Big list of Anglo layouts

37 minutes ago, Luke Hillman said:

Indeed- part of the issue is (and this is partially due to my hobbyist-level programming skill) that I haven't figured out a way of detecting which tuning a user-defined layout is in. It would be easy enough if I could always tell which buttons were the core 20, but on some non-standard layouts that's actually kind of difficult. As a simple way to address this in the near term, would it be less bothersome if all notes used the sharp spelling by default?

Thank you! Adding it to the main list :)

Pretty fine level programming skills if you ask me.

There seem to be more layouts with sharps than flats but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

I should have thought to mention that sadly the Jeffries doesn't belong to me (sob) but was loaned by a friend. I'm happy to have been able to so perhaps just refer to it as "Aus Jeffries etc but agian no big deal :) )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luke Hillman said:

Indeed- part of the issue is (and this is partially due to my hobbyist-level programming skill) that I haven't figured out a way of detecting which tuning a user-defined layout is in. It would be easy enough if I could always tell which buttons were the core 20, but on some non-standard layouts that's actually kind of difficult. As a simple way to address this in the near term, would it be less bothersome if all notes used the sharp spelling by default?

Personally, I like showing Bb as Bb rather than A#. I'm a lot more likely to play in F or Bb than B, and that's on a G/D concertina. Of course, I can get along with whatever.

If you want to call and kick ideas around some time, I'm always up for it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Leah Velleman said:

I like the "1-19 buttons" header now that you've reorganized the post. Anyone ever built a 1-button anglo?

Pretty sure there are some squeaky toys at my local pet store that basically fit the description!

• Haha 1

Looking at the layouts reminds me of one of the issues complicating the provision of alternative direction notes.  As an example, lets say you want to push through the left hand phrase DEFG. If you decide to create a push F button to enable this, then it cannot be in a place where it demands the use of either of the fingers needed to play the E or the G. 

In the past I have retuned at different times both the D#3 and the Low A#, both draw notes, to E, and found the fingerwork involved in using the new note ridiculously tricky.  This is one reason why all of the alternate notes in my layout use fingers which are less likely to be needed at the time. The most obvious of these is the low F# which uses the second finger on the right. 

The other reason, not an inconsiderable one, is that I am putting this layout into a relatively small concertina which means there might just be room for one reed on the left but it would be severely compromised. On the right however, where the reeds are considerably smaller, there is plenty of room for the two extra buttons and the slightly larger reeds of the reversals (slightly larger than the reeds which usually would be in those positions). 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Leah Velleman said:

I like the "1-19 buttons" header now that you've reorganized the post. Anyone ever built a 1-button anglo?

And that one button is the air button ?😄

PS: I know that th air button is not normally included in the count.

Edited by Clive Thorne
  • Like 1

Here is my 31 button GD Jeffries layout. The only differences from the 30 button GD Jeffries in the original list are the push C6 on the RH 1st row 5th button, the push E5 on the RH 3rd row 5th button, and the push C4 and draw G3 on the LH "drone" button. 

I have the same layout except for the drone button on my GD Morse Ceili. I have been tempted to ask Bob Snipe to add a drone button to the Morse. The C reversal on the Jeffries is very useful. 

https://anglopiano.com/?_30_CceFghkjKL_50_nmmnQpsRqT._15_AddfGHIijk_80_MlONpoSqUr.feHJjklMNO_110_pPrqTSvUuV._270_iG&title=My Jeffries GD 31

• Thanks 1

Hello Luke,

To add to the list of "non-anglo" layouts, I just transcribed the Chemnitzer !

https://anglopiano.com/?_90_dBbGiEDLfh._60_AdGHIijkLc9A._30_BeegHIJjklhfgF_150_LjoRlMMlONpoSqRuuw._60_8CklmNIKFJcD_160_jLmkknNmPOqpTrVstUXx._600_JiQRrPnQsKUTwVvvWt&title=Chemnitzer

Edited by david fabre
  • Like 1

... and here is the Carlsfelder, another relative of the bandoneon and Chemnitzer. 

https://anglopiano.com/?_30_dcAdGHIijkLK.DCBeegHIJjklhf_160_JjlsRnMlONpoSqtx._30_CEfhlFmNOPMMKL_160_LkkMNmPOqpTrVsmU._640_ntQPrQsRUTwuvvoV&title=Carlsfelder

For both my source has been here.

http://www.korbo.com/piedcrow/diagramindex.htm

I have a few doubts about the numbering of the octaves. Maybe some experts on this forum will be able to check.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

First message, but I've been lurking for a bit!

Thanks Luke for pointing out this thread by e-mail a couple of weeks ago. I'd like to add this bit of information, which I struggled to find anywhere else, and I think can be interesting:

The Irish Concertina Company has a variation on the most common Jeffries layout, they're swapping the two C#/D# buttons. I've been in touch with Sean Garvey, and here's the layout he sent me. I'll add that they're able to customize the layout if needed; I'll be ordering a Clare soon, with the most common Jeffries layout instead of the usual ICC layout.

Cheers!

CLARE LAYOUT 2022.jpg