Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game 2007

Ah, in my youth I did linger long appreciating the delicate scents and rustic charm of the Valley of Saffron, ie Croydon. A tranquil backwater, so surprising full of architectural treasures. What pleasure there was in my daily journey on the 166 bus, the friendly scrum of schoolboys at the bus stop, the cheery wave of the bus driver as he went by without stopping, the rickety vibration of the traditional one-man-operated DMS bus. Oh to witness again the traditional cultural activities of the trusty locals on Croydon High Street of a Friday night. I feel a true ache in my heart that I have been exiled to the tedious wastelands of the Chiltern Hills.

Ivan,

I should forward this to our local Tourist Board. I knew a place like this, in the 1950's. Croydon High Street on a Friday night now resembles a war zone, or at least it did two or three years ago. Now several of the big drinking establishments and night clubs have been closed down, and the thousands who came down from London to rape, pillage, fight and vomit in the streets now are a problem on someone else's patch. It's tempting fate, but the murder rate seems to have dropped in the last year or so, too.

The 166 has been re-routed and it sometimes passes me on my regular training ride, to Fanny's Farm Shop, via Woodmansterne. The bus climbs up the hill to Woodmansterne, then drops down into Chipstead Valley (Rising Sun).

Regards,

Peter.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can i find the bloody rules?

This may help... http://www.spagthorpe.com/ If after reading this you are still confused other material is available, though some of it is obscure.

Might I add one word of caution. It was not so long ago asking the rules, especially at such a delicate moment in the game, meant flogging at 30 paces.

Alan

Alan

Think Fizzbin on this side of the pond. A great card game made popular in the Star Trek episode "A Piece of the Action". But we'd better not interrupt the game lest one of the more obscure rules of interference applies to the leader and penalizes him. Hope nobody invokes it. Sorry guys carry on. ;)

With appologies

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

King George V

Well, I'm confused, Chas. This might be a Royal move, but is it legal? :unsure: Can we have a ruling, please. And by the way, can Samantha please give us an update on the scoring, since I'm confused here, as well. :unsure:

Thanks.

Chris - we need a bit of tolerence towards our transatlantic cousins, so lets start Alan off a little easier.

Alan :

There isn't an defined set of rules, since its only really just a question of simple logic, but game masters - like concertina historians - often disagree on interpretation of the logic. Stovold did try to write a book on rules and variations in the 1880s, but that has been shown to have many flaws. Many of us don't agree with what is written on this site, but it will give you good intro and the simplified computer game simulation will get you up and running quite proficiently at beginner level after only 3 or 4 hours practice. Quote "This computer version has 36 place names, as opposed to the 26,000 or so in the full game". You don't need to be British, and many of the Americans here are proficient players.

Most of us have been playing since children, so it comes naturally.

Good luck .. wes

Here's what I wrote for last year's game:

The clue which might help you grasp what is, it has to be said, play of an impressively high order of skill and ability, is that Mornington Crescent is what is technically known as a nomic game, that is, the player is encouraged and expected to modify the rules while the game is actually being played. The references to to rules and variations are the mechanism by which this is done, and the player has to understand the consequences of the rule modifications before applying any modifications of their own. Failure to do so results in penalties, the mildest of which is Knip.The widespread playing of the game in England is probably behind the notable intellectual superiority of the English man and woman in all walks of life.I hope that helps.

Chris

One of our colonial cousins has just written the following to me.

I was just beginning to think it was another one of those Brit things that we Yanks just kind of ponder.

Well, of course I was able to set him straight on that score, but our Atlantic brethren might find this map will help them follow the detail of play:-

If you follow through from the Billingsgate area you should be able to see why I'm playing

Gants Hill

Chris

One of our colonial cousins has just written the following to me.
I was just beginning to think it was another one of those Brit things that we Yanks just kind of ponder.

Well, of course I was able to set him straight on that score, but our Atlantic brethren might find this map will help them follow the detail of play:-

If you follow through from the Billingsgate area you should be able to see why I'm playing

Gants Hill

Chris

Chris,

Very decent of you to provide this link. We must however beware of which version of the rules we are using and the rules of precedence. If my interpretation of the Waverley 1707 rules is correct, we may use ghost stations at this point.

I play "British Museum"

Precendence applies to extensions to the rules which are then termed the "new" rules or the "further" rules. Best illustrated, I feel, by the later Lloyd George Rules and the Mayfair Rules where the precedence is determined using the aide memoire "Lloyd George, New Mayfair, the Further New Lloyd George".

Howard

Gants Hill

Chris

Ah Chris you only get six tokens under the amended 1973 rules by employing the Hainought loop

Sort of locks you out of the game as well.

I'll throw in another from the 1700's Albait from a corsetier from Thetford. "The Reasoning of Man" Now he got away with a lot and was decidely before his time.

He didn't like them so I'll take him there.

Parsons Green

Chas

Very decent of you to provide this link. We must however beware of which version of the rules we are using and the rules of precedence. If my interpretation of the Waverley 1707 rules is correct, we may use ghost stations at this point.

I play "British Museum"

In case your imaginative interpretation requires investigation, I'll play:

Baker Street

However, from memory, you are playing under rule 221b.

Regards,

Peter.