Why No Action Here?

Marcus

Dunno. It is a beautiful concertina though. I'd be happy owning it.

My 0.02c guess is - 1) its not 100 years old; 2) it was made with accordian reeds not concertina reeds; 3) wait 10 seconds prior to auction closing - things may change ;)

Dan

Edited by McIsog

My 0.02c guess is - 1) its not 100 years old; 2) it was made with accordian reeds not concertina reeds; 3) wait 10 seconds prior to auction closing - things may change ;)

Dan

At $2000 starting bid it will not be sold. It's an Ebay, not NASA supply line.

At this money I can order new Edgley. And it's a C/G. D/G could have steered some interest.

You try to sell Castagnari accordoin on Ebay.

Dan

At $2000 starting bid it will not be sold. It's an Ebay, not NASA supply line.

At this money I can order new Edgley. And it's a C/G. D/G could have steered some interest.

You try to sell Castagnari accordoin on Ebay.

I disagree.

You could not buy this Edgley for 2K on order today from him. You would have to wait awhile for your order to be processed. This is a C/G so there is real merit in this instrument to a beginner who wants a playable concertina that is not a throwaway. And it comes complete with a well set case. Oh and the timing is perfect for the season.

Cheers,

Dan

At $2000 starting bid it will not be sold.

I disagree.

I said it will not be sold, it wasn't. So how can you disagree?

Waiting for the new Edgley is not such a terrible thing, compared to buying somebody's problems, used. Unless your Edgley broke and tonight is your performance. That's how I sold my Alain 8. To a person I met previously, in his 80es, who had several Castagnaris, needed one in my keys for performance and, considering his age, couldn't afford to wait around for 6 months. He was the only bidder, and I lost money. Like new, hand made reeds etc. It would be interesting to see if the reserve will be met on Squeezora's English Baritone. I'm looking for an instrument like this, but reserve probably around $1500-1800 is a bit too steep for early English with brass reeds and only 5 bellow folds on a baritone.

I may be wrong, if baritone Englishes are rare and popular, like top notch Anglos today.

Are they?

I disagree.

You could not buy this Edgley for 2K on order today from him. You would have to wait awhile for your order to be processed. This is a C/G so there is real merit in this instrument to a beginner who wants a playable concertina that is not a throwaway. And it comes complete with a well set case. Oh and the timing is perfect for the season.

Cheers,

Dan

I considered bidding on the Edgley, even emailing Frank to ask if he knew of it's history. I've been looking for an instrument to learn on and I wasn't crazy about the instant depreciation of a Stagi. The only reason I didn't end up bidding was a nicely discounted Stagi became available to me, one which I should be able to resell for a very small loss if/when I decide to upgrade to a hybrid.

john d

I considered bidding on the Edgley, even emailing Frank to ask if he knew of it's history. I've been looking for an instrument to learn on and I wasn't crazy about the instant depreciation of a Stagi. The only reason I didn't end up bidding was a nicely discounted Stagi became available to me, one which I should be able to resell for a very small loss if/when I decide to upgrade to a hybrid.

john d

Hmm.

I think, if you considered bidding, then you weren't put off by a price. In which case you shouldn't have thought about possibility of re-selling your Stagi, no matter how nicely discounted it was, and get this Edgley. You can email the seller and ask for, perhabs, a better deal. Sometimes it works. You can re-sell your Stagi right now, and be wa-ay better off with the Edgley. To my taste it's the best sounding Concertina to date.

If the seller is a good guy...

I watched it go. I wonder how many other's were watching. No doubt quite a few. The poor seller who can see how many are watching, probably thought it was going to be a feeding frenzy at the last second and then to get no bids.... bummer! If it was as new and untouched as he said, I would have thought it a very fair deal. Who knows?

Maybe if he had started with a very low starting bid but held a reserve at 2k he might have gotten it. I heard that the psychology of bidding works better in the seller's favor that way. I don't know because when I see 'reserve not met' I am always suspicious of a high selling price. I'd rather just know what the seller is asking so I don't waste my time.

Just my .02

That Edgley was indeed a very good value.

But imagine buying a used Scion off ebay at $13.999, when you can order it new for $14.999, with 2 months wait. That's the whole deal to it.

Old concertinas have already depreceated, but new have not. A seller wanted to sell used instrument for the price of new, he was clearly mistaken by the growing prices of vintage instruments.

As for psycology of a buyer/seller - it's another story, and it differs from item to item. When I saw a nice looking 4 voice black Hohner Club - I bought it right off. Interesting, one guy offered russian system 2 row on Ebay with "buy it now" and return option. I bought it, found that it was not fixed as promised, leaky, with sticking keys, and returned it. But the seller was moslty unhappy with me not because I returned it, but because I bought it right off. He thought I didn't let the price to go up. Go figure.

I'm wondering why the fact that this is a C/G should be a mark against it rather that a plus.

Simply because C/Gs are more common and D/Gs have less competition.

Seems like D/G has the vibe nowadays.

Not my experience at all. Someone was selling a good C/G here and a G/D from the same maker had 4 buyers for the C/G, and no buyer for the G/D. So it's really not true that G/D will sell more, alas. (I wish it did as I'ma G/C player).

I also watched it closely and was tempted to bid. I played one of Frank's instuments for two minutes before I'd really begun to learn to play. As it is, I don't need another c/g hybrid unless it was at a real bargain price, so I passed on it. I'm not sure what Frank is asking these days, but $2k was probably only a modest savings.

By setting the e-bay price at $2K, the seller identified his minimum asking price. If he had listed it with a $100 opener and a $2k reserve, it would have cost him a reserve fee if it didn't sell.

I have been playing my Edgley concertina for about two years and a half now and it has become my best friend through sometimes tough times :-) I'm posting here a clip of a few lovely waltzes I played on this concertina last night with a bunch of friends. Frank created my little baby and have to thank him for it :-)

Concertina clip

I'm wondering why the fact that this is a C/G should be a mark against it rather that a plus.

Simply because C/Gs are more common and D/Gs have less competition.

Seems like D/G has the vibe nowadays.

Not my experience at all. Someone was selling a good C/G here and a G/D from the same maker had 4 buyers for the C/G, and no buyer for the G/D. So it's really not true that G/D will sell more, alas. (I wish it did as I'ma G/C player).

I think the popularity of Irish music and the general tendency to use C/Gs for that have contributed to the greater demand for that tuning. A number of makers of new concertina-reeded instruments (ie Kensington, Thomas, Carroll) don't make G/Ds because the demand for them is less and the larger reeds require different tooling, reed sizes, and pan layout. You would think therefore that G/Ds would be more expensive given that they are relatively more difficult to come by, especially with concertina reeds (Edgley, Tedrow, and Morse and probably others will all happily make you a G/D box). And they often do require a premium - but the market works in funny ways. The person you reference may have had difficulty selling his instrument at the time, but I know that a few others were interested in the Groff-Lachenal I'm now fortunate enough to have. It's just that with a smaller group of players, you may need more patience and flexibility to sell when someone's in a position to buy.

You would think therefore that G/Ds would be more expensive given that they are relatively more difficult to come by, especially with concertina reeds (Edgley, Tedrow, and Morse and probably others will all happily make you a G/D box). And they often do require a premium
Our Morse concertinas are available in C/G, G/D, D/A, and Bb/F at the same price. We get the most orders for C/G and G/D being a close second.

-- Rich --