Learning

35 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

for the time being I‘m perfectly happy with the somewhat restricted options of this basic layout (which got me going once again) - there’s nothing wrong with it, enjoy!

I'm glad you are coming back to it and are enjoying it again.  Do you know why you stopped when you got the one with 30 + more buttons?  I will probably wait to upgrade until I feel confident on this one but then again, it might be really nice to have the extra notes especially for harmonies if/when I ever get to that point.  If you are like me and love the sound of them it makes me really really want to learn to play and play well.

Maybe you should by a basic new concertina that is working,straight out of the box, enough to start trying it out at the least, and you can still learn the ropes of repair at same time on your other ones? I cannot vouch for which make at budget price, as some can be quite basic, but maybe for temporary need it could get you going for now?  Particularly if it is short term need.🌝🌝

• Like 1

I'm glad you came back to it Wolf especially if you are having as much fun as I am.

Simon, I have read about so many cheap ones online and I don't think I want to go that route right now.  I'll do the valves on this one and then see how it goes.  If I can't get it to work properly, then I might go ahead and see if I can find a used in good shape Lachenal 20b or some kind of 30 button that should last a long time without needing a lot of work on it.  

• Like 1

20b Lachenal Anglos with Mahogany ends are quite affordable (about 400 to 450 GBP) and commonly much better than their reputation (I have one myself, my first Anglo, apart from a 20b „Hohner“ which was (and still is, I guess) really bad

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

20b Lachenal Anglos with Mahogany ends

That sounds like something I really might end up with.  A better quality and nice to look at too.

I took the valves off and turned them around, rolled them to see if they will stay down and glued them back on.  I have to let it cure overnight and will see tomorrow if that worked or not.  I'm thinking it probably won't but it never hurts to try.

I still have the first concertina I got that is harder to play but am still learning on it anyway.  The hand straps are much too large, think gorilla hands, so I need to take them off and shorten them and that might make it easier.

I poked holes in the straps and tied them together so they are tighter with twine on the first one I got and it makes it much easier to hold the concertina and push/pull it. It looks ridiculous but it works.  :)  Working my way through Gary's first book.  Practice, practice, practice.  Loving these instruments!

Flipping the valves didn't work.  I can still play it but it has a drone effect with the leaky valve/valves.  The micrometer measuring thing is supposed to arrive today, then I can measure and order new valves.  I am going to get leather valves since that is what is on it.  I have found there are plastic ones nowadays too but that sometimes they make noise opening and closing, more on the closing part.  Has anyone here used the plastic ones and if so, do you like them?  I WILL get this thing to sound right again, going to take some time obviously but I can deal with it.  Patience Sandra, patience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandra A said:

Flipping the valves didn't work.  I can still play it but it has a drone effect with the leaky valve/valves.  The micrometer measuring thing is supposed to arrive today, then I can measure and order new valves.  I am going to get leather valves since that is what is on it.  I have found there are plastic ones nowadays too but that sometimes they make noise opening and closing, more on the closing part.  Has anyone here used the plastic ones and if so, do you like them?  I WILL get this thing to sound right again, going to take some time obviously but I can deal with it.  Patience Sandra, patience.

If there's a drone effect that's not from leaking valves. The valves are there to prevent air being wasted by going through the reed that isn't sounding. If a note that you're not playing is sounding, that must be because it's pad is not closing completely over the hole. That in turn could be due to any of several causes.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Richard Mellish said:

If a note that you're not playing is sounding, that must be because it's pad is not closing completely over the hole.

Ahhh.  I didn't know that.  They look like they are all closing flat and snugly.  The valves, however are curled up and not closing at all so I thought that was where the air going over the reeds was coming from.  I'll take it apart and check it out again but when I did the buttons everything opening and closing looked fine, no gaps that I could see.  While I was doing that two of the leather valves fell off so I thought that was the problem and put them back on in various ways , all to no avail.  They still curl and don't cover the holes.  I ordered valves about an hour ago and they should be here in a few days.  Thank you for your advice, I am learning so much.  

44 minutes ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

over 24 years of use anyway

I'm jealous.  However, I am learning a lot though.  Maybe when I am finished doing all of this mine will last for 24 years too.  Wish me luck :)

1 hour ago, Richard Mellish said:

That in turn could be due to any of several causes.

Yes, I noticed when researching a lot of this springs and pads might be a problem.  I am determined to get it done and it will work beautifully in the end.  

1 hour ago, Sandra A said:

I'm jealous.  However, I am learning a lot though.  Maybe when I am finished doing all of this mine will last for 24 years too.  Wish me luck :)

Thank you Sandra, of course in those. 24 years I have had to overcome problems also; and still need to adjust things here and there, even now I recently made my own spring to replace a weak one inside for example. ( Out of piano wire)! They ( concertinas)..all have their own character; likes and dislikes, but give great pleasure to musician. ( And hopefully, audience too!😊)..?

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

I have had to overcome problems also; and still need to adjust things here and there, even now I recently made my own spring to replace a weak one inside for example

Thank you Simon for your support and encouragement in helping me on this.  I am not going to give up.  I really do like this concertina much more than the first one and want it to work properly.  But like you, I have learned and am learning a lot about these and all of the very small moving parts that makes them work.  It is going to take some time but in the meanwhile I am still using both of them and learning where ones fingers are supposed to be and using the air button correctly too.  On the one I redid the buttons I hardly ever have to use the air button the bellows work much better on this one. I love it!  

• Like 1