Simon Gabrielow

Just a thought; why are so many concertina boxes hexagonal in shape; I know you may be say .. "because that's the shape of them".. but really, practically speaking, it can be hell getting them out every time you want to use it!

Square box is better(I believe) I made my own, where my beloved concertina goes after each session is over! A sort of protective veneered box, the square shape gives space for the hands to more easily remove instrument when required. Due to the gap at the sides..

Just a practical thought ( not intended to be criticism).

Have you read through the concertina FAQ yet? It is maintained by C.netter Chris Timson and covers many historical aspects of the instrument...it may address this choice of Sir Charles Wheatstone (IIRC, basically that a cylindrical shape was sonically ideal to him).

www.concertina.info

Ken

Edited to add: Sorry I misunderstood your question! Indeed the hex cases are an oddity - too many old instruments were stored on end as a result, causing the valves to curl and stop working. Happy case hunting.

Whatever the shape of the case, two things are important: 1) It should be “blocked” to hold the bellows closed, and 2) It should be oriented so that the concertina rests horizontally rather than vertically, to keep the flap valves from hanging away from the reed pan and becoming curled (early hexagonal cases got this wrong).

I hope I  am adding more thoughts in the right place on this site; anyway, adding to thoughts about boxes for concertinas; here's my own concertina's box, where it lives and rests after use each day! It is a squared veneered box with inlayed musical note design, with mahogany veneer, and lighter wood note shapes [made back in 1999].DSCF0258.thumb.JPG.44b5d00998e67cd770d68fd2425218c5.JPG

6 minutes ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

I hope I  am adding more thoughts in the right place on this site

The right place, yes. In the future you might consider giving threads you start a more appropriate title (“Shape of concertina cases,” for instance, rather than your name).

8 minutes ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

here's my own concertina's box, where it lives and rests after use each day! It is a squared veneered box with inlayed musical note design, with mahogany veneer, and lighter wood note shapes [made back in 1999].

Very nice. You obviously put a lot of work into it. Without seeing the inside and how the instrument fits in it, I can’t judge whether it meets the two criteria I mentioned above. Do you have another case that you use to carry the concertina outside your home?

It rests end down, inside a terrifically over padded bag with a soft material interior; it really  gets pampered like someone's precious baby! [quite funny really].  And there it stays until used again! Its been stored this way for years with no ill effect.

No, I do not have a particular carrying case; but use an older version of this box instead [square again] and veneered; and adequate to carry around too.  Last year I took it in other case to do test performance in a location, in York, interior of a chapel with lovely echoey acoustic, and was in temporary box, padded, with carrier bag over the lot [as it was rainy weather]! Incidentally - The notes inlayed on the photo of box attached is a real playable melody!

Simon,

does your rather fine looking box hold the concertina with it's axis horizontal or is the instrument sat on it's end?

I refer you to David Barnett's statements about valves. The old hexagonal boxes had one major flaw, and a more minor flaw.

The major flaw ( happens to all instruments in the box style) was that they sat the instrument on it's end, axis vertical this seriously damages, even destroys valve operation, it can reduce the life of a set of valves by several years.

The minor flaw ( happens to some) was that in some instances the instrument is not so easy to get in and out of the box resulting in bellows damage and occasional thumbs strap anchorage damage on English system instruments. 

Hello, I am replying to topic on boxes for storing concertinas; I was asked if my own box stores it horizontal or on end axis.. well, it goes in end on actually; but the bag it goes in is so well padded with a satin material that it seems not to have caused issue at all ( in over 23 years of use!). It contains 30 key Anglo  concertina ( of the Hohner variety)!! And that still plays very nicely too! When I take instrument out to use then the cloth bag it is in is pulled up with it inside too.. so no damage is done!  Sorry for rather long explanation but hope it answers your question.

flap valves from hanging away from the reed pan and becoming curled

I wonder how relevant the type of case is.

How you store the case with the concertina inside is the relevant part.

If you use it to travel on vacation, to a session etc then the time period it is in the vertical position is surely not enough to let the valves take on a curl.

ie if you want to store your Jeffries inside it's jug type leather case, store it on its side.

I wonder, to add to discussion, on concertina boxes, whether it depends upon the weight of the instrument as to it causing 'curl' or damage to mechanism when stored? Or if stored end on? My own concertina is quite light in weight  (Anglo, with light nickel alloy face plate).. I know from my own first Anglo ( years ago) that they often are made with a little strap fitted to close them.

7 minutes ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

I wonder, to add to discussion, on concertina boxes, whether it depends upon the weight of the instrument as to it causing 'curl' or damage to mechanism when stored? Or if stored end on? My own concertina is quite light in weight  (Anglo, with light nickel alloy face plate).. I know from my own first Anglo ( years ago) that they often are made with a little strap fitted to close them.

No, the problem has to do with the little leather flap valves inside falling open under their own weight and over time developing a permanent curl. I suspect that would be a lot less likely to happen on an instrument with accordion-style reed blocks and plastic valves.

Yes, that's a thought [ the leather flaps] ..

But just to say that I am aware my own type does indeed have 'Accordion style' reeds, which may not be the ideal for the absolute purist, in themselves, but I love the big sound of them, and the depth of tone.  I tried it out in a little audition inside a chapel once; and it filled the whole space within with a great resounding tone! 

I feel that I must point out, however, that on my own model [ I have had for years now] that there are absolutely NO PLASTIC VALVES  involved at all.. its steel reeds, felt flaps, and light wooden reed pan setup inside [screwed into place]. Maybe later on they switched to other materials.

I think many of us (certainly myself) assumed, because of the obviously loving care with which you treat your concertina, that it was a vintage instrument constructed in the traditional English fashion. Clearly, this is not the case. We were (I was) wrong. Enjoy your concertina (as you have been). Don’t change a thing about how you treat it.

Thanks Mr. Barnett.. about my own {seemingly controversial choice in concertina) yes it is indeed more modern than many; although I have had it for nearly quarter of a century by now! But is has - whether people believe it or not, done me good service over that time. And I do take care of it best I can.

I have re-read my reply about concertina reeds, boxes, and hope I did not come across as abrupt on the matter? Indeed one does get attached ( as I am sure you know yourself) to a particular instrument; as it's part of how you express yourself, but I was only clarifying small facts; I often have a good laugh, and have a sense of humour!

I think people are like their own instruments; people have lungs and so does a concertina. People have throats and voice chords; so does concertina (reeds to speak)!

The sound as air let in by bellows is not unlike a sigh at the end of a long hard day's work!

There we are; I have sad it!

It's great to debate these things between everyone; that's how we all learn, at least I believe. 

not all accordion reeds have the plastic or wire helpers, although I did assume you were talking a traditionally built instrument. If anyone is reading this who is unsure or knows that they have a traditionally built concertina, then please store it or keep it axis horizontal.