Scambusters

Paul Read

They are getting more sophisticated. No longer using Indonesian addresses, and now boasting positive feedback.

(Well, 1 is a start!)

Do you think they are low ranking military? Everything begins with private....

Beware. Take care.

Greg

are you guys sure this is a scam? the evidence doesn't seem that conclusive to me, and it seems like this kind of accusation should be backed up by a little more than the fact that this instrument was sold to someone else recently. people do spend more they can afford on concertinas and sell them shortly afterward. it says the seller is in colorado. has anyone in the area tried contacting the seller to see the instrument?

Yes it sold for $4,6000 on the 7th of November, but not to the guy who is offering it now.

Chris,

You have a point in that no one should sabotage a legitimate auction. But most of the indications are not good:

private bidder ID

little or no feedback

recently registered as a seller

No provenance (history of having bought this concertina)

We are talking about danger signals. If you think it is worth risking money on a bid, I can't stop you. If you become the proud owner of a Jeffries at a great price I will certainly salute you. (But I wouldn't do it, and I love Jeffries concertinas!

Greg

PS. While everyone on this forum would love to get a Jeffries at a good price I think nearly everyone on this forum would try to protect each other from a bad business deal in which one of us would lose our hard won concertina money. It's a concertina community thing.

Chris, it isn't just that it was sold to someone else recently. The wording is very specific about him having two concertinas, one in Ireland one at home. I remember it from the last time. If it is the guy who bought it, why has he left the wording unchanged? It also has exactly the same photos. I don't think there is any question about this one. I think if one is convinced it's a scam, it should be raised.

Edited by Paul Read

are you guys sure this is a scam? the evidence doesn't seem that conclusive to me, and it seems like this kind of accusation should be backed up by a little more than the fact that this instrument was sold to someone else recently.
You have a point in that no one should sabotage a legitimate auction. But most of the indications are not good:

private bidder ID

little or no feedback

recently registered as a seller

No provenance (history of having bought this concertina)

We are talking about danger signals.

OK, try this for circumstantial evidence of a scam:

... The current "seller" is not the Nov. 7 purchaser, who is a Concertina.net member living in Japan! Sold from New Hampshire (USA) to Japan and back to Colorado (USA, again) in less than a month, including payment and shipping delays? I don't think so. Especially since the hypothetical resale didn't appear on eBay.

... Though the current "seller" isn't the Nov. 7 buyer (nor the Nov. 7 seller) and didn't purchase the instrument on eBay, (s)he is using not only the photos taken from the Nov. eBay auction, but also the same descriptive text, including the claims, "I have been playing for about fifteen years. Noel Hill was my first teacher and I play regularly with Francis Droney," and "...I am playing flute most of the time...." And yet the current "seller" has taken the trouble to edit out some parts of the original text, including a link to Concertina.net. So even if this were a real sale of a real instrument, the description and pictures are stolen, and the description contains lies (since they don't apply to this "seller").

... Not someone I would want to trust.

Previous item number 7364438139 (as Peter Dickie mentioned).

Seller: budapestquartet

Buyer: wakasaobama

Seller noted that he had a thread on this site re. 27 button concertinas as below:-http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=490&hl

I have also e-mailed the new 'seller' asking him to put the box on the scales and weigh it.

Dear C.net members

The 27 key is now in Japan. (Now transacting)

Out of Foreign Customs, December 05, 2005, 6:00 pm

International Dispatch, December 01, 2005, 9:31 pm, KENNEDY AMC

Enroute, December 01, 2005, 11:50 am, JAMAICA, NY 11499

Enroute, November 30, 2005, 12:26 pm, MANCHESTER, NH 03103

Acceptance, November 30, 2005, 10:35 am, CONCORD, NH 03301

She like travel around the world. :D

wakasaobama

Dear C.net members

The 27 key is now in Japan. (Now transacting)

Out of Foreign Customs, December 05, 2005, 6:00 pm

International Dispatch, December 01, 2005, 9:31 pm, KENNEDY AMC

Enroute, December 01, 2005, 11:50 am, JAMAICA, NY 11499

Enroute, November 30, 2005, 12:26 pm, MANCHESTER, NH 03103

Acceptance, November 30, 2005, 10:35 am, CONCORD, NH 03301

She like travel around the world. :D

wakasaobama

well that looks like conclusive proof that the e-bay auction is a scam. e-bay still hasn't taken down the auction, and there are still no bids.

are you still going to play your midi concertina now that you have a jeffries?

are you still going to play your midi concertina now that you have a jeffries?

Midi concertina is useful for silent training.

I have jeffries anglo and 51 key Duet.

Last week I met internet-friends for first time.

PIO has Dipper.

http://homepage1.nifty.com/pio/index.htm

Yoneyama plays C/G melodeon. (He play about 30 years.)

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood-Stage/8883/

I really enjoy to meet them. (They lives in Tokyo) :)

In Japan few peoples play real (vintage) concertina.

wakasaobama

Edited by wakasaobama

Definitely a scam. I am the original seller. I am in Ireland now. The buyer is in Japan and is happy with the concertina. I am now going to bid $3,000,000 to effectively stop the auction. I hope everyone understands. I am sacrificing a potential negative feedback in the interests of justice. Now on to stopping the war in Iraq!