R Carr Anglo

John Dipper

2 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

Did it start life as an Anglo or is it a converted Jeffries Duet?

I would seriously wonder, but conversion of Jeffries Anglos to Duets was rife at one time (my late friend Jim Harvey told me he got his 4-row Anglo converted by Jeffries' themselves, and I've two 39-key Anglos here at the moment that got keys added and converted to duets), and vice-versa, especially in more recent times.

What intrigues me about this one is that it's octagonal.

I own and play a 48 key R.Carr Anglo.I was told by Tommy Williams in the 1970's that Carr worked for Jefferies and "acquired" parts for his own use,including reeds!Tommy also said he "acquired" parts from Lachenals.This information is born out by my concertina which appears to have a mix of Jefferies and Lachenal reeds and Jefferies rivetted and Lachenal hook action levers.I will try to post a photograph of the instrument.

At 62 buttons I'm guessing it is probably not an Anglo, since 62 is a fairly common number of buttons for the larger Jeffries Duets.

Would be good if someone could get over there for a preview and a quick squeeze.

The auction houses don't always have the best or most accurate descriptions!

Gary

Edited by gcoover

Just to confirm it is an Anglo Bb/F appears to be in old pitch. Surprisingly light for the amount of buttons. Requires a fair bit of work I would think.