Hey, I'm On Youtube!

Thought some of you might be interested in these clips made by a passing cameraman when I was appearing at Otley Folk Festival with Gordon Tyrrall a couple of weeks ago. Sound balance and lighting aren't ideal, and the clips aren't all complete, but you get the general idea. I've linked the concertina-ish ones, but there are a few more up there on which I'm playing melodeon.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=32ZWXkIpQA8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QjX7NIio3kg

Thought some of you might be interested in these clips made by a passing cameraman when I was appearing at Otley Folk Festival with Gordon Tyrrall a couple of weeks ago. Sound balance and lighting aren't ideal, and the clips aren't all complete, but you get the general idea. I've linked the concertina-ish ones, but there are a few more up there on which I'm playing melodeon.

Howdy Brian:

Great to "see" and hear you again. Quality did not seem that terrible for a Youtube clip.

I'm just happy to watch and hear you play.

Any new CD's on the way??

Any performances coming up in the NYC area?

Best,

Perry Werner

Brian

You were posting as I was looking up new videos for the weekend, and duplicated them in the Videos thread. Apologise for stealing the spotlight. :(

If you click on the users name it will come up with quite a few more. He says: "I Go Folk Festivals & video acts and put them on Youtube". He has 494 videos listed. How many of them do we know?

http://uk.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=SIMMO7TS&p=r

Thanks

Leo

Howdy Brian:

Great to "see" and hear you again. Quality did not seem that terrible for a Youtube clip.

I'm just happy to watch and hear you play.

Any new CD's on the way??

Any performances coming up in the NYC area?

Hello there Perry, nice to hear from you. My forthcoming CD (out early next year) will be of Child Ballads, with squeezeboxes not entirely absent but generally taking a back seat. My next US trip will be a short-ish visit next summer to teach at Pinewoods Camp (probably mostly on the song side, again), but I'm already planning a tour in Spring 2009 which I hope will include at least one date in the NYC area. I'll let you know.

Glad you thought clip quality was OK. I'm very new to YouTube, but having watched a few other clips I get your point.

Brian

What's the name of the second tune in the set? I remember it as being Welsh, but can't remember the title.

Hi Peter,

You're almost right. The middle one, which I learned from an old Muckram Wakes LP believing it to be "Little Red House in Cardiff" was in fact the wrong tune from their medley, and is really "The First of August", apparently from Denmark. This rather buggered up the 'Welsh Set' I thought I'd put together. There was an amusing coda to the tale when I played the set in front of Roger Watson (who I'm sure you'll remember played melodeon in Muckram Wakes) and he told me that the tune they believed to be "Little Red House in Cardiff" and recorded was a different tune altogether. So even if I'd learned the right tune off their record, it would have been the wrong one - if you see what I mean.

I think the first tune is "Cefn Coed Polka", and the last one is definitely my own composition "Caepantywyll". A solo rendition of "First of August" is on the recordings area of this site, hosted by Henk.

What's the name of the second tune in the set? I remember it as being Welsh, but can't remember the title.

Hi Peter,

You're almost right. The middle one, which I learned from an old Muckram Wakes LP believing it to be "Little Red House in Cardiff" was in fact the wrong tune from their medley, and is really "The First of August", apparently from Denmark. This rather buggered up the 'Welsh Set' I thought I'd put together. There was an amusing coda to the tale when I played the set in front of Roger Watson (who I'm sure you'll remember played melodeon in Muckram Wakes) and he told me that the tune they believed to be "Little Red House in Cardiff" and recorded was a different tune altogether. So even if I'd learned the right tune off their record, it would have been the wrong one - if you see what I mean.

I think the first tune is "Cefn Coed Polka", and the last one is definitely my own composition "Caepantywyll". A solo rendition of "First of August" is on the recordings area of this site, hosted by Henk.

Hi Brian,

I think that I suffered from the same confusion as you! I learnt "Little Red House in Cardiff" from the same album, then found that it wasn't when I heard Mick Tems & Pat Smith playing "Ty Coch Caerdydd" (Cardiff Red House).

So, tune two of your set can be described as "in the Welsh style".

Anyway, Brian, thanks for giving the above details.

Regards,

Peter.

PS - I'm on YouTube too! I know this, since I've uploaded some short video clips. Interestingly, there is also a recording from 1996 of me playing "Ty Coch Caerdydd" with Mike Lambert. I've saved this amongst my "favourites". It was recorded by Masayoshi and Maki Koizumi when they visited my house.

So, tune two of your set can be described as "in the Welsh style".

I daresay those Danes are Celts, really, under the surface.

PS - I'm on YouTube too! I know this, since I've uploaded some short video clips. Interestingly, there is also a recording from 1996 of me playing "Ty Coch Caerdydd" with Mike Lambert.

Ah, so that's what it's supposed to sound like! Nice clip - I like the drone accompaniment at the beginning. Here's the link, since you were too modest:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MvQ5Bs6VuM0

Leo: I didn't realise there was a separate video section on the forum - I suppose I should have posted there, really. As I say, I'm very new to YouTube, but quickly realising it's an amazing resource. I was watching Flaco Jimenez just minutes ago!

The best concertina clips so far. Now I want Anglo again. But I'll resist. For now.

Leo: I didn't realise there was a separate video section on the forum - I suppose I should have posted there, really. As I say, I'm very new to YouTube, but quickly realising it's an amazing resource. I was watching Flaco Jimenez just minutes ago!

Brian

Not at all. It's not really a separate section, and didn't mean to imply that. I just started looking videos up in Jan '07 and thought my posts would have been better kept to one thread rather than scattering them through the forum so they don't get lost. I don't own it. I never thought it would keep going this long. Interesting videos from new players struggling in their learning to professionals showing us how it's done. We just happened to be posting and researching close to the same time on the same subject.

Enjoyed your playing I watched a few of them. There are at least 15 videos of you from that user on YouTube. Didn't look at all +500.

YouTube also has a concertina group started by one of our members here:

http://youtube.com/group/concertina

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Brian

Not at all. It's not really a separate section, and didn't mean to imply that. I just started looking videos up in Jan '07 and thought my posts would have been better kept to one thread rather than scattering them through the forum so they don't get lost. I don't own it. I never thought it would keep going this long. Interesting videos from new players struggling in their learning to professionals showing us how it's done. We just happened to be posting and researching

Actually, I've thought seriously that this would justify a new subforum for on-line recorded performances, for Leo's thread and the huge long one (Henk's, isn't it?) about audio recordings and the like.

Ken

Actually, I've thought seriously that this would justify a new subforum for on-line recorded performances, for Leo's thread and the huge long one (Henk's, isn't it?) about audio recordings and the like.

Ken

If that's feasible, Ken (i.e. relatively easy to arrange), I'd vote in favour. It could prove to be a useful learning area of the Forum, and I'm sure that the more popular threads would take on a life of their own.

Regards,

Peter.

Rather than or in addition to a subforum, would there be any possibility of an expanded version of Henk's old recorded links page? I really appreciate Leo's posts and the YouTube concertina group, but they don't have any internal organization and become hard to use (except to see the new stuff) as they get large.

I've thought about this on and off for a while. If Henk no longer has the time to maintain his page, I wonder if someone else might be able to step forward, or whether there might be a site somewhere that could host the thing where several of us could contribute, using agreed upon protocols to keep the organization consistent. (Can you tell that I'm a librarian in my day job?) But I haven't identified a good site for that yet--I was thinking of of possibly del.icio.us, but I don't think it's quite right.

Any thoughts on this, anyone?

Daniel

Ken

If that's feasible, Ken (i.e. relatively easy to arrange), I'd vote in favour. It could prove to be a useful learning area of the Forum, and I'm sure that the more popular threads would take on a life of their own.

Regards,

Peter.

Well Brian very nice. I can see now that I'll never be a Brian Peters. Whatever, see you at Witney in November. Although pity, I'm not at your workshop. I'll be doing more basic stuff.

Anyone else coming to Witney??

Chas