London Chaos

As an ex-Londoner and now daily commuter may I say that it has been a difficult day. May I also say that to come home - eventually - and to read messages of concern from net-friends is a true celebration of our shared humanity.

Thank you for your concern and for your friendship.

Roger

My nephew was on the train near Kings Cross, but he's ok. Others are not so lucky. :(

Yes, I found out after I'd posted here that a friend of mine was on that train too - and she was in the carriage in front of the one that went up :( Thankfully she's completely unhurt too.

Roger, Al, glad to hear that you're both well.

I remember asking the same question for reassurance in a number of emails after September 2001. Thankfully I was reassured then for those that I knew. My closest encounter to this sort of thing was a long wait at a station after a security alert. I last worked in London 14 years ago, and I am grateful that no longer applies, though I occasionally have visits there. I feel for all those affected.

- John Wild

Dominique and I have caught snippets of BBC radio all day over this and are still in shock. Our prayers and thoughts go out to all effected and in a very real sense that means all of us.

Dominique and Mark

Has anyone heard from Chris Timson?

I have, and he's doing pretty well!

I live a good distance from London, but I'm London born and bred and lived in the East end until my mid-30s. Consequently the emotional roller coaster of first the Olympic bid and then the bombs (I used to work next door to the London hospital) has rather got to me. My brother and sister still live in London, and both are well, I am glad to say.

A horrible day.

Chris

Hard to know what to say.

Not that I'm at a loss for words, but few of them are comforting, or appropriate to a Forum where discussions of politics, religion, and strongly held opinions not directly related to music are best avoided.

Of course, I feel sympathy for those hurt, directly or indirectly, and anger towards those responsible, directly or indirectly. And I would like to comfort everyone... but I can't.

John Roberts is home from the hospital. In one sense, his story has reached a happy ending. In another sense, it has reached a happy new beginning. Neither can be said here. As I said in response to someone's comment about returning to "business as usual" after the 9/11 tragedy:

Shops will return to normal.

Souls will not.

I feel for all those affected.

That should be most of the world, but I fear that many of them won't feel so.

My respect for the calm and determined attitude of the London population.

I like to think that most people would prove themselves worthy of the same respect in a similar situation.

I do wonder, though, about the feelings of those who still remember the bombings of London in WWII.

I have been to London today and the Capital is almost as though nothing has happened.

The trains are running and most of the tube and bus services.

Jim, I was only about four but I remember clearly the bombs of WW11 and being in the air raid shelter dug into our back garden in Clapham.We lived half way between the Armaments factory and Clapham Junction railway station,which was the largest terminal in London.We were constantly bombed and I was woken up many times to be taken to the shelter.The school playground where I played and where my Grandfather was caretaker was completely demolished as was the house two doors away.The cracks in the wall following the bombing were so large you could shake hands through the wall to the people next door.The search lights were scanning the sky through the night lighting up my bedroom,very scary for a four year old.

If you go through that and many did the spirit of the public shows through and our peculiar sense of humour probably comes from those times.My hatred for the enemy lasted a long time and seeing dancers in East Germany enjoying our music and being so welcome and friendly was a very emotional experiance.

These current bombings although tragic will not change us,perhaps it is those brainwashed fanatics who think it will ,will eventually get the message and try the alternative peace solution.

Al

For all C.netters from Great Britain, please accept my condolences for any personal losses you may have suffered yesterday. Every generation has had its troubles to face, live through, and hopefully overcome. I guess international terrorism is ours.