Wanted: "my" Aeola-piccolo....

conzertino

Hi, here`s my heartbreaking story: 30 years ago when I was studying in Edinburgh, I found 4 concertinas for sale at the exchange & mart paper: 1 Edeophone, 1 clarinet, 1 oboe and 1 Aeola-piccolo. The lady only wanted to sell the lot and asked 1000 Sterling for them - too much money for a student in those days. So Steve Chambers bought the lot in the end.

I used to play and admire the piccolo at Steve's old house in London, but he refused to sell it.... One dark day Steve needed money and sold "my" piccolo to a player / collector called Mr. Green?!?!? So far I haven't been able to trace down Mr. Green nor find another eboney-ended Aeola-Piccolo.

Ten years ago I gave up hope and ordered an Aeola-piccolo just like "mine" with Steve Dickenson.... Well, that was 10 years ago and according to his latest report he still is busy making it.

I'm growing older and finally decided that I do not want to finish my days piccolo-less. Now that I joined the net, I'm sending my cry for help out into the community!!!!

Who knows Mr Green or owns or knows of an eboney-ended Aeola-piccolo for sale or trade-in?!?

I used to play and admire the piccolo at Steve's old house in London, but he refused to sell it.... One dark day Steve needed money and sold "my" piccolo to a player / collector called Mr. Green?!?!? So far I haven't been able to trace down Mr. Green nor find another eboney-ended Aeola-Piccolo.

Ten years ago I gave up hope and ordered an Aeola-piccolo just like "mine" with Steve Dickenson.... Well, that was 10 years ago and according to his latest report he still is busy making it.

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the Forum!

As you will probably know, Steve Chambers is a regular visitor to this Forum. I'm sure he will comment; was it Mr Green, or Mr Woods? Either way, "your" concertina probably soon winged its way to another player, or a collector.

Aeola Piccolos are about as rare as Dickinson Wheatstones. The late Glad Thorp played one, and John Wild might be able to shed some light as to whether this instrument is still available.

Good luck with your quest!

Regards,

Peter.

[Aeola Piccolos are about as rare as Dickinson Wheatstones. The late Glad Thorp played one, and John Wild might be able to shed some light as to whether this instrument is still available.

Glad had two piccolo concertinas. Both were sold to new owners by the estate. The Dickinson Wheatstone went to an experienced player for use in ensemble playing. I believe he is a member of these forums and may well read this thread. If so, and if perchance he has changed his mind about the instrument I am sure he will declare himself, but I am not expecting that.

the other instrument is a lachenal edeophone piccolo. I am in contact with its new owner, and there is a possibility he might be willing to sell.

I will send you a personal message with more details.

Regards

John Wild

• 2 weeks later...

Helen Kennedy (Wife of former EFDSS Director Douglas Kennedy) played an Aeola English Piccolo in the "Jolly Waggoners Band" back in the 1950s, you can pick out her playing if you listen carefully to any of the many recordings they made. This concertina went to her son the Ethnomusicologist and folk music collector Peter Kennedy; he still had it when I ran into him a few years back, but never played it (he played a D/G club melodeon). Peter died a couple or so years ago; I have no idea what happened to the piccolo-aeola. Peter also had a massive collection of recordings of traditional music (mostly English and Irish) including a number of concertina players; does anyone know what happened to this collection?

Inventor.

Very interesting,Inventor.

I was shortly going to post a question on this forum about Helen Kennedy as I had heard she played an English concertina.

A year ago I spotted an Aeola Piccolo on the Hobgolin (London) website and bought it within hours of it being posted......even before pictures were posted. At the time I did not know where it came from although there was a label attached saying " sold on consignment for Mr.Kennedy". I happened to be in the same store this august and asked someone there if there was a connection and he confirmed that it had been Helen Kennedy's. I also had been looking for one for ages.

I would be interested to find out if she bought it from new from Wheatstone.She kept it in immaculate condition because it is pristine..............I've seldom seen a concertina of that age in such good nick.It's from 1931 (#32349)

Wheatsone Ledgers

The piccolo is an interesting addition to the range of English concertinas.............in the lower range ( key of C) it's loud enough to make your ears bleed, but in a group you can adjust the volume such that it blends and sounds perfect.If you play it too loud it's very obtrusive and too quiet and it disappears.But get the volume just right and it's seems to occupy an unfilled slice of the aural pie-chart.

Do you have any idea of how I could access any of their recordings...........I would love to hear it.

Regards

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

I am very glad to hear that this instrument found a good home. I would think almost certainly Helen Kennedy bought this instrument new in 1931. My late father used to run Folk dances in the Medway Towns in the 50s & 60s and had a good sized collection of Folk (American, English, Scottish, Irish, & Balkan) Music records, almost all on 78 rpms; I still have them somewhere, in my rambling house. I have no means of turning these into CDs or sending them over the internet at present, there are probably copyright implications of this anyway.

I remember that all the musicians in the Jolly Waggoners Band are listed including Helen Kennedy. None are of her playing solo. In the late 50s I used to go to the EFDSS music sessions on the week after Christmas at Chelsea College London taken by Douglas Kennedy (drum); she was always there, and very occasionly I heard her play solo, however I doubt if she ever recorded solo; but if she did they must be in the Peter Kennedy archive collection, which brings me back to my question - What happened to the Peter Kennedy archive ? Did it go to the Vaughn Williams Library at Cecil Sharp House ?

Inventor.

As you will probably know, Steve Chambers is a regular visitor to this Forum. I'm sure he will comment; was it Mr Green, or Mr Woods? Either way, "your" concertina probably soon winged its way to another player, or a collector.

As a matter of fact I was playing that same piccolo, in London, only a few weeks ago - it still belongs to my friend, the same "Mr. Green".

I could ask him if he'd consider selling it?

It was part of a "complete set" of ebony-ended Aeolas that I had at the time, from miniature, through all the sizes, to bass.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Hi Steve, I tried to send you a message, but your inbox is full?!? I'll keep trying...

As a matter of fact I was playing that same piccolo, in London, only a few weeks ago - it still belongs to my friend, the same "Mr. Green".

I could ask him if he'd consider selling it?

It was part of a "complete set" of ebony-ended Aeolas that I had at the time, from miniature, through the sizes, to bass.

- What happened to the Peter Kennedy archive ? Did it go to the Vaughn Williams Library at Cecil Sharp House ?

Inventor.

inventor Brian,Peters collection went to..a museum in the west country, I think.

there was a discussion on mudcat,about PeterKennedy,could it have been Kilve house?

According to this link, Dick, it was Halsway Manor:

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:uKDSVJ...kennedy%22+conc

I still have a vision of you "arriving" at breakfast on the Saturday of Halsway 1986, looking somewhat worse for wear. I seem to recall that you had a solo booking on the Friday night and arrived very late for the weekend, where you were part of the New Mexborough Quartet. Happy days! :rolleyes: