Pittards of Yeovil now closed

I have just found out that Pittards of Yeovil went into aministration in September and the business is now closed.

Very disappointing news as I sourced all my bellows leather from the company and found them very helpful.

Rod

Oh b*gger. That's where i got my leather skins. Damn.  However, Russells in Suffolk supply bellows leather to organ makers so perhaps that is another source.

Good job i bought my lovely handmade gloves from Pittards last year.

• 5 weeks later...

Pittards closing down has caused me a big problem. For many years I bought leather for valves, pads and thumb straps from them, I had a good relationship with them and always got exactly what I needed. The leather I got from them for valves had just the right softness and amount of spring back to make excellent valves, a lot of the leather I have had from other suppliers has been far too floppy. Years ago, I used to buy leather from Bevingtons, a division of Miltons of Leicester, but they have gone too. Now I am having to search the net for suppliers of suitable leather. and getting them to send lots of samples.

Russells are good for some things, but I haven't had suitable valve leather from them.

7 hours ago, Nigel D Sture said:

Pittards closing down has caused me a big problem. For many years I bought leather for valves, pads and thumb straps from them, I had a good relationship with them and always got exactly what I needed. The leather I got from them for valves had just the right softness and amount of spring back to make excellent valves, a lot of the leather I have had from other suppliers has been far too floppy. Years ago, I used to buy leather from Bevingtons, a division of Miltons of Leicester, but they have gone too. Now I am having to search the net for suppliers of suitable leather. and getting them to send lots of samples.

Russells are good for some things, but I haven't had suitable valve leather from them.

Please let us know if you find a good source.

It would definitely be worth contacting Identity Leathercraft (https://identityleathercraft.com/) in Matlock and discussing exactly what is needed. They source and stock a wide range of leathers. Importantly, one of the founders, Dr. Peter Laight was Tech Director at Pittards for about 25 years and has very wide knowledge of all things leather. 

• Like 1