Learning

WOW!!!! I had no idea there was so much difference in a concertina.  I bought this one and it is SO much easier to play than the first one I got.  I mean it is amazing!  This is so much easier, I don't know why but it is, and therefore much more fun.  I was already loving concertinas with the first one but now, there's no stopping me!  I know already I am going to want at least a 30 button eventually and I've been looking on you tube at some harmonic ones (I know I have a long way to go to get to that point) too.  I just thought I would share how exciting this is.  The new one is a Bastari.  I know nothing about it such as age etc. but it seems to be a huge step up for me from the first one.

Bastari 1.jpg

Bastari 2.jpg

• Like 1

One of the buttons on the left hand side is a little harder to push than the others but it does work.  I guess eventually I will take it apart and have a look to see what the problem is.  I'm sure I can probably fix it since I am really handy and there is so much information everywhere on how to do so.  But I'm not going to do it right away since it does work and I am tickled to death with it.  Oh no!  A button just got stuck.  I did get it to come back up but it got stuck again right away.  I guess I'll have to go ahead and take it apart now.  Still so excited though. 

Edited by Sandra A

1 hour ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Persevere with your concertina find; shopwill.com sounds like a good thrift store to me.. and seems to aim to help people find their way in the world in these difficult times. I have never heard of it until now.🌝🌝

Shopgoodwill.com mostly shows inexpensive, Chinese/Italian made 20 button instruments. Occasionally, an EC or good quality 'tina appears, so look regularly!

Thanks arti and Simon.  Jim, yes, I know that shopgoodwill  has a lot of cheap stuff on there but I have stayed away from those.  I researched the Bastari before I bid on it and it seemed like it would be good for a beginner who doesn't have a lot of money.  

3 hours ago, Sandra A said:

I bought this one and it is SO much easier to play than the first one I got.  I mean it is amazing!  This is so much easier, I don't know why but it is, and therefore much more fun. ...  The new one is a Bastari.

Just wait until you try (not even buy, just try) a well-made (and taken care of) Wheatstone, Lachenal, Jeffries, or comparable concertina.

David Barnert I wish.  I live in the middle of nowhere and there isn't any place within a couple of hours to try one.  I'm thinking that as I learn I will move up with them until I can finally get one of the ultimate concertinas like you have mentioned.  It might be a dream but it never hurts to dream and dream big.

I am learning a lot more than I anticipated by fixing this stuck button and I still have to do the other one on the bottom.  If you manage to get one fixed it seems to throw a lot of the others off since they are not lined up just so to come through the holes without getting stuck again.  I put it back together and am going to have to take it apart again.  Now some of the buttons are playing more than one note.  I don't know why but will figure it out and I guess I will learn how to tune it also if necessary. 

If you are not a patient person I would not advise doing this :wacko: 

You can get a lot of teething problems on instruments; I have had my share over the years on my hohner 30 button. I learned to service it myself soon enough. Once worked in and played they can settle down with use and will adapt to your way of playing them. I got buttons sent from Italy years back and keep spare parts for my own use .. so never throw anything out .. as it can be used if need be in future.

Remember at end of day it is also not just instrument but you the musician that can make your instrument sound or sing, with even limited means🌝. My first concertina was 20 button made in Germany cost £50 in  1988.. and I got hours of pleasure with it; and it got my skills honed up before I went onto my 30 button one some 11 years later🌝, Don't be put off if your progress is maybe sleet than you expected.. persevere🌝

12 hours ago, Sandra A said:

David Barnert I wish.  I live in the middle of nowhere and there isn't any place within a couple of hours to try one.  I'm thinking that as I learn I will move up with them until I can finally get one of the ultimate concertinas like you have mentioned.  It might be a dream but it never hurts to dream and dream big.

I don't know exactly where Middle of Nowhere, GA is located, but Bob Tedrow is about 2 hours away from Atlanta on I-20. He is a great source of information and usually has a number of concertinas on hand (sometimes ones that he has made).

Bob Tedrow, Homewood Music, 1712 28th Ave S, Homewood, AL 35209  (205) 879-4868

https://hmi.homewood.net/

Thank you Jim 2010.  I have already looked him up and eventually when I can afford a really, really great concertina I will most likely go and get it from him.  It would be about a 4.5-5 hour drive.  Thank you for letting me know about him though, I just found him yesterday.

This site with all of the information and help from people is so nice.  I have been reading about how to fix my concertina with the sticking buttons correctly and ordered the tubing recommended for them to keep them where they are supposed to be on the levers this morning.  It should be here next week, so you know what I'll be doing when it arrives.  One of the little paper/leather thingys on the reed block fell off and there was mention of replacing them too but I don't know what they are called or where to get some more but I'll get to that after I fix the buttons.  A lot of what I have read is that they are applied with bees wax mixed with rosin or gum arabic, both of which I have.  Several of those paper things are curled way up and I am not sure if they are supposed to be like that.  I don't think so, if someone knows please let me know.  It looks like I am going to know this thing inside and out and hopefully I can get it tuned and sounding great like it did before the button kept getting stuck.  I want to get this done asap since it is so much fun.

2 hours ago, Sandra A said:

Several of those paper things are curled way up and I am not sure if they are supposed to be like that.  I don't think so, if someone knows please let me know.

I think you’re talking about the valves. Rectangular flaps that keep the air from passing through the reeds in the wrong direction.

Your instrument has accordion reeds. Here is a video by someone who repairs accordions about how to replace reed valves.

Thank you David.  I just watched it.  I learned earlier today on you tube that accordion valves would probably work on the concertina but I'm not sure of the sizes.  Then others said I could cut them down but that the weight might be too much for any smaller reeds.   They also come in assorted sizes.  I have learned an awful lot about valves, reeds and how to replace them today.  I can't find the glues they are using either, it seems to be two specific types of shoe glue and others use wax.  I sent messages to two places that sell the glue to see if they would ship to the US, they are in the UK but haven't heard back yet, probably has to do with the time difference..  I think the glue would be easiest if I could find it.  This is actually pretty interesting and learning how to do all of it on this particular not pricey one is good.  There is no way I would do it on a much nicer model.  I am hoping I can get it to sound great in the long run since it is so much more fun and easier to play than the first one I got.

1 hour ago, Sandra A said:

I learned earlier today on you tube that accordion valves would probably work on the concertina but I'm not sure of the sizes.

The reed assemblies in your instrument (the reeds, the plates they are mounted on, and the valves attached to the plates) are made for accordions. Accordion valves wouldn’t work in concertinas with real concertina reeds, but the valves yours came with are accordion valves.

Concertina reeds and valves:

spares%20valves%20example%201.JPG

Accordion reeds and valves in a concertina:

Frontalini2.JPG

Thank you David.  I just watched it.  I learned earlier today on you tube that accordion valves would probably work on the concertina but I'm not sure of the sizes.  Then others said I could cut them down but that the weight might be too much for any smaller reeds.   They also come in assorted sizes.  I have learned an awful lot about valves, reeds and how to replace them today.  I can't find the glues they are using either, it seems to be two specific types of shoe glue and others use wax.  I sent messages to two places that sell the glue to see if they would ship to the US, they are in the UK but haven't heard back yet, probably has to do with the time difference..  I think the glue would be easiest if I could find it.  This is actually pretty interesting and learning how to do all of it on this particular not pricey one is good.  There is no way I would do it on a much nicer model.  I am hoping I can get it to sound great in the long run since it is so much more fun and easier to play than the first one I got.

Thank you David for the pictures.  What a huge difference!  Are all "real" concertinas set up like in the first picture in a circle?  What are those things that look like band aids with the rounded corners in the first picture?