Import Fees

Just a question to get that 'other' post down and off the Discussion forums page.

When an Yank buys a concertina from a Brit, what are the usual expected Import/Customs fees and what is the usual shipping rate from there to here? Is it different going the other way, from here to there?

Thanks

I just paid 25 pounds to ship a concertina from UK to the Northwest. There are no other fees that I'm aware of. I've never shipped anything the opposite direction.

In Canada there is no duty but you pay sales tax and provincial tax.

I suspect that there are taxes to be paid in the US. I'm not sure if duties apply on concertinas there though.

As a maker, I can say that there are no duties when I ship to the US, although UPS charges a $32 broker's fee, but no tax. If an individual were to send a concertina to the US, I'm not sure what the tax consequences are. If it is an antique concertina, I think there are no duties, but don't quote me to your "friendly" neighbourhood customs officer.

If an individual were to send a concertina to the US, I'm not sure what the tax consequences are. If it is an antique concertina, I think there are no duties, but don't quote me to your "friendly" neighbourhood customs officer.

I recently sold an anglo to someone in California. I didn't try and disguise the sale on the customs slip, and my buyer paid no tax when he got the concertina, though it did spend the best part of a week sitting in US customs clearance if its way to him. So much for 5 day global priority delivery!

I know that if you buy new from the US to the UK then you end up paying about 20% on top, which is why Morses are relatively expensive in the UK as compared with the US.

Chris

Interesting page 3 ................and similar keyboard instruments with free metal reeds:

http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/0612c92.pdf

Accordions and similar instruments, piano accordions=free. Other= 2.6%. I believe it is based on the "declared" value, but I'm not 100% sure. But that is what "IT" says. NAFTA, Trade Agreements and the like throw layer upon layer of complication into the situation, as does the UN Antiquities and National Treasure complications. Hopefully concertinas don't fall into that quagmire.

Generall antiques=no duty, but be careful of the note on age of 100 years:

http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/0612C97.pdf

Other directions from the US to other countries will have to use importing country rules and regulations. Once it gets into the US it goes to a place where it is held until the paperwork is read, and the item is inspected for contraband and smuggling. Who knows how long that could take. Useing a broker to ship like UPS or FEDEX is the easiest way to ship accross the border (into the States). The customs fee is included in their shipping prices. They've got a good handle on reality, and are experts. The US Postal service also acts as a broker for the US Customs Service with similar obligations.

A broker is just a middle man in the transaction, and may also be the shipper. Two separate but interconnected descriptions.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

If an individual were to send a concertina to the US, I'm not sure what the tax consequences are. If it is an antique concertina, I think there are no duties, but don't quote me to your "friendly" neighbourhood customs officer.

I recently sold an anglo to someone in California. I didn't try and disguise the sale on the customs slip, and my buyer paid no tax when he got the concertina, though it did spend the best part of a week sitting in US customs clearance if its way to him. So much for 5 day global priority delivery!

I know that if you buy new from the US to the UK then you end up paying about 20% on top, which is why Morses are relatively expensive in the UK as compared with the US.

Chris

California buyer here.

It arrived (in perfect condition) on a Sunday morning, delivered by a postal employee in uniform.

She wanted another fifty-nine bucks. Fortunately I'd been paid the night before for playing at a contra dance and I broke even.

My life is wierd, and becoming a concertina player has NOT made it any more normal.

Ken

"middle-aged Breeches-bobbler"

Edited by sidesqueeze

It arrived (in perfect condition) on a Sunday morning, delivered by a postal employee in uniform.

She wanted another fifty-nine bucks. Fortunately I'd been paid the night before for playing at a contra dance and I broke even.

Ah, my apologies. I forgot about that. I stand corrected. What was the justification for the $59?
My life is wierd, and becoming a concertina player has NOT made it any more normal.

Surely you never thought it would? :unsure:

Chris

Ah, my apologies. I forgot about that. I stand corrected. What was the justification for the $59?

Surely you never thought it would? :unsure:

Chris

Chris,

I never did figure out why the post office wanted more money. Perhaps it was a special Sunday Morning surcharge. I was too eager to start bobbling.

I never did figure out why the post office wanted more money. Perhaps it was a special Sunday Morning surcharge. I was too eager to start bobbling.

I don't normally like to quote other forums, but customs and duties in the States is extremely complicated. This discussion might shed some light. If inappropriate to quote another forum I appologise, but I think it will help:

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=113027

The Post Office, Fedex, UPS, and others are only "agents" and not tax collectors.

Thanks

Leo

And whaterver the actual rules and regulations might say, how they are applied seems to me to be a lottery on items imported from the USA to the UK. I've had to pay import duty on some and not on others.

My guess is that parcels that appear to from a business are more likely to be charged.

LEO: "The customs fee is included in their shipping prices."

FRANK: I ship to the US all the time and it isn't normally included. However, it may be if sent other than "ground."

Absolutely correct Frank. I agree 100%. That's part of the quagmire in trying to sort out NAFTA exclusions that shipping between Canada/US/and Mexico that I referred to in addition to customs rules and regulations. One or all may apply. It adds to the confusion. Never mind if it stops in a "Free Trade Zone". It's a law engraved in water. Air could be different than ground or boat, or rail; may be more, may be less. Maybe, unless, today, etc. It's a mess, and exremely complicated.

I think the easiest way to explain it is US/UK may be different than UK/US. CA/US may be different than US/CA. Neither country is the same, and niether direction is the same, but they might be. Thanks for expanding.

Each country has a different treaty, and treated on a case by case basis without the ability to paint "the big picture" that applies to everyone. There is none. While not exactly a law reference, here is an outline from UPS. Put in originating country, and destination country. It's worth a look and help explain the differences for US imports and exports:

http://www.ups.com/ga/CountryRegs?loc=en_U...p;WT.svl=SubNav

Here is their "advertised "brokerage fees. This is not the tax. It's their fee for services:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources...stoms/fees.html

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Hi,

I was told by someone who imports a lot of concertinas from the USA to the UK that if you send the package by surface mail customs import duties are very rarely applied. Seems the port customs lads are not so hot on applying the rules.

The downside of course is that you do not need to be in a hurry to get it. I imported a concertina which they said would take 3-4 weeks and it was nearer 2 months - but was duty free :) ......... I had almost given up on it but my stomach cramps, ulcer and hypertension miraculously disappeared as soon as it arrived. :lol:

Dave

Hi,

I was told by someone who imports a lot of concertinas from the USA to the UK that if you send the package by surface mail customs import duties are very rarely applied. Seems the port customs lads are not so hot on applying the rules.

Dave

Interesting! A little off topic, but just the opposite to Australia, Dave.

GST (VAT equivalent) and any duty is collected here by the postal authority on behalf of the Tax Dept. The (unofficial) attitude of Australia Post employees I understand to be that if an item is sent airmail then the sender's intention is for prompt delivery, so unless there is some suspicion or good reason to hold things up for tax processing they don't seem to bother. However, an item sent surface mail is not considered urgent and if it sits in bond for a few more weeks, well, who cares about any delay.

Certainly my experience bears this out in that every single surface item I have ever received from overseas has been taxed, while this has not been the case for most airmail items.

MC

Hi,

Dave

GST (VAT equivalent) and any duty is collected here by the postal authority on behalf of the Tax Dept. The (unofficial) attitude of Australia Post employees I understand to be that if an item is sent airmail then the sender's intention is for prompt delivery, so unless there is some suspicion or good reason to hold things up for tax processing they don't seem to bother. However, an item sent surface mail is not considered urgent and if it sits in bond for a few more weeks, well, who cares about any delay.

Certainly my experience bears this out in that every single surface item I have ever received from overseas has been taxed, while this has not been the case for most airmail items.

MC

Hi,

Dave

MC

Not too surprised things are back to front Malc ......... in the land where you all hang upside down clinging on by your toes :lol:

Dave

A word of caution regarding Customs duties.

I bought a concertina from the UK last year and hand carried it back to Canada. As Paul said I was charged the GST/PST (sales tax 15%), however, I was also charged 7% import duty.

I think you may be able to get zero import duty but you have to know which product category to classify your purchase.

The Customs agent classified my concertina as "Musical instrument" not unreasonable I thought but maybe there was a better classification which would have been zero duty. Any ideas?