Looking for Ornamentation Resources

Hello hello this is my first post on this here forum. I want to get an idea of what ornamentation (in particular for irish trad music) looks like on concertina. I have some experience on the whistle but anyway I was just wondering if there are particular videos/books/general advice about for concertina. I played around a tiny bit but wasn't really getting anywhere. Thanks! 

Edit: completely forgot, I'm working with a 20b C/G anglo here, but 30b specific stuff is still welcome; I'm pretty experienced with a few other instruments and can probably work something out with it!

Edited by cogito_ergo_erro

You could do worse than to look at Volume 1 of Breathnach's Ceol Rince na hEireann at the pages showing ornaments on different instruments. The text is written in Irish in my copy, but easy enough to sort out. Where it shows a cran on low D for pipes it shows the ornament (would I call it a roll? A grace note? I don't know) as I've heard it done on accordion and concertina. There is much more info out there but that might get you started. Have fun!

Ken

• 2 months later...

The text is written in Irish in my copy, but easy enough to sort out.

A translation of all text in CRE, by Paul de Grae, is online here. Breathnach does not give ornamentation for the concertina so perhaps a different source would suit better.

Edited by Peter Laban

I would say that referring to a general music book could help out; a basic book on music theory will show some examples of ' trills' or grace notes that may help you.

You may find that some effects are easy on Anglo concertina, and others more tricky; so also make up your own methods too.. for example quickly working the bellows can add a vibrato effect, and also .. dextrous  use of fingers on buttons can create the trills' ..

I imagine that a lot of performers use their own individual approach, rather than one fixed method.

So have a go.. start doing it your own way.. 

🌝🌝