Why No Action Here?

Marcus

Going back to the original question, we have to consider the psychology of tthe auction buyer. Whether live or on line, a high opener will not attract bids. I've seen this at countless antiques auctions and on eBay.

In the case of the live show, the auctioneer who starts too high will begin to lower the opener until he has a bid, frequently knowing that the price will start going up once it has been established that someone wants the lot being offered.

This option is not available on eBay. And that's how I got my Lachenal. The seller wanted an opener of $1400, not an unreasonable price, but too high to start. I emailed him, expressed interest in the event it didn't sell. I knew it wouldn't with that high an openeng bid. A few days after the auction closed without a bid, he contacted me, we got together and arrived at a price. Nothing's really changed in the auction world -- Tom

Going back to the original question, we have to consider the psychology of tthe auction buyer. Whether live or on line, a high opener will not attract bids. I've seen this at countless antiques auctions and on eBay.

In the case of the live show, the auctioneer who starts too high will begin to lower the opener until he has a bid, frequently knowing that the price will start going up once it has been established that someone wants the lot being offered.

This option is not available on eBay. And that's how I got my Lachenal. The seller wanted an opener of $1400, not an unreasonable price, but too high to start. I emailed him, expressed interest in the event it didn't sell. I knew it wouldn't with that high an openeng bid. A few days after the auction closed without a bid, he contacted me, we got together and arrived at a price. Nothing's really changed in the auction world -- Tom

I've done that with other items as well. Be careful to stay off E-bays message service in the subsequent transaction, as they don't like losing the seller's fee.