Ideal Storage / Transport Case For An Anglo?

I have just acquired a 30 key Linota which came in an aluminium flight case into which it l fits loosely. The case needs padding out for a snug fit anyway, but should I put 'blocks' in the case to keep the bellows closed tightly? I had in mind a block either side above the keys and another below the hand rest.

Advice very welcome

David

Edited by David S

David, I believe that it is worth the investment to put blocks in your case. If you lived in North America I would have recommended Greg Jowaises to you. He makes the best cases! A person can cover the blocks in a rich velvet coloured cloth and keep your concertina secured. Greg is a member of this forum and I am sure that he will give you some advice too.

I have had many 1950's Wheaststone cases that housed beautiful concertinas but had no blocks. The Button Box in the USA can install blocks for a person even in an old case.

Linotas are a hot item today! Do you have a photo that you can post?

Ben

I did something like that for my case :

I used the kind of black foam that you usually

get when you buy a computer or a screen.

This is efficient to hold firmly the instrument but

not very beautiful; I will probably buy a "true" concertina

case someday.

David

Hello

I was shown a very simple way of padding a concertina case, by Terry Evans of The Music Room, Cleckheaton. She used small leather covered pads, usually used to wipe the interior of car windscreens. These are readily available and seem to do the job.

Ron

• 1 year later...

I tried a trick I found in the Ergonomics forum for raising the hand rests with foam pipe insulation. When I put it in the case, I found it did a nice job of holding the bellows closed between the handles so I cut 2 more pieces to slide in on the top side of the buttons inside the case. They are firm but flexible and hold it quite securely. The foam can be bought in different sizes and is easily trimmed to fit any size case. I used the size for 1/2" diameter pipe. I intend to cover them with cloth in case the foam might react with or stick to the finish. Will they last? Only time will tell.

The photos are from my phone so they're not great but you get the idea.

Jul31_0001.jpgJul31_0002.jpg

I tried a trick I found in the Ergonomics forum for raising the hand rests with foam pipe insulation. When I put it in the case, I found it did a nice job of holding the bellows closed between the handles so I cut 2 more pieces to slide in on the top side of the buttons inside the case. They are firm but flexible and hold it quite securely. The foam can be bought in different sizes and is easily trimmed to fit any size case. I used the size for 1/2" diameter pipe. I intend to cover them with cloth in case the foam might react with or stick to the finish. Will they last? Only time will tell.

The photos are from my phone so they're not great but you get the idea.

Jul31_0001.jpgJul31_0002.jpg

I cannot understand why we are sometimes advised that the Concertina should be stored with the bellows held tightly closed under some degree of pressure. To what advantage ? It obviously helps to maintain the instrument as a more solid entity during transport but this can be achieved perfectly adequately by a correctly fitting, well-padded, rigid case which prevents any movement of the contents.. I reckon that the bellows of my instrument probably benefit from resting in a closed but rather more relaxed state. They get all the regular exercise needed to keep them in good heart through constant daily use, and the very occasional application of a good quality cream polish. "So what ?", I hear you all saying !

I made the blocks in the case I made for my Wheatstone model 21 out of several layers of corrugated cardboard glued together and then cut to size using a band saw. I added a little quilt batting and then covered them with velvet. They are softer than wood, but still provide the support for the bellows. So far this has worked fine. The case is about 5 years old now.

The case from 1921 that came with my Aeola has leather blocks. Is that about when Wheatstone started shipping concertinas with blocked cases?

I have used foam in the past and it eventually disintegrates, or when putting the concertina in and out of the case small particles of the foam flake away.One tiny particle will block up a reed. When you are on stage you require a quick access to your instrument you certainly do not want to be dismantling pieces of foam or tubing to get to it. Sadly the very time the little bit of foam blocks up a reed is when you are sitting in front of an audience.

Al

I cannot understand why we are sometimes advised that the Concertina should be stored with the bellows held tightly closed under some degree of pressure. To what advantage ? It obviously helps to maintain the instrument as a more solid entity during transport but this can be achieved perfectly adequately by a correctly fitting, well-padded, rigid case which prevents any movement of the contents.. I reckon that the bellows of my instrument probably benefit from resting in a closed but rather more relaxed state. They get all the regular exercise needed to keep them in good heart through constant daily use, and the very occasional application of a good quality cream polish. "So what ?", I hear you all saying !

Why store with bellows compressed? simple, if the bellows are allowed to relax then they will adopt a part open natural position. This results in a curtailment in phrasing when playing in the 'squeeze' direction. As you move the instrument closer to full compression, the bellows resistance will increase sooner than it should.

Dave E

Why store with bellows compressed? simple, if the bellows are allowed to relax then they will adopt a part open natural position. This results in a curtailment in phrasing when playing in the 'squeeze' direction. As you move the instrument closer to full compression, the bellows resistance will increase sooner than it should.

Dave E

Does not the same argument apply to the fully-extended position of the bellows ? It is all too easy to run out of air at either end, for exactly the same reason.

Dave E

Does not the same argument apply to the fully-extended position of the bellows ? It is all too easy to run out of air at either end, for exactly the same reason.

Exactly true, that is why you are advised to periodically fully open bellows (with button depressed of course) to ensure that the full articulation is available. The big difference is that when bellows are closed all the gusset folds are tight and are trying to push the instrument open, and the top skives are also stretched and under tension, it seems to provide more resistance.

Either way it is not bad advice, the golden oldies who built the instruments did know a thing or two, and they developed the boxes for the better instruments with firmly fitting blocks, who am I to argue?

Dave

Either way it is not bad advice, the golden oldies who built the instruments did know a thing or two, and they developed the boxes for the better instruments with firmly fitting blocks, who am I to argue?

One argument against storing a concertina in a case with the bellows open is that it's difficult to brace it solidly in that position, while bracing is solidly in closed position is easy to do... with blocks. If an open bellows is able to move, a sufficiently violent impact could have dire consequences. I've mentioned before what happened to a concertina that fell one-end-first to the floor with the bellows half open: The floor suddenly stopped the end that faced downward, but the other end had enough momentum to continue moving, suddenly and violently compressing the bellows and the contained air until the bellows burst, splitting along several seams at once.

I have used foam in the past and it eventually disintegrates, or when putting the concertina in and out of the case small particles of the foam flake away.One tiny particle will block up a reed. When you are on stage you require a quick access to your instrument you certainly do not want to be dismantling pieces of foam or tubing to get to it. Sadly the very time the little bit of foam blocks up a reed is when you are sitting in front of an audience.

Al

Two years ago, I found a 3ft long strip of fine density foam, 2" x 1", in a skip, which I thought would be ideal, cut to length, to use for blocking my concertina in its case. I cut four pieces to length, one for each corner, and they do the job perfectly. Being spongy, they have a bit of give in them that solid blocks don't have. In the two years I have had them, there has been no deterioration in the foam; no bits flaking away. It must be better quality foam than Alan has used. Colin Dipper recommends tying the bellows together with strips of material to keep them in the closed position. Melodeon bellows, when the instrument is not in use, are kept closed by the use of narrow straps, top and bottom, that are fixed by a screw at one end and secured by a form of press stud at the other. I have seen these type of straps used to secure the bellows in the closed position on some of the cheap anglos. Personally I think their fitment would spoil the appearance of the concertina, being a much smaller instrument, and could get in the way of opening and closing the bellows, when the instrument is being played..

Chris

Al

Colin Dipper recommends tying the bellows together with strips of material to keep them in the closed position.

Chris

Another good tip from my musical mentor, Glad Thorp, which I pass on: Get a square scarf to wrap the concertina in. For best quality a silk scarf can be used. Otherwise, use a polyester/cotton square, readily available from shops such as tie rack. Place the scarf inside the case, then sit the concertina in it. Diagonally opposite corners are drawn together and knotted in the centre above the instrument. This holds the bellows together and keeps out any flakes of dust or fibre detaching from the lining of the case or the corner blocks.

regards,

John Wild

• 2 weeks later...

you say this now, but wait till you play an instrument which was not stored with the bellows tightly closed and allowed to take on another shape. the bellows are designed to be snug when closed, and keeping the concertina in a good case ensures the bellows will stay that way. i have played concertinas which were not properly stored and ended up having a default bellows position which was both extended and distorted, making it very difficult to play.

there are several key aspects to having good bellows on an anglo, but only one of them is controllable after it leaves the builder. there is simply no good reason to take an instrument with good bellows and store it "relaxed." we can debate how tight is tight. there is no reason to have the bellows packed so tight that it is difficult to get it in and out of the case (once the case has been broken in, of course). likewise, there is no reason to let the bellows "relax" in the case.

Dave E

no, the same argument does not apply for fully extended bellows. the bellows are not solid leather, but rather have cardstock inside. if you took the bellows, fully extended them, tied them to stay that way, and left them for a couple months, the bellows would be ruined. if you leave it fully compressed for several months, the bellows would be preserved. this is due to the way that paper acts when folded and then folded back against its crease--something we should all be familiar with.

the bellow are easier to control when they are more closed than more extended--this is why it is important to have the ability to close them as easily as possible, because you would be compromising the most efficient position of the instrument. the converse is true for breathing--imagine not being allowed to take a full breath when singing due to restrictive pants, as having full air allows for most control in singing, just as having almost-closed bellows gives the most control for concertina playing. in singing, you never sing all the way to the end of your lung capacity--just as you never pull to the very end of the concertina. if you want more capacity for singing you work on increasing your lung capacity, not on pushing more air out... just as with the concertina, you buy bellows with an extra fold, not pull harder against fully extended bellows.

i have never fully extended my bellows on my concertina, and i never will. i just measured, and fully closed my bellows are 2 inches long (from frame to frame, not leather to leather), and as far as will extend them they are 12.25 inches. that gives me 10.25 inches of extension--i am sure that if i pulled really hard i could get as much as another half an inch or more, but i am not interested in finding out, because that will damage the bellows and that extra half an inch will be basically uncontrollable anyways. if i wanted more room to extend, i would buy new bellows with another fold, which would give me maybe an inch and a half or two inches more space, if we consider 12inches/6 folds to be ~2 inches of usable space per bellows fold.

so, although you are correct in that there is an unusable range when extended, storing the bellows decompressed and letting the bellows have a naturally loose position does NOT reduce the size of the unusable range on the extension, and only CREATES an unusable range on the compression which did not exist before. to put it in different terms, saying that just because there is a point on the extension of the bellows where the concertina will naturally try to contract is a reason to keep the bellows loose is like saying that just because i cannot turn my head 360 degrees means i should keep my neck limp until it develops a crink, so that i cannot look forward. causing a new problem that does not solve an old problem leaves you with two problems, instead of one.

Edited by david_boveri

I have just acquired a 30 key Linota which came in an aluminium flight case into which it l fits loosely. The case needs padding out for a snug fit anyway, but should I put 'blocks' in the case to keep the bellows closed tightly? I had in mind a block either side above the keys and another below the hand rest.

Advice very welcome

David

you should definitely put in some blocks. everyone here has good recommendations. if you cant fit some good blocks, i'd be more than happy to take the linota off your hands and give it a new home and a good case :rolleyes:. free of charge, too.

David

you should definitely put in some blocks. everyone here has good recommendations. if you cant fit some good blocks, i'd be more than happy to take the linota off your hands and give it a new home and a good case :rolleyes:. free of charge, too.

David, that is a very thoughtful, kind and generous offer. However I have asked the Linota what she thinks (it is definitely a 'she') and she would rather stay in England and continue to learn English tunes and live in the very snug blocked double box which I made, following the good advice of this forum, for her and her mellow G/D companion.

Best wishes

David