Wanted: Used Edgley C/G concertina

Regina

Wanted:  Edgley 30 button C/G concertina with wheatstone layout, preferably in the $2,000 or less  range.  I have been playing a Wren concertina for a year.  I recently played a friend's

Edgley and I was impressed with the excellent tone and ease of moving the bellows compared to the Wren.  I realize it is time for me to move up to a better instrument, preferably an Edgley.  However, the cost of a new instrument is more than my budget will allow so I'm hoping to find a used one.  

Edited by Regina

• Regina changed the title to Wanted: Used Edgley C/G concertina

I think I need to do some research before making a decision about switching from a Wheatstone to a Jeffries layout.  I could get used to the different button configuration on the right side and the extra C#'s might come in handy.  I play mostly with small groups consisting of mountain dulcimers, with a few guitars, flutes, a mandolin and an occasional fiddle.  We play most tunes in the key of D, with some in G, A, and Em.  I don't need a very loud instrument as I don't want to drown out the dulcimers.

I have seen some posts that mention that the reed pan is constructed differently on the Jeffries vs. the the Wheatstone and I am not sure how that would impact the tone or the durability of the instruments.  Any advice or feedback from other concertina players would be appreciated.

On 1/18/2024 at 7:29 AM, Leah Velleman said:

Are you looking for a hybrid (with accordion reeds) or his Heritage model (with concertina reeds)?

Leah, I am interested in the Heritage model, with Jeffries layout.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:35 PM, Regina said:

I think I need to do some research before making a decision about switching from a Wheatstone to a Jeffries layout.  I could get used to the different button configuration on the right side and the extra C#'s might come in handy.  I play mostly with small groups consisting of mountain dulcimers, with a few guitars, flutes, a mandolin and an occasional fiddle.  We play most tunes in the key of D, with some in G, A, and Em.  I don't need a very loud instrument as I don't want to drown out the dulcimers.

I have seen some posts that mention that the reed pan is constructed differently on the Jeffries vs. the the Wheatstone and I am not sure how that would impact the tone or the durability of the instruments.  Any advice or feedback from other concertina players would be appreciated.

I switched from one layout to the other.  I had to re-learn some tunes, of course, mostly those I played in D/Bm.  One option might be to ask Frank to send you a reed pair to trade the first finger pair to play C# on push and pull.  This will delete the push D#.  

Yeah, just to confirm, the Edgley hybrid I have is in the Jeffries layout, but the tone and volume are pretty ordinary -- it sounds nice and responds well, but it's no louder than other hybrids I've played, and definitely doesn't have a more aggressive tone.

I have instruments in both Jeffries and Wheatstone layout, including an Edgley in both styles.

Personally, I don't think it's that difficult to switch between them, at least for traditional Irish style playing.

I essentially use the same Jeffries-related fingerings on both as far as the C#, just hit a different button with my middle finger and rework tunes to avoid draw C#s when playing the Wheatstone style instruments.

Thank you all for the helpful input.  Leah, can you give me some more information about your concertina?  Age?  Wooden or metal end grills?  If wood, what kind of wood/finish?  How much are you asking for the instrument?

Here are some pics -- happy to take more, inside or out, if there are specific things you'd like to see.

1.thumb.jpeg.e7659efdd7050a945355a210d42f23ec.jpeg2.thumb.jpeg.8efb4f2f705499fbf7da3a1e81907251.jpeg3.thumb.jpeg.0ce1ed95aca90f6e7123db9119d59c7c.jpeg4.thumb.jpg.0065f3f752e20b2d6b639eec9b1aec22.jpg

I don't have an exact date on it: I'm the second owner, and I don't believe the woman I bought it from ever told me when it was made. I imagine if you asked Frank Edgley and gave him the serial number (529) he might be able to tell you.

The first owner tells me she played it regularly for a while, then left it stored it in its case, and the condition I got it in is consistent with that — nice supple bellows, valves all working right instead of curling up, no scratches, no mechanical problems. It had a bit of lint in one of the reeds when I first got it. Otherwise it's given me no trouble, and I've owned it and played it for about a year.

It was originally $3400, I bought it for $2800, and I'd like to get $2500 for it. 

13 hours ago, Regina said:

Thanks for the photos, Leah.  It's a nice looking instrument but I'm going to have to wait until I see a used Edgley for sale closer to $2000.

Totally reasonable. Thanks for taking a look.

• 1 month later...