40 Key Crabb Scam

malcolm clapp

Here we go again!!!

Chris Algar bought this from Vic227 in Brisbane barely a month ago. Same description, photos and number.

Not very inventive or subtle this time... :P

I have not as yet reported it to eBay as I'm waiting to hear back from my email to Chris, just in case he has already sold it on and the new owner has it up for sale, but it certainly looks doubtful to me.

MC

Edited by malcolm clapp

I just emailed the seller asking if the concertina was in concert pitch. I'll report results, if any.
I did get a response in the affirmative with a request to email him if I was really interested.

I doubt that this was the individual's first attempt to scam with a concertina. Probably he has received enough questions on previous scams -- or simply learned from reading the texts he steals -- that he knows that being "in concert pitch" is a positive selling point. It would have been interesting to see whether you would have gotten a "positive" response if you had asked whether it had a "gimballed reed pan". :ph34r: Maybe "amboyna reed pan" would be better, since both "amboyna" and "reed pan" often appear in the legitimate ads, with "amboyna" clearly being a positive attribute, though it might take someone who really knows about concertinas to know that amboyna is never used for reed pans.

Of course, by now the scammer probably knows about us here on C.net, checks regularly to see which scams we've caught, and maybe even has learned enough from us to avoid displaying total ignorance in answering questions. B)

The "seller" replied to me that my cousin cna't test the box, since he is now in Middlesbrough,UK. He has offered to split the shipping cost with me, making my half be a measily $60 USD. That seems a bit high also. But he assured me I'll "have a inspection period when you can check the concentrina." Does the spelling of concertina look familiar? I think we might have the same scammer we were watching a few days ago!

He also told me to email if I'm really interested. Anybody out there form near Middlesbrough who'd like to offer to try this concentrina (sic) out?

He also told me to email if I'm really interested. Anybody out there form near Middlesbrough who'd like to offer to try this concentrina (sic) out?

I'm not far from Middlesborough, if i can help!

Theo