Cheffin's, Cambridge Auction: Jeffries?

lea nicholson

This is definitely a Jeffries, as described.

edited to add... read description again and now I see they said something about Lachenal so, my bad. At first whiff, it appears to be Jeffries. That's all I should have said.

Edited by John Sylte

Whilst the bellows decoration may suggest Crabb or Jeffries, gilders and patterned paper suppliers were readily available.

Some things I have noticed, however, that may suggest it is not a Crabb/Jeffries built instrument of the claimed period .

End box sides seem to be Mahogany (possibly blacked at some time).

Normally Veneered with dyed Pear wood and French polished. Crabb/Jeffries

Inserts in end box top sides for strap thumb screw fixings.

Normally screwed straight into the wood , no inserts. Crabb/Jeffries

Edge crimp (bevel) to metal top, wider than expected.

Hard to see if fretwork is as expected but the existence of an open cartouche in the fretwork suggests that it originally had a paper label beneath.

Crabb had a solid oval cartouche. Crabb built Jeffries normally had no cartouche.

The box dimensions given do not suggest the size of the instrument. ???

It must also be remembered that Charles Jeffries Sen. also had some instruments made by makers other than Crabb.

Geoff.

Edited by Geoffrey Crabb
Ignore Red underlined entry. Enlarged site picture #5 shows no inserts.
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, wunks said:

Is small size ( across the flats ) an indication as to the maker?  I have a 6" set of 44 button edge beveled T. Shakespeare ends ( bird motif )

Most English-made concertinas (and especially Wheatstone and Lachenal ones) are 6 1/4" across the flats, whilst Jeffries (and similar makes) are 6" or less.

• Like 1

40 buttons would be unique among Jeffries instruments, but normal on a Lachenal or Wheatstone. Whilst it would have been normal for Jeffries or Crabb to include the wind-key in the button count, but not for Lachenal or Wheatstone.

But sellers often miscount the number...

Edited by Stephen Chambers
  • Like 1

Thanks Alex for info re: more pictures.

A couple more observations.

Picture 5 shows no insert, thumb fixing direct in wood. However, it also shows the end box is two piece (split) and there is evidence of a fixed spacer  next to the joint. This suggests that the instrument was originally wood ended and converted to metal. The spacer is necessary to make up for the reduced thickness of the metal top thus retaining the original button height  above the top. Whether this conversion was done, along with a bellows change, by Crabb or others ???

Unfortunately no picture of the left side but the button arrangement of the right seems alien to me. Perhaps Stephen will comment.

Geoff

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

40 buttons would be unique among Jeffries instruments, but normal on a Lachenal or Wheatstone. Whilst it would have been normal for Jeffries/Crabb to include the wind-key in the button count, but not for Lachenal or Wheatstone.

But sellers often miscount the number...

Now that I see there are more photos, it looks like the fingering layout is similar to a 39-key Jeffries or Crabb, except that there's an extra button above both the C-row and the G-row (a whistle and squeaker perhaps?) on the right-hand side - so it does have 40 playing buttons (only not in the Lachenal/Wheatstone layout), plus the wind-key.

But the fretwork looks reminiscent of Lachenal.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Stephen, given our observations, I believe that the instrument is originally a wood top Lachenal, later converted.

Why?, the mind boggles.

If the extra buttons are 'novelties', on Crabb instruments they were only included as and when, so there are no plans in the archive that definitely include them. Hence my puzzlement.

I have attached a comparison with a standard Crabb 38 for interest

Cheffins Anglo comparison.docx 

Geoff