What is your Concertina highlight

I can remember being in a small playing group, and John Dixon used to join us occasionally. I also played alongside Archie Watson, the last surviving member of the Mexborough concertina band. He had been a bugler in the first world war, and joined the band to join his brother and uncle straight on demobbing. Archie had a wonder band playing style.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 10:54 PM, Alan Day said:

I had the pleasure of communicating with the late John Nixon X Bolton Concertina band EC Player, who played his Concertina on the Frog Chorus Paul Mc Cartney.

Al

That was recorded about 1984, but if you see the 1979 Roman Polanski film version of 'Tess of the Durbervilles', John is also leading the procession at the beginning. John kindly gave me a box of his videos after he had them converted to DVDs. I must do the same sometime soon!

1 hour ago, wes williams said:

if you see the 1979 Roman Polanski film version of 'Tess of the Durbervilles', John is also leading the procession at the beginning.

I found this. Unfortunately the actual soundtrack has been replaced with something ridiculously inappropriate.

Until a few moments ago, I hadn’t seen this scene since the week the film was released in 1979.

36 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

I found this. Unfortunately the actual soundtrack has been replaced with something ridiculously inappropriate.

OMG! "Ridiculously inappropriate" is one of the larger understatements that I've ever read! How to get the memory out of my mind?

13 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Just to be clear, Polanski has a lot to answer for but not this sound track.

"Images from Roman Polanski's "Tess" (1979) - featuring Nastassja Kinski & Peter Firth - based on the novel "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy. Song performed by The Libertines, from their 2002 album "Up the Bracket"

There are so many highlights.

Until I think of another one, I would put playing improvisations in an instrumental section of a performance of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" with my old group Blind Panic back in the 90's. This was on D/G anglo with pickups and through a chorus pedal, digital delay pedal and graphic equaliser! We used to call it the welsh song...... "knocking on Evans' door".

Recently with the current trio (Caffrey/McGurk/Madge) I would put playing my own tune "Coire Laggan" together with "Farewell to Tawathy", I really love the way they complement each other. Next album I think.

Robin