You Tube Concertina

As for Earl Grey tea....hmm. Maybe you have a better brand. I don't care for what I've managed to find of it around here! But, I have lots of other teas, which I do need to use up....dialup is a sure solution for that, hehe.

Earl grey is OK, but it's flavored (with bergamot), not just plain tea leaves. I like it occasionally, but I get pretty tired of it here in Denmark, where almost nobody serves anything else to their guests.

And there certainly are differences among teas of the "same" blend under different brand names.

I hate to go back to DSL or cable because the price jump is way too much, considering what we get for it (...not meant to be a comment re your video!), in my opinion. It seems backwards, to me.

It is backwards.

The DSL technology makes is cheaper to provide than ordinary analog dialup. Here in Denmark there are a few phone companies, but all charge a fixed monthly rate for DSL. That's up to a certain amount of usage, but I've never come close to that limit. (Maybe I'd come close if I spent 16 hours/day just downloading videos?) I don't have to remeber to disconnect, because keeping connected 24/7 costs the same as 10 min/day. And my bill is less than half what it was when I averaged half an hour or less per day on dialup.

Maybe it's some US government regualtory mumbo-jumbo that forces the the companies to charge too little for dialup, yet lets them get away with overcharging for "new" technologies? Like with cell phones (what we here call "mobile"). In America, the recipient of a call pays a charge, not just the caller, yes? But you have to answer the call -- and get charged for it -- in order to find out whether you want to reject it. Over here, only the calleer pay, just as with a non-cellular call. Why should the two techologies have different billing protocols? (Answer: lobbyists.)

But I need to figure out what to get since she has an Apple iBook and doesn't use windows, and I have a Toshiba and use Windows. We have a DSL offer but it's just for Windows, I think.

That sounds completely wrong. DSL shouldn't care or even be able to tell what sort of computer you're using. At worst, the phone company might have some setup software that only runs on a PC, but if that's the case you would use the PC to do the setup, and once it's done you should be able to connect a Mac or anything else to the line.

Because I have more than one computer, I connect them all through a network router, so the DSL isn't even connected to (or "talking" to) any of the computers directly, only to the router. The router decides which transmissions from the phone line get passed on to which computer, and funnels all the computers' transmissions into the one phone line, each appropriately "labelled" for delivery to the correct party at the opposite end.

RE the DSL, what confused me is that an Apple ibook apparently can't use the browser that comes with, for example, Yahoo!Verizon DSL. But, yes, the connection would work. And, we'd probably want a router.

Re the cell phones...mobiles....I've had to learn a lot about what's available, having had a daughter I wished to 'track' sometimes (not always to her joy). Briefly, my recommendation is to make the initial investment of a GSM triband phone, then use SIM cards. I use TMobile prepaid, and it's been the most affordable. Also, I can just switch SIM cards if I need to -- i.e., for international use.

But, for various reasons, my daughter has had regular wireless 'real' service for a few years -- and that's kinda pricey. It costs more than our home phone (landline).

Anyway....re You Tube and all the rest -- I determined to make some kind of change around here so I can watch the concertina videos!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like with cell phones (what we here call "mobile"). In America, the recipient of a call pays a charge, not just the caller, yes? But you have to answer the call -- and get charged for it -- in order to find out whether you want to reject it. Over here, only the calleer pay, just as with a non-cellular call. Why should the two techologies have different billing protocols? (Answer: lobbyists.)
At least one carrier (the one I use, US Cellular) has unlimited incoming calls, text & picture messages. They're an upstart and don't have a broad geographic coverage yet, but they're giving the big ones (T Mobile & Verizon) a run for their money in the markets they do cover. I think eventually economic pressure will force all carriers here to do as they do in Europe.

To get this thread back on topic, here's a nifty old video of a concertina factory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCax6jonno

Theodore

Thanks. I think it's a must see for anybody. I wish it ran longer. Appreciate your effort finding it. In anticipation, did you hopefully suggest RatFace put it in his Group page so we can find it easily again?

Leo

Edited by Leo

Factory one is really interesting.

Also this appeared yesterday (well, day before):

Hi Danny,

Yes, it's good to see the short clips. Interesting that the one on Noel Hill dates from 1994; about what I would have guessed, judging from the colour of his beard!

Regards,

Peter.

I added two more short clips of me playing

and

The sound quality isn't great as I was lazy and just used the camera mic. However, the second clip contains proof that the 3-finger triplet works :)

Edited by RatFace

Well, it doesn't have any concertinas and I didn't play any of the music, but I just finished editing this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStKSnXvVo8

I make some brief cameos too. So do my feet :D

I was actually able to play this one, since now we have DSL (again), at least on my husband's computer! Yay! I played a few other videos, too.

This was interesting...nicely done. I like the idea of poetry sung to music. Were the words first poetry alone, written, then all the rest was added?

Well, it doesn't have any concertinas and I didn't play any of the music, but I just finished editing this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStKSnXvVo8

I make some brief cameos too. So do my feet :D

I was actually able to play this one, since now we have DSL (again), at least on my husband's computer! Yay! I played a few other videos, too.

This was interesting...nicely done. I like the idea of poetry sung to music. Were the words first poetry alone, written, then all the rest was added?

Is this another glitch on my part? You like the 'idea' of poetry sung to music? Isn't a song - a poetry sung to music? Or in modern culture songs consist of "lyrics", that are not supposed to be a poetry?

Or at least add to the music, together creating a feeling of poetry?

Is this another glitch on my part? You like the 'idea' of poetry sung to music? Isn't a song - a poetry sung to music? Or in modern culture songs consist of "lyrics", that are not supposed to be a poetry?

Or at least add to the music, together creating a feeling of poetry?

It's late for me to be still awake and trying to answer, but I had extra things I had to get done....anyway, shall be brief at least for now!

I think that it's okay to call the finished product, in this case, a 'song,' but if I were to read or hear the words alone, I'd probably call it poetry.

I think that there are 1) song lyrics 2) poetry and 3) creations that are both.

But...it's WAY past my bedtime now so I'll maybe say more later, when I can think more. (Presently cleaning a rabbit cage, here, too! That's why I've escaped to the internet!)

Were the words first poetry alone, written, then all the rest was added?
I'll have to verify, but I believe the music was created first in this case. I'm not sure if the lyrics/poetry were written specifically to go with the music or if they just happened to fit.

The vacation footage from Southern Illinois (the green parts) and Central Texas (the grey parts) predates the song alogether, but the footage in Arizona (the red parts) was made after the song was recorded and released.

I'm currently working on videos for "Hello from Illinois" and "The Beat" from the same album, Messages from the Ionosphere.