im building a piano fingered concertina

On 4/27/2021 at 9:15 PM, David Barnert said:

I don’t see anything there, either. Just an empty square with a question mark in it and “image.png” (using Safari on a Mac).

Can this interface display png’s? Maybe it should be a jpeg.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:45 PM, JimR said:

That image did not work for me on Firefox (asked for a Google login).

http://concertinamuseum.com/CM00394.htm 

Edited by Bassconcertina.net

I had one of these a few years ago. I did quite a bit on it but was unable to get it into playing order, as the ends were warped. I sold it to someone in Munich, who was very happy with it. Unfortunately, I didn’t make a note of the tuning.

17 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

Indeed, though some were made with a diatonic left-hand side... 

I think I've seen those from Italy (or Germany?), but did any of the English makers do that?

8 hours ago, JimLucas said:

I think I've seen those from Italy (or Germany?), but did any of the English makers do that?

Piano-fingered concertinas seem to have been a German invention Jim, patented in England on 9th July 1862 by C. F. W. Rust (for F. Glier). After that patent expired they were manufactured in England by George Jones, and later Lachenal & Co.

Versions with a diatonic left-hand side ddn't come along until much later again. These catalogue entries are from the Klingenthal firms Meinel & Herold, and Hess, in the 1930s, but I've never seen an English-made instrument of this type:

Photo0806.jpg

Photo0805.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 2:44 AM, Stephen Chambers said:

Versions with a diatonic left-hand side ddn't come along until much later again. These catalogue entries are from the Klingenthal firms Meinel & Herold, and Hess, in the 1930s, but I've never seen an English-made instrument of this type:

Yeah, that's the type I was asking about.  And if you've never seen one, I doubt that anybody has.  8^)

• 11 months later...
On 5/3/2021 at 8:44 PM, Stephen Chambers said:

Piano-fingered concertinas seem to have been a German invention Jim, patented in England on 9th July 1862 by C. F. W. Rust (for F. Glier). After that patent expired they were manufactured in England by George Jones, and later Lachenal & Co.

Photo0806.jpg

Photo0805.jpg

I found one vary similar to the ones on this add. https://akkordeon-museum.ch/klavier-concertina-mit-wechselton-einzel-bass-mixte-blau-23-12/

I have had a 54 key piano key duet made by H Crabb, metal ended, six inches across the ends . I tuned it to concert pitch and it was sold through the auspices of Emmanuel Pariselle to a French customer who travelled between France and the USA , it was easier to take with him than a large bandonion he also played.

Mike

PS this concertina was from the turn of the 20th century

19 hours ago, Mike Acott said:

I have had a 54 key piano key duet made by H Crabb, metal ended, six inches across the ends . I tuned it to concert pitch and it was sold through the auspices of Emmanuel Pariselle to a French customer who travelled between France and the USA , it was easier to take with him than a large bandonion he also played.

Mike

54 pairs of reeds seem an awful lot to fit into that size of concertina.

On 5/18/2022 at 2:30 PM, Mike Acott said:

Mike

Crabb 8827 (1907) Piano layout. 54 button.2133680800_Crabb8827PianoTinaL1907.thumb.jpg.2c6a30c5aa6f9dab5952e9ec3756f7fd.jpg576702412_Crabb8827PianoTinaR1907.thumb.jpg.12adf17d2a7863ca46d70a0833d9d51e.jpg 

Edited by Geoffrey Crabb