Concertina International - Fantasy Version

In an attempt to lighten Alan Day's load on the ever increasing International albums, here's one which should require minimal work.

We might, eventually, need a POLL (not had one for a while) to select our favourite 20 tracks, but I'll start off with this offering:

William Kimber playing "Arrival of the Queen of Sheba", on English concertina, complete with chords.

In that case I'll go for Father Kenneth Loveless singing "Whisky Johnny", accompanied on the same anglo.

Whiskey is the life of man

Whiskey, Johnny!

I'll drink whiskey while I can

Whiskey for my Johnny!

I can hear it now!

Chris

I want to hear John Kirkpatrick and Noel Hill playing togther, trying to outdo each other with ornaments.

And wouldn't it have been great to hear William Kimber playing some ragtime?.

For me, the "Chriss-ee-mass Day in the morn" line of The Holly & The Ivy was always the song I remember Ken Loveless by.

I want to hear John Kirkpatrick and Noel Hill playing togther, trying to outdo each other with ornaments.

I enjoyed Alistair Anderson and Niall Vallely playing together at the Tønder Folk Festival a few years back. They didn't treat it as a competition, for which I'm glad.

A number of Alistair's old numbers that I've never seen on recordings come to mind. Since he's still very much alive, it's possible that they could become something more than virtual. One I can name is Scott Joplin's "Strenuous Life" on a tenor-treble.

• 3 months later...
A number of Alistair's old numbers that I've never seen on recordings come to mind. Since he's still very much alive, it's possible that they could become something more than virtual. One I can name is Scott Joplin's "Strenuous Life" on a tenor-treble.

Here it is from a LP I recently found used for $4. It's called "Traditional Tunes" from Front Hall records, recorded in 1975: The Strenuous Life.

Edited by Boney

Here it is from a LP I recently found used for $4. It's called "Traditional Tunes" from Front Hall records, recorded in 1975: The Strenuous Life.

Tried it with two different browsers. Same result:

404 Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

The is a suprious %20 on the end.

Try http://concertina.jeffleff.com/audio/strenuous.mp3

Edited by Lester Bailey

There are many great cuts I enjoy very much on David Townsend's Portrait of a Concertina (As Time Goes By, Benetev a Trevito, Wuite in E Minor... come to mind). Unfortunately this album is "out of print." David would very much like to re-release it but SayDisk has the "rights" to it and has deemed it not profitable enough though they'd consider it if someone would place a minimum order of 500 copies....

There are many great cuts I enjoy very much on David Townsend's Portrait of a Concertina (As Time Goes By, Benetev a Trevito, Wuite in E Minor... come to mind). Unfortunately this album is "out of print." David would very much like to re-release it but SayDisk has the "rights" to it and has deemed it not profitable enough though they'd consider it if someone would place a minimum order of 500 copies....

I have a wonderful recording of Dave playing "Fly me to the Moon" ,absolutely fantastic

and an archive of "The Blades" well worth waiting for.

Al

In an attempt to lighten Alan Day's load on the ever increasing International albums, here's one which should require minimal work.

We might, eventually, need a POLL (not had one for a while) to select our favourite 20 tracks

If only - all the tape recordings made at events/concerts/sessions were of good enough sound quality to be reproduced. There are lots of good players and good individual pieces from solos/duos/ensembles which were never captured on professional standard recording equipment.

- John Wild