A Very Very Cool Baritone Anglo - In A Standard Size!

One advantage to a small box is that the pressure in a small bellows is higher than that produced in a large bellows. Since free reeds are pressure driven that should make the reeds speak more quickly.

A lighter, more agile instrument is also a plus.

I guess, but agility doesn't depend on the size of the cabinet, and accordions are not known to speak slower than concertina. The size/pressure may affect the loudness, but slightly larger vs. slightly smaller makes no noticeable difference. But the benefits of fitting all the reeds, plus large air valve, plus some room for modifications, buffles, what not, are lacking in smallish concertinas. And to me, it looks strange, when a player sits down and start doing something with his face, the sound of music emerges, but the instrument is not to be seen. :rolleyes:

I actually don't understand why Morse Baritone, and even Trebble are squeezed in such small cabinets. What is the benefit of having no space?
The 6 1/4" is considered the "standard" size for that type of concertina which is a major reason why we chose that size when we started making them. Agility, pressure, response, physical size, etc. are probably good reasons why that size became a "standard".

After several people asked us if we'd make a baritone - we tried the idea out by converting what we already had - the 6 1/4 stuff. The first prototype was pretty poor. *Very* slow acting reeds, not much low-end volume.... We subsequently got custom dimensioned reeds, worked out larger and longer chambers, folded the largest over to double their sizes, deepened the bellows frames.... and now have a very playable box. It's not as loud and poppy as a larger instrument would be, but it does have it's place.

We're currently working on a larger format which eventually will be used for more powerful English and anglo baritone versions.

-- Rich --

.... We subsequently got custom dimensioned reeds,...

You can get the reeds custom-dimensioned, but not narrower reed plates?

Strange. I would think the latter would be easier.

Yes you can get narrower plates, but with the plates typically sitting on top of the chambers and the inside valve clearances needed, there is very little much narrower the plates can get. Over the entire width of a concertina it may make a 1/4" difference which isn't enough to add another reed.

-- Rich --

Just a quickie reply to woody - I've got a G/D Dipper Bass anglo. It was made for me back along by Colin and Rosalie + casework by Robin Scard, sourced from a 100+ year old grand piano (the black notes were used for the buttons). It's a 33 key instrument which plays remarkably quickly and is truly deep and resonant like a grand organ. It isn't all that big and physically shakes with the power of the low reeds, which, incidentally, are held in large, separate chambers making the left side wider than the right. Anyway, thought I'd mention this as it cropped up on the thread. Maybe one day when I've got my head around posting piccies, I'll put some up for interest. I also wondered if there are any others out there - when I commissioned mine, it seemed to be something new for Colin - I think I was just over 40 at the time and it arrived when I was about 45ish, if memory serves - past 60 now, so I do forget the details!!! ho hum. :(

Oops! sorry, my reply was for Chris Timson, not Woody.

This age thing is getting worse - must go and take me medication!! Doodle

Dr Timson prescribes several drams of Arran single malt. You'll still be forgetting things, but it won't matter so much!

That wasn't your bass G/D I encountered on the esplanade at Sidmouth lo! these many years ago? Lovely instrument if it was.

Chris

Oops! sorry, my reply was for Chris Timson, not Woody.

This age thing is getting worse - must go and take me medication!! Doodle

I'm quite happy to be mistaken for Chris - especially if it means I get his Concertina collection :D

I have a Tedrow Aeola which is a G/D in the Baritone range.

It plays wonderfully, and I've never had any trouble being heard. Even more delightfully, this morning I was able to play for 20 minutes without any particular additional discomfort (I spent a long spring recovering from reconstructive surgery after I had an unfortunate mishap involving black ice, the pavement, and my anatomy).

--Dave

Fellow players,

Craig Wagner wrote a wonderful review of the Edgley Baritone. I'd like to add my comments since I'm the lucky "customer" that Craig refers to.

The concertina arrived today and it is a magnificent instrument. It is gorgeous. It plays wonderfully. And it sounds fantastic. It's a real joy to play. I can't compare it to a Dipper (since I've never played one) but I honestly couldn't have hoped for a nicer instrument. The concertina is certainly everything Craig said it was.

I'm super lucky in having the chance to own this instrument. For the past couple of years I've wanted a baritone box and started searching for makers. I had bought a standard treble from Frank a few years ago and have been very happy with it so I wrote to Frank and asked him if he made baritones. He replied, "I am considering making one and have ordered reeds for same. This would be my first. Keep checking with me and if you are interested, and if I am satisfied with it, I'll give you first "dibs" on it." Well ... I did and he did and I now have it! It's a wonderful instrument and I'm delighted with it.

Bill Taffe

All,

I wanted to share with you a delightful concertina experience that I had today. But, before I do that, let me digress.

In addition to a standard CG, I've played a Baritone Anglo CG for about 3 years now, made by Colin Dipper. The depth of the low tones are fairly stunning to my ears, and for those familiar with Colin's work, you probably appreciate that it is an incredible instrument. My standards for the sounds of Baritone are probably fairly high.

With a Dipper as a standard, Frank Edgley handed me a concertina today and asked me to take it for a test drive. It was a concertina that he was ready to box up and send off to a customer. I first looked at it and it had his typical fine craftsmanship. This one had highly polished metal ends, deep amber wood sides and his standard great bellows. It was the standard CG size and weight.

Imagine my surprise, when I pulled my first chord, and out jumped a Baritone! Yes, a full octave below a standard CG in the size of a standard CG concertina. If you would have asked me in advance, I would have told you that I would have been skeptical about sound quality. I've had the ends off of my Dipper Baritone and there are some mighty big reed chambers. I would have thought those big chambers were needed to capture a big fat sound. But, the sound was warm, deep and buttery! I think the best chord on a CG Baritone is a G chord built on the foundation of the kick-butt low G. I pulled on that chord and out came a chord that was not a lot different from my Dipper. I was surprised in that the low accordion reeds sound a lot like the steel concertina reeds - the lower you went, the more, at least to my ears, it sounded like the reeds of my Dipper.

After playing if for a while, I noticed that it was easier to manage than my Dipper because it was a standard size and weight. Normally, playing a Baritone is a bit more labor intensive than a standard CG - the more labor intensive the faster you try to play. I also noticed that the box required a playing style very close to the style demanded by my Dipper. Basically, what I mean is that you have to coax the very lowest reeds a bit, starting with a small volume of air through the reed to get it going, and once it is vibrating, you can then get more aggressive and rip off a nice chord. So, it played like my Dipper. If anything, Frank's concertina reeds perhaps spoke a tad faster than the Dipper. And, for those of you who have played Frank's standard CG, I think you might agree that there probably isn't a faster action anywhere.

To my knowledge, this is the first Baritone in a standard CG size. I asked him how he did it, and basically he went back to his reed maker and had them specifically design reeds that would fit into a standard size.

My recommendation: A very strong instrument - and the only one on the planet that I've seen at that size. Have you seen others? I forgot to ask him what he is charging for it, but suspect it isn't much more than his standard concertinas. Am I going to sell my Dipper? No. But, its hard for me to imagine a nicer Baritone in that price range, well crafted and available in 6 months.

For those of you who have a bad case of concertina envy, this is a wonderful 2nd concertina. When I go to sessions, I typically bring two concertinas. My main squeeze CG and the Baritone. The Baritone offers the ability to add great depth to a session (all the whistles, fiddles, concertinas and pipes in the high range need some good balance!). Perhaps you want to try chord vamping as your next thing to try at your sessions.

Enjoy!

Craig Wagner

Thanks, Bill. As to the size, it's a 6 1/8 inch hexagonal instrument. I may be wrong, but many other baritones are much larger, and I don't know of any others smaller than 6 1/4 inches, so I was pleased to be able fit it all into 6 1/8 inches!

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to make a reed order for baritone reeds, soon. Since I can't afford to order large numbers of sets, I am only planning to order the number actually needed for current orders. If you are interested, please let me know by e-mail as soon as possible, and I will increase the order to cover your instrument. Delivery time should be 4-6 months. :)

i see i'm behind on the news and you've already had a thread on this, but mr. edgley, i just was on your site a propos of this baritone discussion, and the video of asher perkins on your site is wonderful! the concertina's tone is gorgeous, and his playing is just lovely----much virtuosity, yet very tasteful! i love how the ornaments never overhwelm the melody, yet he is playing at such a high technical level, and the expressiveness & rhythm are great....

Edited by ceemonster