counted such folk as single customers and not as "transactions". OTOH we also have quite a few people that buy only a single instrument (usually an inexpensive anglo) for a gift and we never hear from them again.

Edited by Richard Morse

Ah well, sorry Richard, I was only teasing as I have bought several accordions from you, not to mention books and CDs.

I like Jim's idea of why someone would be a single purchaser, so to speak.

• 8 months later...
What is the status of your map? When will it be included in the top-level navigation bar?

Henk, I still update the map as members enter new information, so the map at the beginning of this thread is usually, as now, only a new member or two behind. You may notice Hong Kong and Iceland have been added recently.

I have fun with the map, but I probably agree with Ken that many other topics are more deserving of his limited time. In any case, I have no knowledge of that part.

BTW, a question from an ignorant Yank. Why are there so many cnet players in the "belt" of the UK, from Liverpool to Manchester and on to the east coast? Is this strictly where the population density lies, apart from London, or is there another reason?

Edited by Stephen Mills

I do not know Stephen but Liverpool to Manchester belt is/was very strong in North West Morris sides and Folk music and the South East in Morris Sides.

Perhaps that is the reason.

The main culture aroung Liverpool and Manchester is football and somehow I doubt if a concertina has ever gone to a game.Or if it did it would not have come back.

Al