New Map Of C.net Players

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's partly topography, this strip of the UK is bounded by mountains (or hills technically - Peak District to the south, Pennines right through the middle, Vale of Bowland to North West etc.) with a higher rainfall than the rest of the UK. So when mills and factories started to be built they needed a reliable water supply, to run water wheels etc. The first ever factory (yes in the entire world) was built at Cromford in Derbyshire (right at the southern tip of this fringe) by Arkwright (of Spinning Jenny fame). So they built the factories, and people moved to work in them, and large towns and cities sprung up around them.

You should try to find a light pollution photograph of the UK taken on a clear night. The light almost goes from coast to coast in this stretch. (http://www.cpre.org.uk/campaigns/landscape-and-beauty/light-pollution/light-pollution-your-area.htm) various pdfs.

Where you have got more people, you have more with the potential to play a particular instrument. However as Alan says, dance and ritual are strong in these areas with North West & Cotswold Morris, Haxey Hood, Ashbourne Football, Castleton Garland, Derbyshire Well Dressing, Sheffield Carols, York Mystery Plays etc. etc.

edited to add url

Edited by Peter Brook

Is there any convenient way to find out who a given dot on the map belongs to? For instance, I assume that I am the green dot (English) near Philadelphia. I notice there is a yellow dot (Anglo + English) very nearby and would be interested in knowing who that is. I don't see a way to search the member list except for opening each and every member's profile.

:)

Steven

The main culture aroung Liverpool and Manchester is football and somehow I doubt if a concertina has ever gone to a game.Or if it did it would not have come back.

Unfortunately I do know of a concertina (a semi-miniature Jeffries at that !) that was stolen from the boot of a car in Dublin and used as a football :o (but it has been restored since).

There is still a strong (Orange) concertina band culture around Liverpool, playing almost entirely anglos.

Is there any convenient way to find out who a given dot on the map belongs to?  For instance, I assume that I am the green dot (English) near Philadelphia.  I notice there is a yellow dot (Anglo + English) very nearby and would be interested in knowing who that is.  I don't see a way to search the member list except for opening each and every member's profile.

Actually, it's worse than that, since most of the information comes not from member profiles, which are not usually filled in, but from their postings. Perhaps members don't enter information into their profiles because they're not sure what they're getting into when they first register. It's my opinion that volunteering of such information, including one's real name, leads to an atmosphere where respect for other members predominates, as here, rather than enabling blind attacks on those who may hold other opinions, as in some other forums.

I'm away from my map data, which is on my work computer (sh!), but I'm sure, Bill, you are listed as an Anglo player near Baltimore from your postings. Steven, I'll see what I find for your area.

And thanks for the URL, Peter. I think the match of the UK membership and the light pollution map provides compelling evidence population density is the determining factor (excluding those I've exiled to St. George's channel for not being more specific than "UK").

post-4-1103321833.gif

Edited by Stephen Mills

Thanks, Stephen, for all of your hard work.

I guess I am still the official Ohio concertina player. I believe Henk has twice the Ohio contingent. Lucky Henk. Maybe I should go join Henk.

Helen

Ah math. I was gonna say that if I joined Henk we would then have three times the Ohio contingent, but of course we wouldn't. If I left, there would be no Ohio contingent. Oh well.

I am sure there are more players in Ohio, just not a part of Cnet or at least not listing Ohio.

Thanks Stephen I have just noticed the big red splodge near my house and realised I left the outside lights on.It should look a bit better now.

Al :ph34r:

Thanks, Al.

I had feared it was a football riot, with hooligans kicking and possibly burning concertinas. Thanks for setting my mind at ease.

Stephen